Edge-izing the Solstice Class Ships...

How very exciting those changes are- new cabins- wouw- no more Card Room - I am soooooo excited - I can´t sit still.

Honestley I don´t like any of those changes upon reading about them- maybe the reality will show us how wonderful those changes are!

You are right Tourist- the might keep the passengers in the same count- but the outcome - in my book - is the same. Less space!

I am about to board Silhouette in less than a weeks time- and looks so forward to it- and will enjoy " the old Silly"! LOL!

42 minutes ago, groryjm said:

Ah but will generate approximately £3 million extra revenue a year 

Well if it's just about the money, they may as well convert it all. Think how much extra revenue they would generate then? That’s possibly phase 2 - Opusisation 🙄.

13 hours ago, pd7277 said:

Deck 6 - The iLounge is being replaced with 4 inside cabins.

I hope it will be positioned elsewhere, I rely on the iLectures on sea days.

We have also bought 2 iPads at greatly reduced prices, due to no VAT (20% in U.K.) and favourable exchange rate (2015).

1 minute ago, upwarduk said:

We have also bought 2 iPads at greatly reduced prices, due to no VAT (20% in U.K.) and favourable exchange rate (2015).

Did I read on one of the Edge reviews that it’s just a couple of monitors somewhere?

We cruise on the post Revolution Equinox in September this year then the pre Revolution Eclipse next year....If we don’t like the changes at least we will have one last go on a traditional S class!!

3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I am quite sure that they will have an iLounge. They put them on the Rev'd Millie and Summit. On the Edge they had an iLounge, ilectures, sold products and most importantly had support people to help guests with the app. My DH (and a few friends) went there a few times and raved about how helpful and patient the people were in there (though often just one guy to handle everyone).  With the app and other new technology onboard, they will need it on all ships, I think. 🙂

3 hours ago, villauk said:

Did I read on one of the Edge reviews that it’s just a couple of monitors somewhere?

This picture shows part of the iLounge. It was an active place when we were onboard since a lot of people were trying to figure out the app. 🙂

image.thumb.png.916c0923d3a4766fbbc29f4ba316cf4d.png

39 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

... they had an iLounge, ilectures, sold products and most importantly had support people to help guests with the app. My DH (and a few friends) went there a few times and raved about how helpful and patient the people were in there (though often just one guy to handle everyone).  With the app and other new technology onboard, they will need it on all ships, I think. 🙂

That' really great that they have good people to help solve all of the IT problems.  It would be even better if Celebrity would improve IT systems so they worked better and people wouldn't need as much help.

• Like 1

Just now, ipeeinthepool said:

That' really great that they have good people to help solve all of the IT problems.  It would be even better if Celebrity would improve IT systems so they worked better and people wouldn't need as much help.

My DH and our friends were there to learn how to use the app, not because of IT problems onboard. I gave up trying to help my DH with the app - thank goodness the IT guy had the patience that I did not have. I installed and learned how to use the app before I left - I loved it and though not always up to date, it got better from Nov to Dec to Jan and I assume it will continue to improve. I missed it greatly on my Infinity cruise last week and missed the amazing Edge WiFi that was available everywhere and never cut out on me. The Infinity will be Rev'd eventually. 🙂

I am trying to figure out why everyone still sticks with the phrase Edge-izing the fleet and trying to bash the Edge some more in the process. We get it you hate the ship.

To me it seemed that Celebrity wanted to refresh its fleet and of course a new build was the first to get the treatment/color palette so they didn't have to revolutionize a brand new ship.

As much as we hated the no front view on the Edge, hopefully fixed on Apex or later, people need to be prepared to lose space to the suites having their own areas regardless of the mass market line you sail. We saw this trend on Disney even, when they added similar areas to their oldest ships taking away spaces from the rest of us. This is what that group of cruisers want right now, an area to get away from the majority of the people on the ship.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Actually the WiFi on Edge was the best I ever experienced on any ship.  The iLounge folks were always there and very helpful.  The ability to connect devices and easy interface was great.  I had no complaints - they got this right on Edge.  Hopefully the other ships will follow.

22 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I agree that the Solstice Class ships are not being Edgesized. They called it the Revolution, unlike when they called it Solcistizing when they redid the M Class with Solstice-like features. The color scheme may be similar to the Edge (much better in person, BTW - I hated it too when looking at the renditions and pictures, but loved the look in person), they will add the Retreat Sundeck (and change name of MC to Retreat Lounge), redo the OVC and maybe do away with library and card room, but I doubt there will be much else the same as the Edge.

The Edge has too many unique features to integrate into the footprint of the S Class and stay within budget. The Edge has 4 MDRs, totally different specialty restaurants, Eden in the aft, no Sky Lounge, a huge lap pool, martini glass hot tubs, Magic Carpet, unique running track, IVs, etc. that make the Edge the Edge. Changing the colors of the S Class, adding a suite sundeck, adding a few suites, updating the Ocean View Cafe and changing Cellar Masters are all updates that likely would have been done whether or not the Edge was built.

I would love to see some of the Edge specialty restaurants (especially Le Grand Bistro and an Eden Cafe-like complimentary dining venue would be great!) on S Class, a more Edge-like OVC and change in color scheme (hate the orange and brown!), but will lament losing part of the Sky Lounge (though love the Reflection), Cellar Masters and library (if that goes). We love the S Class and hope they continue to have the same feel, with some nice updates. 🙂

Edit: Just found this in the early press release so maybe the libraries will stay?

"Even more groundbreaking innovations are on the horizon with THE CELEBRITY REVOLUTION, including:

• Expansion of the new SEA Thermal Suite – first introduced on Celebrity Edge – to offer an ahh inspiring array of therapeutic spa experiences at sea

Exclusive new shopping experiences featuring sought-after brands and designers, such as Shinola, John Hardy, and Hublot, plus state-of-the-art digital photo galleries that make browsing vacation memories a snap

• Elevated bars and lounges, including the newly reimagined Passport Bar and an expansion of Celebrity’s popular Gastrobar concept, serving more than 40 craft beers, creative cocktails, and gourmet comfort food

• More exciting upgrades to public venues all throughout each ship, including The Hideaway, Team Earth, The Library, and more"

Marilyn- The one thing I hope they don't adopt from Edge - putting in very expensive (and empty) shops with no moderate to less expensive shops.  

9 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Marilyn- The one thing I hope they don't adopt from Edge - putting in very expensive (and empty) shops with no moderate to less expensive shops.  

Us too, next to Eden that was our biggest complaint about the Edge. We wanted to buy some small items as gifts for family members and there was nothing. One or two high end shops is fine, but all of them? Even the booze was overpriced which really surprised me.

On 4/5/2019 at 10:08 PM, Cruising Forever! said:

1- Sky Lounge eliminated for more suite space and for a club dedicated space for suite guests only!  (NOOOO!)

2- The warm and inviting colors of S-class cabins replaced with the vapid all gray cabin interiors of Edge!  (for the love of... ugh)

3- The Persian Gardens replaced with - oh, who cares?!  Don't touch the Persian Gardens, Celebrity (shaking my fist- lol)

4- Lawn Club removed and replaced with Rooftop Garden.  Yes, PLEASE!

5- Solarium partitioned into two spaces... one side for suite guests only.  (Hmph!)  Don't touch my Solarium!  LOL

6- Martini Bar frozen top completely removed to match Edge!  (NOOOOOOO!  silly, but this is mostly tongue-in-cheek stuff here)

7- Since Infinite Verandas are "WILDLY POPULAR", all balconies converted to IV format.  (This will never happen)

1. "A Taste of Eden", the spinoff club, will be exclusive to Suite Guests.

2.  Cabins have been altered to compete with Virgin Voyages' dorm room furnishings, but yes gray in color.

3.  Persian Gardens will have a couple attached inside cabins, awkwardly placed, but functional.

4.  The Lawn Club will be replaced by recently redesigned Kelly Hoppen flowriders, including wipeout coral.

5.  Solarium will convert to 100% egg chairs, with occasional rotten egg scents, called "The Smell of Edge".

6.  The Martini bar will be replaced by high pressure sales staff, introducing "Celebrity Vacation Club Ownership".

7.  No IV format.  The new verandas will retract, and move up and down the ship, like mini Magic Carpets.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

2.  Cabins have been altered to compete with Virgin Voyages' dorm room furnishings, but yes gray in color.

3.  Persian Gardens will have a couple attached inside cabins, awkwardly placed, but functional.

4.  The Lawn Club will be replaced by recently redesigned Kelly Hoppen flowriders, including wipeout coral.

5.  Solarium will convert to 100% egg chairs, with occasional rotten egg scents, called "The Smell of Edge".

6.  The Martini bar will be replaced by high pressure sales staff, introducing "Celebrity Vacation Club Ownership".

7.  No IV format.  The new verandas will retract, and move up and down the ship, like mini Magic Carpets.

Yes, and you can reserve one on a space-available basis!  “Hello, I’d like to book the use of a balcony for two hours on Tuesday afternoon, please.  Oh, the only slots left to send me a floating balcony are between 3 and 4 am on the last night?  Well, ok then.” 😁😁

• Haha 1

So I'm still very new to Celebrity, having only cruised on the Equinox last November.  We are going on the Summit this November. 

I actually was drawn to Celebrity by the Edge.  It looked interesting and very different from anything I'd seen and been on.  I actually booked one of the 3 day pre-cruise cruises.  And then I realized how much I was paying for a 3-day and got a week on EQ for the same cost!

We loved Equinox.  And really enjoyed Celebrity.  I would like to take a cruise on Edge, but the costs are prohibitive right now.  Once they equalize, maybe.  But new ships always command more (we paid extra to sail on Harmony of the Seas, too).  Folks want to try the latest and greatest.  If they enjoy the experience and felt like it was worth the money, they'll be repeat customers.  If they don't, then the costs will have to come down.  It's pretty straight forward.

And looking at the photos from people that have been on the updated Summit, I'm excited for that cruise too!

I know everyone's worried that the enhanced suite experience will detract from the general public's experience and I don't think that's the case.  And some folks don't care for the neutral palette, which I find soothing.  As long as they work out the real kinks, like no shower door/curtain, no A/C vent, furniture that isn't as functional as previous, not enough shade, I'm sure all the updates will work out to be wonderful.  But not everything appeals to everyone.  That's why there are so many cruise lines.  And thank goodness for that!

Edited by 2Long2NxtCrz
Typos
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I am quite sure that they will have an iLounge. They put them on the Rev'd Millie and Summit. On the Edge they had an iLounge, ilectures, sold products and most importantly had support people to help guests with the app. My DH (and a few friends) went there a few times and raved about how helpful and patient the people were in there (though often just one guy to handle everyone).  With the app and other new technology onboard, they will need it on all ships, I think. 🙂

The  EDGE I  lounge tech was great.  We use Android  and bought a digital  photo package downloaded to our Tablet...We discovered we could not open it ( dh usually fairly good at this stuff) , the photo rep could not open it either,  but the Apple It rep spent almost an hr ( non busy time) resolving it.. He saw it as a challenge to resolve with rmthe abdroid .Once he had the key to the glitch..voila!  So grateful! 

Tip of the Day....Make sure you can open what you buy.. before you leave the ship!

The digital photo set ups were great, good photo team and we were very happy with our pics, photo folders...good discounts!

If M and S Class get the digital photography and  good I lounge that EDGE has.... that will be a big plus for those ships!

Edited by hcat

On 4/6/2019 at 10:57 AM, Tourist1292 said:

Nothing drastic would happen on Solstice, at least in the near future.

Ship: Celebrity Solstice

Dates: September 2021

Details: Celebrity Solstice will receive additional suites including a Reflection Suite and several Signature Suites; all cabins will be outfitted with RFID locks, the line's high-speed Xcelerate Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capability. Additionally, Michael's Club will be transformed into the Retreat Lounge, exclusively for the use of suite passengers; and a suites-only Retreat Sundeck will be added, as well. The ship's Oceanview Cafe buffet restaurant will be redesigned in an open, marketplace style; Cellar Masters wine bar will be transformed into a gastrobar; and the photo galleries will be converted to digital spaces.

I am still trying to figure out what "Oceanview will be redesigned in an open, marketplace style".  Is that not what it is today?  

On 4/6/2019 at 5:52 AM, lisiamc said:

I’ve read that the library, the card room, and the open space above the library on 11 will become 6 new cabins.  Since they’ve left the Martini Bar on the M-class ships pretty much alone except for new carpet, I hope they’ll do the same for S-class.

On Equiniox it looks like the Library is staying put, but the Card Room will become 4 somewhat odd shaped interior cabins. 

BEFORE

image.png.50b394809df29c113eb4aac4c8a78a9a.png

AFTER

image.png.c3401911916210a1b4cb72eaac18c3ec.png

BEFORE

image.png.4a69a2d0559847ca50774ae936be5352.png

AFTER

image.png.dc6074975e15e5d415a62c86ea00e154.png

23 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Pretty good.  I do wish we could replace Edge-izing or Edgification as terms for the Revolution updates.  It gives the impression of installing IV balconies and Magic Carpets.  It is much more cosmetic changes and suite area changes.    It is more like Hoppenization or What's Hoppening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure where the iLounge will be on Equinox post-Revolution.  They are putting more of those odd shaped interior cabins on 6, but i cannot find a new location on the new deck plans. 

BEFORE

image.png.c0a5c2f45aa5d46fcfb615b0dd6774f7.png

AFTER

image.png.cca2b5bbbc1eda55c4a7ed6ac4c9be3b.png

Edited by CardRock

18 hours ago, CardRock said:

On Equiniox it looks like the Library is staying put, but the Card Room will become 4 somewhat odd shaped interior cabins. 

BEFORE

image.png.50b394809df29c113eb4aac4c8a78a9a.png

AFTER

image.png.c3401911916210a1b4cb72eaac18c3ec.png

BEFORE

image.png.4a69a2d0559847ca50774ae936be5352.png

AFTER

image.png.dc6074975e15e5d415a62c86ea00e154.png

Really stuffing those in!

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Pretty good.  I do wish we could replace Edge-izing or Edgification as terms for the Revolution updates.  It gives the impression of installing IV balconies and Magic Carpets.  It is much more cosmetic changes and suite area changes.    It is more like Hoppenization or What's Hoppening.

Love "What's Hoppening"

Could  be a thread  title for noting all of the Hoppen mis- steps  on the X ships!