Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

3 hours ago, Cruise for vacation said:

Well why do you care so much about the ship, if you have no plans to go on it.  One less opinion that doesn’t matter

I am very disappointed about the new ship and try to see if maybe something will come up that will change my opinion - but so far not....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

I am very disappointed about the new ship and try to see if maybe something will come up that will change my opinion - but so far not....

What's disappointing? 

DW and I are seeing this as an adventure with the new neighborhoods and potential new venues.  I would agree that large ships can be intimidating and still crowded in prime seasons and the itinerary isn't  any different than current itineraries on the Wonder, but we're looking forward to exploring.

• Like 6

A lot of all the negative comments sound exactly like the comments when Oasis was first being built and how many were saying they would never sail her and would bankrupt the company.  Funny how that has changed since she actually started sailing and people actually got to sail on her as opposed to looking at deck plans and pictures.

• Like 9

On 5/12/2023 at 7:27 PM, sowhat said:

Just watching   television  on Explorer,  at least 4 channels are about Icon of the Seas 
Seams  looking at Royal Caribbean  production  videos only  slim young  people  with young  children are allowed on Icon
That counts me out, I don't  fit into that category  on all counts 😏

Just watched  an other episode  of Icon of the Seas
Looking at the video,  only approximately  6 people  in a pool at a time,
More seating and sun beds than people .
No lines or queues,  no waiting for any of the activities
No scooters allowed
Beautiful young  people  only
Only  30 people per neighborhood
Looks good in the video, let's  find out in real  life

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, sowhat said:

Just watched  an other episode  of Icon of the Seas
Looking at the video,  only approximately  6 people  in a pool at a time,
More seating and sun beds than people .
No lines or queues,  no waiting for any of the activities
No scooters allowed
Beautiful young  people  only
Only  30 people per neighborhood
Looks good in the video, let's  find out in real  life

I don't think I've ever seen any artist renditions of any new venue, sea or land , that shows crowds, or tons of people at a particular spot.  Outside of retirement villages, you don't see a lot of people over 50.

Doesn't dissuade from going just because of some artist rendition.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

I don't think I've ever seen any artist renditions of any new venue, sea or land , that shows crowds, or tons of people at a particular spot.  Outside of retirement villages, you don't see a lot of people over 50.

Doesn't dissuade from going just because of some artist rendition.

I  realise  that, but they should show  the ship correctly what it is in real life and not show it with reduced  capacity to make it look more attractive.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, sowhat said:

I  realise  that, but they should show  the ship correctly what it is in real life and not show it with reduced  capacity to make it look more attractive.

Like the pictures in a fast food restaurant? 

"Let's use a picture of an actual McD's burger" said no marketing department ever.

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Like the pictures in a fast food restaurant? 

"Let's use a picture of an actual McD's burger" said no marketing department ever.

My favorite is pictures on the outside the box for those cheap above ground pools.

intex-prism-pool2.jpg.webp.10f484bb771e007884694a042843b97e.webp

The pools look massive

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, sowhat said:

How do they know what real life is if the ship has never sailed?

6 hours ago, cruise1957 said:

How do they know what real life is if the ship has never sailed?

I do not, but if you look at Oasis  class rendering  of the windjammer  and see it a real  life!!!

We are currently booked on the Icon for next March.  My DH and I really enjoy the suite life and booked a family suite for only the two of us - iThese suites are located in  surfside family area, we are on deck 11.  I am having second thoughts about the location.  I hope not very noisy .  We rise early and go to bed typically by 11 PM.  The surfside suites were the most cost effective of all of the true suites.  Any comments or thoughts?

Edited by Cruise a holic

31 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You probably won't know until you sail - there might some feedback from the few sailings ahead of yours.

Thanks- but probably too late!  Guess we are committed!  I just know that if I were in a boardwalk room (Oasis class) near a merry go round- I might be very unhappy!!!  A gamble for us.

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Any comments or thoughts?

We had a Boardwalk cabin at the very back of the ship right on the Aqua Theater next to the rock climbing wall on Allure.  We did hear a muffled noise during heavy traffic periods such as the Aqua Show and some of them lasted until around 11pm.  But not enough to really bother us. I think you'll like it.  Never heard the merry-go-round. 

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sowhat said:

real  life!!

"real life" changes daily on every ship...from ship to ship.  I see nothing wrong with renderings, everybody knows they are just renderings.  You might see 20 people back there some days unless the Aqua Show is playing, then you might see 300.  What difference does any of that make?  They are trying to show you the ship, not little mannequins of people.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

We had a Boardwalk cabin at the very back of the ship right on the Aqua Theater next to the rock climbing wall on Allure.  We did hear a muffled noise during heavy traffic periods such as the Aqua Show and some of them lasted until around 11pm.  But not enough to really bother us. I think you'll like it.  Never heard the merry-go-round. 

That’s why if we weren’t in a suite or balcony cabin we stayed in Central Park 

1 minute ago, Cruise a holic said:

That’s why if we weren’t in a suite or balcony cabin we stayed in Central Park 

You can hear the ensembles playing in Central Park about the same, just not herds of peeps.  I loved the Central Park experience.  But then I am perfectly happy anywhere on that class.

• Like 1

This may be the silliest conversation ever: Do you really expect Royal, or any other company for that matter, to portray their advertising in anything but the best light?  Never saw a lung machine on a Marlboro ad!

It's ok to manage your expectations, but let others enjoy the ride!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, steamboats said:

Handover is planned for October 26th according to an article by Christoph Assies. After the handover they will move in the plants and trees into the Central Park.

steamboats

From the same article you referenced by Christoph Assies

Quote (translated)

“It took six years to develop the different cabins on board
According to Raimund Gschaider, Vice President Hotel Operations at Royal Caribbean, efficient passenger routing was above all design options. Two gangways were deliberately provided for boarding in the main ports of Miami and Port Canaveral, which can be used to board up to 2,500 guests per hour. The lifts from a Finnish manufacturer are intended to steer people by driving them directly to the decks with the restaurants and bars at peak times without making any stops. "The guest then has to get used to the routes of the lifts a bit," explains Gschaider”

Does the section I put in bold suggest something for PC and if not for Icon perhaps next in the series?

There is lots of interesting info in that article including this -

Quote (translated)

“Infinity pool and swim-up bar on the world's largest cruise ship
Part of the total of eight "neighborhoods" are also a total of seven pools, as in "Chill Island". There are four swimming and paddling opportunities here alone. Among them is "Swim & Tonic", the first so-called swim-up bar of the shipping company. The guests sit there on bar stools standing in the water.
At the stern is "The Hideaway". A beach club feeling with a sea view should arise here. The central element is the first "floating" infinity pool at sea. The comparatively large number of pools, some in places where they had not previously been installed on other cruise ships, presented the makers of the Icon of the Seas with further challenges. “When the ship moves, the water moves too and we had to build barriers accordingly. We then combined the technical necessity with an attractive design so that the passenger does not even notice the technical aspect,” explains Iina Jokinen. The result is “islands” in the pool landscapes or benches within the pools for the passengers, who simultaneously control the water movements.”