2 nights stay pre curise - LA, San Pedro or Long Beach

Bobstam

Hi all, we are cruising on Oct 20, 2019.  We will fly into LAX on Oct 18, we have 2 nights before the cruise, any suggestions on where to stay?  I know we will leave from San Pedro terminal but not sure there is enough to do right in the area for 2 days, Long Beach looks maybe a little more to offer and maybe more hotel options.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Edited by Bobstam

Last time we did this we stayed on the Queen Mary Hotel. It was really fabulous. There is a lot to do in the Long Beach area. It is an easy transfer from the hotel to the cruise. There is also a free bus, The Passport.

LBT’s Passport bus invites you to explore the diverse shops, restaurants, and activities that line every un-square block in Downtown Long Beach. Visit the Transit Visitor and Information Center on First St. and Pine Ave. for answers to all your LBT related questions. Visit www.lbtransit.com/services or call us to plan your trip or download the PDF schedule. The Passport takes you to the Queen Mary, Aquarium of the Pacific, Shoreline Village and the Pike Outlets.

• Like 2

Thank you both for input, we really have no idea what we want to do but we need to decide and make some plans.  Miami is a no brainer for us as we have been there a few times but LA area has us stumped.  Thanks again. 

Will you have any kind of transportation (like a rental car)?  There are tons of great places to stay here but they would require you have a rental car.  

From your choices, definitely stay in Long Beach.  The downtown area has several hotels with restaurants and entertainment within walking distance.  The Queen Mary is a fun option as well (but bring earplugs if you stay there, the walls are VERY thin).  You can take Lyft or Uber to the port from Long Beach, it's not far.  

We're heading to LA on April 26th for our April 28th cruise, and we have opted to stay at Marriott LAX Airport - just to rest, unwind, acclimate to the time change and enjoy the hotel's facilities. We have ordered a car to take us to the ship.

We have been to LA before so it's a been there done that place for us.

37 minutes ago, RedRover96 said:

We stayed on the Queen Mary awhile back on a Carnival Cruise, walked from "ship to ship" however how close it is or is the same as San Pedro terminal can't answer that

NCL docks in San Pedro, which  is 7 miles from Long Beach where the Queen Mary is docked . 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

I am doing an LA Bliss in April too @Bobstam and like you I am a Miami cruiser so this is a first. I am also doing two nights pre cruise. Unfortunately anything decent is pretty expensive in LA, but I did find an economical option called the Wilshire Motel. We’ll see how that goes.

but the point is, there is a ton to see and do in LA - especially apart from all the Hollywood stuff, if you’re not even interested in that - and EVERYTHING is far from everything else...so i figured, might as well stay in LA near some of the good stuff, because I’m going to have to take taxis or Uber anywhere anyway, and going to the port isn’t close to anything except that immediate area.

so, I figure it is a, go big or go home situation. Stay in LA and avail yourself of the sights and Santa Monica beach, the extra cost and time to get to the port isn’t gonna make a huge difference. 

We have sailed out of L.A about 4 times plus I grew up in Los Angeles. I think I would chose Long Beach first and the Embassy Suites at the airport next. Actually there are 2 Embassy Suites at LAX. As for being near things to do, no matter where you stay you can find tours leaving from the hotel or near by hotels. Long Beach alone has plenty to see. Unless you are accustom to lots of unbelievable traffic do not even consider renting a car and I am not sure I would do Disneyland either, unless you are traveling with kids or have never been to a Disney park and are just dying for the experience. 

DH and I are also on the 4/28 Bliss cruise, we opted for West Hollywood...Farmer's Daughter Hotel by the Grove to be specific.  A block from the HoHo bus stop, Farmer's Market, and it is in a good neighborhood, plus the price was right.  Only downfall was the driving time from LAX (45 minutes) and Cruise ship pier (over 1 hour) but we aren't doing the driving so we don't care.  Ordered a limo to take us to the pier, will sip some champs on the way

Edited by misha1

We just did this a cruise a month ago.  We had 2 nights pre cruise as well.  We stayed at the Wyndham in Santa Monica.  Hotel was excellent.  Loved Santa Monica, lots to do, great places to eat and drink.  Took the Ub's to the port and it was around $40.

We cruised out of San Pedro some years back and we stayed in the Hilton Universal Studios for a few nights prior.  We had the BEST time.... went to Universal every day and in the evening, so much to see and do!  Also got tickets to see the Jay Leno show.  We just hired a towncar to get us to the cruise ship the next day - way cheaper than a cab and much more enjoyable!

We would definitely do this again, so glad we did it!

Leah

Ya, basically I am thinking anywhere in the area bordered by West Hollywood to the east, La Brea to the south, and west to Santa Monica. Also been told to avoid Venice Beach as a place to stay.

the area is pricey but so are LAX and Long Beach hotels and the ride is about $40 anywhere between the far North and south, so I am thinking might as well stay near a few more “attractions”. Even if I don’t fully make use of them, at least I will have the option. 

20 hours ago, www3traveler said:

When I sail on The Bliss for Her return Panama Cruise, I am at The Hilton LAX.  The Hilton is the partnership hotel and comes with the transfer to San Pedro.

good choice. We used to always stay at the Hilton LAX until we decided we liked the perks at the Embassy suites. I do like the idea of the Hilton offering the transportation. Years ago they did not offer that 

We have done both.  If you stay near the port of San Pedro not a whole lot to do.  We walked a few blocks from the hotel to a nice Mexican Restaurant.  

Long Beach is very hip and walkable.  Lots of shops and restaurants.

Another trip we went early, stayed at the Farmer's Daughter Hotel across the street from CBS and went to The Price Is Right.  Had to send away for tickets in advance.  It was fun.

17 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Well I am doing a cruise in Oct 2020 on new Panorama and I will be heading to Disneyland for 3 nites.

They have good packages and I figure I can get use to walking there as well as using pools

good idea if you have time and you will; for anyone with less than the 3 days, it might be a little much. Disneyland is quite a ways from San Pedro.