Getting off the ship a day early?

Looking to the experts for some direction here. Our upcoming cruise ports in Orlando a day before disembarkation in Ft. Lauderdale where we would need to travel by car to get to our one week Disney vacation in Orlando. Would be much simpler all around if we could just leave at Orlando. All our luggage is capable of being self-debarked. Just wondering if RCCL allows such a thing.

Anyone done this before and know the policy?

Thanks.

Probably not, but you will have to ask the cruise line.

Non US flagged commercial vessels are not allowed to embark a passenger in one US port and debark the passenger in another during the same voyage. I believe the relevant act is called the Passenger Vessels Services Act. A substantial fine (>$776) is usually assessed for each passenger unlawfully landed, see https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/23/~/the-jones-act-%26-the-passenger-vessel-services-act.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gospelle said:

Looking to the experts for some direction here. Our upcoming cruise ports in Orlando a day before disembarkation in Ft. Lauderdale where we would need to travel by car to get to our one week Disney vacation in Orlando. Would be much simpler all around if we could just leave at Orlando. All our luggage is capable of being self-debarked. Just wondering if RCCL allows such a thing.

Anyone done this before and know the policy?

Thanks.

Hi,

You can apply to RCI for permission (I think it's called down lining) and if approved will cost you $65.00. They will only approve if no problems apply with compliance with what they call the Jones Act.

We have been granted permission to leave the Ovation in Victoria a day earlier than it's arrival in Vancouver, but that is of course Canada and compliance rules may differ.

Have a great day - Glenn & Patricia

• Like 1

Really depends on what port you embarked on your cruise to know if it is even permitted by the PVSA.  If it doesn't conflict with that, then Royal can permit you to leave at Port Canaveral (Orlando).

I would also look very carefully into the customs situation and the laws per Broberts above.  People miss ships all the time and then have to figure out how to move on to their final destination. But you have the additional issue of being non-US residents and your problem is also about getting back into the US.  Frankly it sounds like too much risk for the supposed convenience of a shorter drive to the Orlando area.

As your cruise leaves from Quebec City you do not have to worry about any violations of the PVSA.

Royal has allowed this type of earl departure in the past and are now charging around $60 per person for this service if approved.

You must contact them ahead of your cruise to make arrangements.

Please direct any requests and/or questions to the following e-mail address or fax number: 
Fax Number: (305) 373-6695 
E-mail: AirSeaGFO@RCCL.com

Edited by Ourusualbeach

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal has allowed this type of earl departure in the past and are now charging around $60 per person for this service if approved.

Sometimes RCI screws up in the customer's favor and only charges for one person when there are two in the cabin.

• Like 1

Note that you are only saving a little over 2 hours by disembarking in Orlando vs Fort Lauderdale.  It's still an hour drive from Port Canaveral to Disney and about 3 - 3.5 hours from Fort Lauderdale to Disney.  Is it really worth cutting your cruise short and going through this hassle to save a couple of hours?  Personally, I'd rather finish the cruise.  You can self-disembark the following morning and be at Disney by lunch time anyways.

Enjoy Port Canaveral for the day.  Have a nice evening on your cruise, and head out to Disney in the morning from FLL.  No big deal.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davebhoy said:

If you were to accidentally return late to the ship, and it had sailed without you, would that have the same result ? Don't know what happens with luggage when folk miss the ship...

Sometimes the crew packs up the luggage and leaves it with the port agent.

Our son in law is currently on a Royal cruise ship. His grandmother passed away the day after embarkation.  He thought he would be able to leave the ship in Port Canaveral to fly home for the funeral but I told him to check first at Guest Services as a fine might be involved. He was told it would be $781.😳.  He decided not to leave the ship.

Sherri🙂

35 minutes ago, Davebhoy said:

If you were to accidentally return late to the ship, and it had sailed without you, would that have the same result ? Don't know what happens with luggage when folk miss the ship...

You may get your luggage (left with port agent) but you 'may' also get a hefty fine if Royal feel particularly aggrieved and pass it on to the passenger, as Sherri has posted.

Edited by icsys

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

As your cruise leaves from Quebec City you do not have to worry about any violations of the PVSA.

How did you know this? Trying to figure out what I missed!

9 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

How did you know this? Trying to figure out what I missed!

If a cruise either starts or ends from a non-US port, then the PVSA does not apply.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It would be more of whether Customs and Boarder Patrol would be willing to assign agents to give you the once over before entering the United States.

Orlando is not our first US port of call.

Just now, island lady said:

The ship does not stop in Orlando.  The stop is in Port Canaveral.  

No kidding.  Did you read my entire post or just the first sentence?

12 hours ago, broberts said:

Non US flagged commercial vessels are not allowed to embark a passenger in one US port and debark the passenger in another during the same voyage. I believe the relevant act is called the Passenger Vessels Services Act. A substantial fine (>$776) is usually assessed for each passenger unlawfully landed, see https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/23/~/the-jones-act-%26-the-passenger-vessel-services-act.

does not apply. we set sail from Canada

Edited by gospelle
typo

12 hours ago, broberts said:

does not apply. we se sail from Canada

I read on CC last year that the "snowbird migration" cruise it is called, had about 100 pax disembark one day early in Port Canaveral.  

There are some of us that live near PC...so that would be more preferred by those of us.  And obviously is allowed.