Embarkation wine limit

davidmaveng

I’ve read the celebrity website “Before you Board” and it states you can bring onboard at embarkation 2 bottles of wine to consume in your stateroom, it does not state size, why can’t you bring the 11/2 Liter bottles instead of the 750 m. Anyone else questioning the size, or is it just understood.

47 minutes ago, davidmaveng said:

I’ve read the celebrity website “Before you Board” and it states you can bring onboard at embarkation 2 bottles of wine to consume in your stateroom, it does not state size, why can’t you bring the 11/2 Liter bottles instead of the 750 m. Anyone else questioning the size, or is it just understood.

Celebrity's written policy. 

I wish they would go to Princess’s policy; two bottles free but you can’t drink them in the DR without paying a $15 corkage fee.  However many more bottles you want to bring along are charged the corkage fee on embarkation, and you can bring them to the DR at no additional charge. (They put stickers on the ones you prepaid)

3 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

I wish they would go to Princess’s policy; two bottles free but you can’t drink them in the DR without paying a $15 corkage fee.  However many more bottles you want to bring along are charged the corkage fee on embarkation, and you can bring them to the DR at no additional charge. (They put stickers on the ones you prepaid)

With the beverage package we no longer bring wine with us.  On many cruises they sell bottles of wine in the Oceanview Cafe for $20 or 2 for $35 which you can enjoy in your cabin or at the OV.

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

With the beverage package we no longer bring wine with us.  On many cruises they sell bottles of wine in the Oceanview Cafe for $20 or 2 for $35 which you can enjoy in your cabin or at the OV.

Oh, Joan … you're such a lush!!!  LOL  (how the heck ARE you??!!??)

Doing great‼️  And you and your handsome husband?  

Just got off the Eclipse last week (our 1st RS- thought about the time we were docked next to each other in Barcelona & you called us from your RS😂)

We may be making a quick stop in Broomfield in July.  If we do we will let you know.

what travels do you have planned?  

Edited by jelayne

On a recent b2b, we tried our luck by bringing two bottles each.  We figured that if it was questioned, they would probably put two bottles aside for the second leg of the cruise, or at worst, confiscate and keep two bottles.  They never batted an eye.  Enforcement depends a lot on the embarkation port, the people doing the screening, the age of the passengers (we’re over 60) and the mood of the day.  We also topped up regularly in ports with no comment.  

No, it will not count as only one bottle per their rules.  If you try to bring two that size, they have the right to refuse to allow two on board with you.  They draw the line at 750 ml.  Otherwise, people would bring two Jeraboam-size bottles, or wine boxes.  In reality, they might well let it pass if you are a bit older than a spring-breaker, it’s not spring break season and you’re not leaving from Florida.  Does that help at all? 😊

Edited by lisiamc

8 hours ago, jelayne said:

Doing great‼️  And you and your handsome husband?  

Just got off the Eclipse last week (our 1st RS- thought about the time we were docked next to each other in Barcelona & you called us from your RS😂)

We may be making a quick stop in Broomfield in July.  If we do we will let you know.

what travels do you have planned?  

We're both doing well.  Congrats on the RS - they don't suck, do they!!  😉  Doing the 14 night Alaska itinerary on HAL in late July but other than that we should be around.  Definitely let us know if you're coming.  Then nothing until a 33 night repo from Honolulu to Auckland in October/November, also HAL.

17 minutes ago, davidmaveng said:

My question still remains, as it is not stated size, does 1 1/2 liter count as 1 bottle or 2, has anyone encountered his question.

Until Celebrity redesigned their website it always said 2- 750 ml bottles, Royals still says 2-750ml bottles. 

11 hours ago, Mark_K said:

Celebrity doesn't charge you to bring two 750 ml bottles of wine onboard. If you bring the bottles of wine in the dining venues you brought onbaord  you can be charged a corkage fee like princess. 

Edited by davekathy

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Celebrity doesn't charge you to bring two 750 ml bottles of wine onboard. If you bring the bottles of wine in the dining venues you brought onbaord  you will be charged a corkage fee like princess. 

The main point was the second part, unlike Celebrity, Princess allows you to bring additional bottles by paying $15 each.  We took six on our last cruise, the two free ones we had in the room, the ones with pre-paid corkage fee, we took to dinner.

40 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

The main point was the second part, unlike Celebrity, Princess allows you to bring additional bottles by paying $15 each.  We took six on our last cruise, the two free ones we had in the room, the ones with pre-paid corkage fee, we took to dinner.

Just posting for clarification as your post was incorrect. At least the part I highlighted. Princess only allows one 750 ml bottle of wine per person. Celebrity allows two 750 ml bottles of wine per cabin. So a solo cruiser on Celebrity can bring onboard two 750 ml bottles of wine. We no longer bring wine onboard as we always get the BP as one of our perks. Also the nightly Happy Hour Captains Club drinks. 

Edited by davekathy

12 hours ago, jelayne said:

or in the MDR, as long as you only bring a glass of wine with you, not the bottle.

Additionally, if you are captain's club elite or above and have the (gratis) 5-7pm drinks, you can take a glass of wine with you to dinner in the MDR. 

Edited by ghstudio

3 hours ago, oneputt18 said:

Until Celebrity redesigned their website it always said 2- 750 ml bottles, Royals still says 2-750ml bottles. 

3 hours ago, davidmaveng said:

My question still remains, as it is not stated size, does 1 1/2 liter count as 1 bottle or 2, has anyone encountered his question.

Hmmmm, I see what you are asking. I answered this question for someone on a different platform yesterday saying 750 ml because that’s what Celebrity’s written policy has always said.  I just checked and oneputt18 is correct. The size is no longer specified. Interesting.... It most likely was inadvertantly omitted during the web site redesign.

36 minutes ago, SeasideMemories said:

Hmmmm, I see what you are asking. I answered this question for someone on a different platform yesterday saying 750 ml because that’s what Celebrity’s written policy has always said.  I just checked and oneputt18 is correct. The size is no longer specified. Interesting.... It most likely was inadvertantly omitted during the web site redesign.

That is what I read and why I asked the question, I am following the rules and bringing 2 bottles, although a little large, but on transatlantic it will help.

No one on board cares about what the web site says. 

Be reasonable......better that each of  you carry 2 750 bottles on board (and don't board together) than try to get one 1.5l bottle through security.  Carrying 2 1.5L bottles will just immediately raise questions.....and no one is going to go to the web site and look up what they mis-stated today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

No one on board cares about what the web site says. 

Be reasonable......better that each of  you carry 2 750 bottles on board (and don't board together) than try to get one 1.5l bottle through security.  Carrying 2 1.5L bottles will just immediately raise questions.....and no one is going to go to the web site and look up what they mis-stated today.

And circumventing the rules by bringing two each is reasonable?

23 minutes ago, kenevenpar said:

And circumventing the rules by bringing two each is reasonable?

We always have a drinks package, so the wine we bring on board is “balcony wine”.  Since I’m not cheating them out of revenue or planning to drink them all at once and sue Celebrity because I got drunk and did something really stupid, then yes, it seems perfectly reasonable to me.  We don’t hide the bottles we bring on board.  I’m willing to take the risk of losing a bottle or two of wine if they have a sudden urge to enforce the rule.

Over the years, the rules have changed on Celebrity and other cruise lines under the Royal Caribbean umbrella.  Long ago, we could bring on more than two bottles of wine on Celebrity, but sometimes the corkage rule was enforced.  I seem to remember that for a while after the family of a young man who drank way too much sued RCI, there was no wine allowed to be brought on at all on any RCI lines.  Then they allowed two bottles.  Now that seems to be very sporadically enforced on Celebrity, since practically everyone gets a drinks package, but still pretty strict on Royal Caribbean.  And once Azamara went to inclusive drinks, they stopped having a limit on wine brought on board.

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 1