Edge Closets & Storage

LorraineP

14 hours ago, Oville said:

Tried to send pic of IV closet but it was too dark, I don’t think cruisestitch cabin was an IV but I could be wrong.

See post 44 of my AQ class EDGE review..( link below) closet shot

it looked like what was posted...long space on left..short hanging space on right..just over the safe... we managed for 7 days...next up...9 days SV

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 1

There are plenty of drawers & lots & lots of cubbies in the wrap around wall from the entrance to the closet. Where ever you see the grey “wood look” wall, they are actually doors that open with cubbies behind them. I didn’t even realize this space until a couple of days into the cruise, when the couple we were traveling with mentioned it. I then used those cubbies as a shoe closet. As reported the hanging space is sparse, but I was able to store everything, even though we don’t rewear our clothes. There are no drawers in the night table, only cubbies.

• Like 1

For those of you who requested where to find my review of the Edge, I am sorry to inform you that after 6 days Cruise Critic still has not approved my review.  This is the second time I posted this review. It has been 2 months since the 1st posting and it is no where to be found on the site.  The review was professional and honest.  From what I have read, it looks like Celebrity took some of my criticism and implemented either my suggestions or their own solution.  It is a good thing I also sent my review directly to Celebrity by way of their survey.

Happy Sailing!!!!

On 3/27/2019 at 4:58 PM, WestLakeGirl said:

Yes that’s all there is for hanging clothes.  If you fold a lot of your clothes you might be all right.  It was tight for us on a seven night cruise because I hang virtually all my clothes.  I can’t imagine it for a transatlantic.  

You’ll soon find out, because I’ll post during or after my TA this month. Wish me luck😎

On 3/28/2019 at 11:27 AM, Lovecruising50 said:

Hi, it seems like Cruise Critic did not approve of my review or it was deleted.  I have resubmitted the review.  I will check back to see if it gets posted.

After having spent far too much time trying to use the CC review template last year, I punted on it, and posted my review as a new thread on the Celebrity forum. I’ll look forward to seeing your review, wherever it appears😊

4 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

I find that they work quite well for sleeveless garments and rain jackets, thus giving us more space for other clothing. 

They also sell thin soft covered hangars.....not great for heavy items but  they do save space and are kind to clothes!

Just now, hcat said:

They also sell thin soft covered hangars.....not great for heavy items but  they do save space and are kind to clothes!

Great idea. Thanks!  Since United wants to charge me a fortune for my steamer trunk, I’m trying to pack light for a fifteen night TA🤣 We shall be very thankful for our new (to us) Elite laundry benefit.

You all realize that there are 3 hanging racks in the picture, don't you? And the robes hang nicely on knobs in the bathroom. Shoes go under the bed. Lots of cupboards for folded clothes and a nice sized set of drawers. The only area that is tight is the full length hanging space. Having done many cruises, I don't understand why one must take ALL their clothes out of the suitcase at once and find somewhere to hang them. My wife and I had 2 changes of clothes each day, plus pool/beach wear and gym clothes. Everything fit just fine. Didn't even use all the cupboards. Be sensible - don't bring big outfits, or any that wrinkle. And the laundry does a good job of washing and folding anything to be cleaned. Really, no one will notice if you wear something twice.

5 hours ago, Lovecruising50 said:

Good morning all.  My review of the EDGE has been posted.  Please let me know if the link does not work.

http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/?qs=b86f590b9bfc64d6b6869ea2e4a6f7805f3b652cdfad064a213277adb64fa6c9b544683b205080fc5acefcb0e012a4c37272284c095ad721

Thanks for a detailed and well written review.

We liked the Edge,  are returning in Nov  and also booked APEX fir next yr ( both cruises in a Sunset Veranda) .

We agree with some of your points, esp no  view from BLU , the  corridor to get there  and EDEN being a hazard, and the low to ground seating in EDEN. 

We  also had many positives and  feel there are areas that can easily be improved. Glad to hear they are back to serving dinner on EDGE,..they suspended that due to hi winds..but  it was nice to have  am drinks out there...

The IV was our one real disappointment with our Edge Cruise.

The lack of storage was an issue for us.  We travel with our 7 and 8 year old boys and it was a struggle finding room for everything.  Yes - I like to fully unpack when we board and not rotate clothes in and out of a suitcase.  On S class ships we fully utilize the over the bed storage - so losing this made things much more difficult.  The closet is tiny and there are not enough real drawers.  The "cupboards" in the rounded are of the closet are just silly.  Who wants triangular shelves?  I managed to put some of my clothes there as I had no choice (guess who drew the short straw and didn't get the drawers) - but it was not at all convenient.

As others have mentioned in many threads, the "veranda" space was pretty much worthless and we only bothered opening our "window" once or twice.  The novelty wore off - then there was really no point in having it open (unless we wanted the cabin to become a sauna).  Really missed having a true veranda that we often use.

We loved our cruise - but were just really disappointed with the cabin.

Mike

My husband and I had no issues with storage. The dresser is good size. I took 2 pant hangers that hold 4 pairs each. The robes in our room were a new thinner material. We hung them on bathroom door. Lots of small cubby space you just need to find it. Next to beds are 3 cubbies on each side. Now if I had to take clothes for 10 nights or more it would be hard.

Edited by lovrccl

We'll definitely be needing laundry done on our 11 night Med cruise on the Edge.  Is there a bulk laundry option or will it  be charged by the piece?   I know dry cleaning is by the piece and hope that's not the case for washed laundry.

Carole

1 hour ago, caroak said:

We'll definitely be needing laundry done on our 11 night Med cruise on the Edge.  Is there a bulk laundry option or will it  be charged by the piece?   I know dry cleaning is by the piece and hope that's not the case for washed laundry.

Carole

I don't know about Edge but I'm currently on Solstice and the laundry bag offer is $49.95. I'm going to be checking individual prices carefully as I'm not sure we could fit $49.95 worth of laundry in one bag.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:34 AM, Lovecruising50 said:

........Experienced cruisers should have been consulted prior to designing the EDGE.  I hope they do not mess up the other class ships with this ridiculous design. 

Deja vu! 

This is exactly what people were saying when they introduced the S-class ships, with storage cabinets placed high above the beds, and those inconveniently located, hard-to-reach closets, eliminating the convenient, practical M-class bedside nightstands and the handy,  easily reachable stack of 6 usable drawers.

So I was thinking surely they will not make such mistakes again with the new Edge class.  By now they certainly know to ask for input from their experienced Celebrity cruisers so they can learn in advance what works and what doesn't work.

But I was so wrong.

Edited by fleckle

18 hours ago, twodjs said:

You all realize that there are 3 hanging racks in the picture, don't you? And the robes hang nicely on knobs in the bathroom. Shoes go under the bed. Lots of cupboards for folded clothes and a nice sized set of drawers. The only area that is tight is the full length hanging space. Having done many cruises, I don't understand why one must take ALL their clothes out of the suitcase at once and find somewhere to hang them. My wife and I had 2 changes of clothes each day, plus pool/beach wear and gym clothes. Everything fit just fine. Didn't even use all the cupboards. Be sensible - don't bring big outfits, or any that wrinkle. And the laundry does a good job of washing and folding anything to be cleaned. Really, no one will notice if you wear something twice.

posted this on another EDGE thread.,.but it really belongs on this thread,,so posting it here as well..hope doing that is not confusing!

I was just curious how you used the 3rd hanging bar on EDGE..  We could only use 2  main ones.  It was annoying that the third one did not fold back as it does on other ships..   We will manage  okay for 9 nites in the closet dept. because our cruise is port intensive and we are going more casual...Our first time on EDGE was a big birthday celebration...dressed up  more than we normally do, and have some beautiful prof photos ...

3 hours ago, hcat said:

posted this on another EDGE thread.,.but it really belongs on this thread,,so posting it here as well..hope doing that is not confusing!

I was just curious how you used the 3rd hanging bar on EDGE..  We could only use 2  main ones.  It was annoying that the third one did not fold back as it does on other ships..   We will manage  okay for 9 nites in the closet dept. because our cruise is port intensive and we are going more casual...Our first time on EDGE was a big birthday celebration...dressed up  more than we normally do, and have some beautiful prof photos ...

I hung up shirts on the 3rd bar -  similar height to the bar over the safe and the shorter part of the longest bar. As I mentioned, the only area that was lacking was the full length area. Would have been great to have that third lower bar fold out of the way.

21 hours ago, twodjs said:

One reason we like cruising is that you are able to unpack everything. If I wanted to keep things in suitcase I would do a land vacation. Laundry is not a good option for my drip dry tops, as the super hot water they use in laundry would ruin them. I do use the dry cleaners. I think the answer for Celebrity is not to cut down on current storage which has worked very well, especially on Solstice class with the over the bed storage, so much less to hang. We do have all wooden hangers and robes removed to give us more space.

Today I finally uploaded my AQ/IV cabin photos to my computer from the Inaugural cruise taken on the Edge.  I took pictures of the cabin and storage space along with all of our clothes, shoes, robes, etc. in place.  Sorry that the photos did not upload here in any particular order.  Press on the + sign, if needed, to get a full view photo.

We had plenty of storage for the 7 night cruise.  

Notice the collapsible canvas cubbies that I took for the bathroom.  They fit perfectly on the shelves.  I don't like my bath stuff hanging out exposed on the shelves.

Also notice that I took along two strong magnets to hang the bathrobes, and other clothing items, up on the walls.

Several things to note of  personal issues with the cabin. I know many of these issues have been previously mentioned.  Some  may not agree.  My comments are just DH's and my opinions.

1. Notice the close-up of the shower drain.  There was a hole from the shower leading out to the bathroom floor.  The entire floor flooded for the first few times that we used the shower.  The stateroom attendant says this was a flaw with all the showers because it was a French drain put in backwards.  I have not read any other complaints about this, so not sure that was true about all the showers.  Maybe just ours.  Anyway, each day, I rolled up a washcloth and stuck it in the hole on the shower side and placed a folded hand towel on the outside near the toilet.  This stopped the water from running everywhere.  After we both took showers, the wet towel was tossed into the shower for the attendant to take away.  

2. We thought the bathroom felt smaller than the Solstice class bathrooms.  The area around the toilet was narrow because of the ledge and the shower.  Some love the ledge and used it to store shampoo and other bath products.  Not us!  That would be too close to the toilet and unsanitary.

3. We also thought the door to the bathroom was narrow.   And the shower door was  in the way when opened.  Notice the photo of it opened after my husband got out.  I did not see that the door was opened and I ran right into it.  Yikes.  The glass was so clear.

4. The shower is an awkward size for a woman.  There was no way to use the leg shaver bar without getting completely drenched by the shower.  

5. Then there is the sink.  While a good generous size, we would have much preferred a little more counter space.  The sink was large enough for two to use had there been another faucet on the opposite side, like in the suites.  But we thought  a waste of space otherwise.  The faucet was not centered and too close to the mirror.  Always splashes up the mirror.

6.  No need going into the balcony/window/folding door issues.  I had previously talked about our experiences with the window freezing in the down and up positions...locked on beautiful days, and stuck down during a rain storm.  We only closed the folding doors once because it was too much trouble to arrange chairs, etc.

7. My husband commented that when the blind was down, the room looked like an industrial storage unit because of the narrowness and the texture/color of the shade.   Having said that, we did like it when the shade was open and weather was fair.   Window up or down, we had extra room within the stateroom to move around.  Hot days were not comfortable.  Cool days were a delight!  

8. The other things that were aggravating were the small (especially the smallest) bedside tables.  My poor husband had practically no top space because of the large phone and lamp.  And that's the side that had the smaller table, yet had the outlets for USB and electrical.  Thank goodness for the little storage stool.   Somebody didn't think that one through.  Same for the outlet box on the vanity.  Two of my hair appliances had larger electrical packs that would not fit inside the box.  The mirror over the dressing table fogged up if the window was open.

To sum it up, we survived our stay in the IV, but do not wish to stay in one again. 😉

IMG_9301.JPG

IMG_9303.JPG

IMG_9305.JPG

IMG_9306.JPG

IMG_9307.JPG

IMG_9308.JPG

IMG_9309.JPG

IMG_9310.JPG

IMG_9311.JPG

IMG_9312.JPG

IMG_9313.JPG

IMG_9314.JPG

IMG_9317.JPG

IMG_9318.JPG

IMG_9320.JPG

IMG_9322.JPG

IMG_9347.JPG

IMG_9348.JPG

IMG_9387.JPG

Edited by Iamthesea

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

I hung up shirts on the 3rd bar -  similar height to the bar over the safe and the shorter part of the longest bar. As I mentioned, the only area that was lacking was the full length area. Would have been great to have that third lower bar fold out of the way.

We'll check it out. Thanks for a new idea..

We divided the closet space in half..I took the longer side as I had sev dresses.

Dh had the side over the safe..,his pants were folded over the hangar with shirts over them..

We did not really see any use for the low bar so we ignored it...

IamSea

Thanks for posting the photos..,looks like you organized the space very well.  You had more shoes than we did but fewer hanging clothes.  Idea of the heavy duty  magnet is a good one!

Our shower leaked but they retrofitted some type of plastic guard that kept water in for the most part.,....