Neptune and 4 star perks for minors traveling with you in an inside cabin

kangforpres

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Have a fun cruise Paul! I'm sure you and your TA will get it all worked out! We were on the K'dam in a NS corner aft-facing cabin going through the Norwegian fjords and you just can't beat that location!

We are 63 days from being on the K'dam in a NS corner aft-facing cabin in the Med!  Looking forward to it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kangforpres said:

I did look at the HAL rules for guests under 21 as Copper 10-8. suggested. Since they are 13 they fall into the 13-17 year old category where they do not have to be constantly accompanied by adult when on the ship:

Teens’ Program (ages 13 – 17): There are no registration or sign in/out procedures for teen programming, additionally children under 16 may go ashore alone if arrangements are made in advance with the Ship's Chief Security Officer.

If I may, what you're quoting above is from the Club HAL youth program, and has to do with minors, those under age 18, having to be (or not to be, that's always been the question) checked out of Club HAL, age-wise, by their parent or guardian.

The second part you quote above deals with juveniles of a certain age being allowed to leave the ship via the gangway in ports of call by themselves, so without a parent and/or legal guardian. It is SOP that all minors are flagged on ship's security laptop computers (Fidelio/gangway control system - an audible alarm will go off when their cards are scanned) at the gangway when they want to exit without being in the presence of that parent/guardian.

The issue with two 13-year old's sharing a cabin without an adult present has to do, among other things, with them knowing their responsibilities when ship's alarms go off inn an emergency situation, i.e. "what does that alarm mean," "what do I do,"  "where do I go, etc." Your answer might be "Well, I'm across the corridor in my own cabin when that were to happen" however, there could very well be a time when they are in "their" cabin by themselves, and you are elsewhere on the ship. The other issue in this case has to do with the supervision of those girls since they are five years removed from being an adult. Remember, Housekeeping will be in their cabin twice daily and will notice real quick-like if they are dealing with two 13-yr old's alone in a stateroom

I really suggest you contact HAL and speak to them about your plans with the minors, prior to boarding

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I understand that the girls don't eat much and won't have mimosas, but the rule is Pinnacle breakfast is for occupants of NS only. I don't think I've ever seen a post saying "we could bring our friends/family members," but I have seen posts saying that "extra" people were not allowed to accompany NS passengers to the Pinnacle breakfast. They do check. You might have better luck with the lounge, but I wouldn't expect to be able to bring the girls to the Pinnacle for breakfast.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I understand that the girls don't eat much and won't have mimosas, but the rule is Pinnacle breakfast is for occupants of NS only. I don't think I've ever seen a post saying "we could bring our friends/family members," but I have seen posts saying that "extra" people were not allowed to accompany NS passengers to the Pinnacle breakfast. They do check. You might have better luck with the lounge, but I wouldn't expect to be able to bring the girls to the Pinnacle for breakfast.

The first few days I've been asked my suite #, the host checks the computer, then greets me by name.  They name who/how many passengers are in each cabin, so I don't see how you could "sneak" extra people in.

Roz

I also suggest you contact HAL directly regarding the two girls in their own room. Last year I made a booking for two staterooms for my family. Hubby and I in one room kids in the other. My reservation was flagged in Seattle and we had to call and clarify a few things. My daughter was set to turn 21 on the cruise and my son was 16. They had to escalate this to the higher ups for approval since no one in the room was 21on the day of sailing. Maybe they’ve changed their policy in the last year but I’d call just to be safe. If you try and do the booking on your own thru the HAL system it will not let you book with two 13 year olds. I’d also ask your TA what info she submitted to make it work. Sounds shady. 

And to to answer the original question, only those in Neptune get Neptune perks. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kangforpres said:

My very experienced and long time HAL affiliated Travel Agent in San Francisco, CA helped me extensively with this booking since she is a very hands-on type agent and her agency specializes in Cruise Planning and has been in business since 1955. And I have never had to arrange a cruise for more than 1 cabin and 2 people in that 1 cabin. I'm not bragging but I think she knows her stuff. 

My question is I just want everyone in my party to know that if allowed you can stop in the Neptune Lounge and get a fancy snack, drink or even use the espresso machine instead of having to go up to the Lido. 

As for Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill I'm a breakfast person, my brother probably would also enjoy it but the 13 year old nieces eat like little birds and probably would not care. Since it's the exact same breakfast as offered in the Dinning Room what would HAL really care if we had a table for 4 instead of a table for 2? The 13 year old nieces are not going to drink bottomless Mimosa's.

It's great that you have confidence with your TA.  There would be no harm though in contacting your TA and telling her that you have read that their may be a problem with the nieces, as they are just 13 years old, being in a cabin without an adult and ask your TA for written confirmation from HAL.

As for snacks from the NL, you can simply go to the lounge yourself and pick up a few things and take them back to your cabin.  You can also avail of room service and ask the NL Concierges for a list of appetizers that you can order and have them ordered and delivered to your cabin for your guests/nieces.  This is permitted as it is no different than entertaining other passengers in your suite.

Another option for breakfast is to order breakfast via room service for everyone and have it on the Neptune balcony.  The balcony is large enough for 4 and everyone can enjoy the wonderful breakfast and beautiful scenery.  Again, this is kosher as it is you simply entertaining other passengers in your cabin.

• Like 1

Definitely need to get this cleared up before you arrive at the ship.  Some cruise lines do allow kids to be in "adjacent" cabins and will allow them to be in their own room across the hall, so maybe your TA is just confused about HAL's rules.  You can rant and rave about your TA giving you the ok, but the people at the pier are not going to care what a TA told you.  They're going to be able to point to the cruise contract that says there must be someone 16 or older in the cabin and 13 is not 16.  If they deny boarding, then what will you do?  Or what if they make you add your brother to the other room and end up shutting him out of the suite perks?  Either is a possibility.  Throwing around your status isn't likely to make you any friends.

The Neptune Lounge's snacks are not that fancy.  It's generally the stuff you find in the Lido or at the afternoon tea, so you're not really missing out on anything special by taking them there.  The Pinnacle Grill for breakfast is a different beast altogether.  As a regular suite guest, you aren't allowed to bring guests traveling with you, so I'm not sure why you would expect special treatment just because you've sailed with HAL before.  I would expect that you *might* be allowed to bring them into the Neptune Lounge with you, but you will probably not be able to bring them to breakfast.  This is all pretty clear-cut based on people's reported experiences combined with HAL's published rules.  If they allow an exception, great!  You should plan on there not being an exception, and then be pleasantly surprised if there is.

• Like 2

Man or Man what you got a love about CC is everyone is A: An Expert, B: A Busybody,  and  So.....Judgmental.

Don't worry y'all it will be all taken care of, and Copper 10-8, I wasn't intending on letting my nieces off the ship without me or my brother, but I did read about the options in the HAL rules.

My nieces are very mature for their age, more mature than my brother in many ways, so I'm not at all concerned about them getting into any trouble on the ship and I'm sure all of us when in a cabin will make extensive use of the SB suite  and people will only be in the inside cabin when they are sleeping.  It is an early August run so there should be other kids their age to make friends with.

For the record are cabin #'s are 6158 and 6166 so why don't you pull up the Oosterdam deck plans and see if they are "adjacent" enough for your further judgement.

I guess what the say about most HAL cruisers is true, they are old fuddy duddies who hate kids and think they know what's best for everyone else.

Happy Earthday, 

Paul

• Like 3

Name calling of people who are trying to help you is shameful. 

I’ve been in this situation. Was specifically told I could have been denied boarding if I hadn’t care of it. And would have been out thousands of dollars. 

Take the advice and call and if you’re right then you can come back and say “neener, neener”. Until then, better safe than sorry. 

• Like 4

Hrmm.  My comment about "adjacent" cabins was about your TA being confused because different cruise lines have different policies.  Not sure why that is considered so offensive.  "Adjacent" can mean across the hall or nearby on Celebrity; others mean physically side-by-side and/or connecting via an inner door.  HAL doesn't seem to define it specifically, but the fact that they take pains to spell out the minimum age requirements when doing exactly what you're trying to do tells us how they treat the situation.  Weren't you the one coming here to ask if what you want to do can be done?  And people who have experience with what you're asking about are giving you answers?  People are "old fuddy duddies" because we're not telling you what you want to hear?  By all means, then, rely solely on your TA for advice.  It has the makings of a memorable trip for your brother and his children.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

Don't worry y'all it will be all taken care of, and Copper 10-8, I wasn't intending on letting my nieces off the ship without me or my brother, but I did read about the options in the HAL rules.

And I didn't say you were intending to do that. You're the one who quoted those two rules however, they have nada to do with two 13-yr old's being able to stay in the same cabin but instead refer to the Club HAL program rules......... All the best to you, your brother and the two girls! Hope it works out for ya

• Like 2

We traveled with our 3 grandchildren in 2 cabins, but one adult had to be booked into each cabin. Thus grandpa with 1 and grandma with 2.  The oldest child was 15.  We were in adjacent cabins, not adjoining cabins.  It would have been nicer for us to have had the children together and us together as they would be in our home,  but we recognized the safety and oversight benefit of having an adult in each room and gladly complied as it was for the children's safety and protection in a non-home environment.    

Another issue with taking minors into Canada (which you will be doing on an Alaska cruise) is that when children are traveling with only one parent (in your case, your brother) Canada may ask to see a Letter of Authorization signed (and notarized) by the absent parent giving consent for the traveling parent to take the child(ren) into Canada. If the other parent is deceased, bring the death certificate.  The form will be quite simple for your brother to obtain from any of several websites.  The border authorities were efficient with us as we had our paperwork in order, but they did question the children directly; they do not hesitate to enforce this, as many custody disputes have become international abductions or trafficking issues, so they do not tolerate negligence of this issue.  It is your brother's responsibility but I mention it to you because you are footing the bill! and your brother is not the one asking the questions.  

Whether your nieces can get a snack or soda at the NL, or where they eat breakfast, or if they can get free laundry seem to be are the least of your potential problems.  You may harumph at us on CC for bringing these issues to your attention from our experiences; lashing out at us to call us busybodies and judgmental does us no harm, but you will not be able to harumph at those in authority if they deny your party's boarding.  Please learn for yourself, as you have much invested in this event, and aid your brother in understanding all the factors that are involved, and do not relegate the responsibility to your TA.  Please believe that we are not wanting to offend you, all of us here sincerely hope that you have all your plans and papers aligned so that you and your family can fully enjoy this most generous gift you are giving your family.  m--  

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 12

4 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Whether your nieces can get a snack or soda at the NL, or where they eat breakfast, or if they can get free laundry seem to be are the least of your potential problems.  You may harumph at us on CC for bringing these issues to your attention from our experiences; lashing out at us to call us busybodies and judgmental does us no harm, but you will not be able to harumph at those in authority if they deny your party's boarding.  Please learn for yourself, as you have much invested in this event, and aid your brother in understanding all the factors that are involved, and do not relegate the responsibility to your TA.  Please believe that we are not wanting to offend you, all of us here sincerely hope that you have all your plans and papers aligned so that you and your family can fully enjoy this most generous gift you are giving your family.  m--  

This right here is what is so great about this forum.  Whether the OP can appreciate it or not, the rest of us do, and this post sums up the way I'm sure most of us feel, so I thank you. 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, kangforpres said:

Well, this has certainly hit a spark with some CC'ers. So let me provide more details:

My 13 year old nieces are indeed the only passengers listed on the booking for the Category L, inside stateroom. They now have their own Mariner #'s too. My Brother and I are the passengers listed in the SB cabin, both cabins have different HAL Booking #'s.

My question is I just want everyone in my party to know that if allowed you can stop in the Neptune Lounge and get a fancy snack, drink or even use the espresso machine instead of having to go up to the Lido. 

As for Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill I'm a breakfast person, my brother probably would also enjoy it but the 13 year old nieces eat like little birds and probably would not care. Since it's the exact same breakfast as offered in the Dinning Room what would HAL really care if we had a table for 4 instead of a table for 2? The 13 year old nieces are not going to drink bottomless Mimosa's.

OK, I'm not trying to pull one over and get by something on HAL,  a company and brand  I really like and recommend to almost anyone I talk to who asks me why I like cruising so much with them.  Not to mention that most likely  me and  my wife an have spent well over $100K as customers with the company achieving 4 star Mariner status just after 12 cruises. Not just on-board spending but at least three 15 day cruises in a suite to rack up Mariner points.

Of course you are correct in that it would cost HAL virtually nothing more to serve two extra people in the Pinnacle and Neptune.  Also, some people have reported that the Neptune Staff have allowed kids to come in sometimes (once again, this varies by ship).

However, the issue is how does HAL control the situation once you make exceptions.  Someone else will see you doing it and they will want to do the same, but this time with older children or adults.  Then someone else will want to bring in 3 people instead of two (you get my point).  I have seen this in many other situations and thus understand why HAL really does need to enforce the rules.  HAL employees are SO customer focused that it is hard for them to say "no" to the passengers, which makes it hard on them IMO (besides, most of them depend on extra tips, so it is very hard for them to say "no"). 

The best thing HAL can do is not to place their employees in the situation where they have to make exceptions to the various rules of the ship, so please understand this and do not put them in the position to have to do so.  With over 2000 passengers in a fairly confined area for 7 days (or longer), having organized  procedures and rules is a must for everyone's benefit.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kangforpres said:

Man or Man what you got a love about CC is everyone is A: An Expert, B: A Busybody,  and  So.....Judgmental.

Which one would you say you are?  

Personally I think you should play the “Do you know who I am?” card.  That always goes over well.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Wow, we're trying to explain the rules are and what some of us have experienced, and we're being accused of hating kids????? I've seen kid-bashing posts on CC, and what I'm reading here does not come close.

OP, I'm sorry you don't like the advice/information you've been given here, but it's how things are. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

The solution for all of this would have been to book 2 Neptune Suites.😜

Roz

Yes,  or have all 4 in one cabin.  We’ve done it twice and managed.   Sounds like the OP would rather complain now about what people have suggested.  Much better to be prepared than show up at check in and be denied.  Oh well.  We’ve all tried.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

Yes,  or have all 4 in one cabin.  We’ve done it twice and managed.   Sounds like the OP would rather complain now about what people have suggested.  Much better to be prepared than show up at check in and be denied.  Oh well.  We’ve all tried.  

I thought of that, too, but corner afts hold only 3 passengers. Of course, there are SAs that do hold 4.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I thought of that, too, but corner afts hold only 3 passengers. Of course, there are SAs that do hold 4.

Oh. Never been in a corner aft Neptune as hubby needs mid ship so always book SA’s.  Guess OP will figure it all out.  

4 hours ago, Moriah said:

This right here is what is so great about this forum.  Whether the OP can appreciate it or not, the rest of us do, and this post sums up the way I'm sure most of us feel, so I thank you. 

Thank you for the affirmation! 😍.   

Some people are hard to help, and we can only help as much as people want to be helped!   I do hope there is time to divert a potential disaster, and the rest of it will shake out once they get on the ship.  m--

• Like 2