Woken up by ongoing announcements

Ahainsby

On our day of debarkation from the Celebrity Silhouette we were woken up by announcements coming through the speaker in our cabin. We were due to disembark at 07:35 under luggage number 25 but the announcements for luggage numbers starting at no.1 commenced at 06:00 and repeated continuously every few minutes until they reached our number and beyond. Our number (the only one we needed to hear) was called at 07:35 so for the whole 95 mins we could have been resting we were bombarded with announcements not meant for us and at an ever increasing volume. This was a very annoying and stressful end to our lovely holiday. It was so unnecessary as all the details are on the leaflet left in your room the night before so you know the arrangements already - you don't need to be reminded about 60 times or more in your cabin.  At least with Cunard you can turn the announcements off by the TV and again you know all the arrangements the night before anyway so why can this not be the case with other cruise lines? NCL was even worse as we had announcements each day we docked at a new location at 05:30 and in several different languages too. Cannot remember if Royal Caribbean do it too. Announcements need only be necessary if there are stragglers and not as a matter of course. Cruising is so very civilised and then at the end we are treated like a herd of animals  Anyone had similar experiences? 

Edited by Ahainsby
Additional details

A dozen cruises on Celebrity and never had this happen. Only heard announcements after the time we were instructed to vacate the staterooms and then we were in our designated disembarkation location.

We've been on quite a few Celebrity ships, including the Silhouette and have never been disturbed by disembarkation announcements. We always try to leave as late as we can and there were times where I needed to open the cabin door so I could hear what number they were on from the hallway speakers. 

• Like 3

there was one morning on Eclipse where tender boat ticket announcements started to come into the stateroom and you suddenly heard voices in the background and the announcement went dead -- the person making the announcement had no idea that it was going into the staterooms but as soon as the complaining phone calls came into Guest Relations, it abruptly stopped.  Did you think to call Guest Relations that morning?

I wish I had complained now but being that this was only my third cruise and it has happened before I just assumed that it was the norm. Now that I know it is unusual I will certainly call up reception next time and complain. However if others had complained surely the announcements would have then stopped? We couldn't have been the only ones?  It would be good to hear from fellow passengers on the same cruise too to see if they all received the same. We were in Aqua Class not that this should make any difference. 

Edited by Ahainsby
Additions

25 minutes ago, Ahainsby said:

I wish I had complained now but being that this was only my third cruise and it has happened before I just assumed that it was the norm. Now that I know it is unusual I will certainly call up reception next time and complain. However if others had complained surely the announcements would have then stopped? We couldn't have been the only ones?  It would be good to hear from fellow passengers on the same cruise too to see if they all received the same. We were in Aqua Class not that this should make any difference. 

If you were on the mini break cruise to Amsterdam then yes this happened to us too. We always switch off general announcements but it seems there must be a general override for this which is understandable but I’ve not experienced this either & cruised in double figures now. 

It seemed Celebrity were desperate to get us off ASAP & this was not a great experience to me either!

2 hours ago, kikki21 said:

If you were on the mini break cruise to Amsterdam then yes this happened to us too. We always switch off general announcements but it seems there must be a general override

How do you switch off announcements?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Sounds like someone hit the wrong switch -- this is not their standard procedure.

Interesting that nobody caught the 'mistake'. 

I have never heard in-room debarkation announcements.... in fact, I rarely have ever heard any type of announcement in room.

when we disembarked solstice last year we found out 2 days earlier what our disembarking time was, as it was on the info the room steward left for us - no announcements weren't made on the ships PA or anything

They did make announcements with the tender boats though - not sure if they were broadcast into cabins as we were in the OVC or another part of the ship when they made the calls

4 hours ago, Ahainsby said:

Not even for disembarkation? Not out of the speaker in the ceiling? 

No, not even on disembarkation. I'm sorry your peace and quiet was disturbed.

It would make sense that they can make announcements in the cabins in case of emergency, but we've never had any announcement that we could hear in our cabin.

Edited by Marelaine

As Kikki stated above, if you were on the Silhouette mini cruise from Southampton, there were comments on her thread about disembarkation morning, together with other points. The whole cruise was a little unusual compared to the normal X cruise. I presume it was because it was a mini break - not something I’d rush to repeat (our usual cruise is 10+ days).

Edited by villauk

26 minutes ago, villauk said:

As Kikki stated above, if you were on the Silhouette mini cruise from Southampton, there were comments on her thread about disembarkation morning, together with other points. The whole cruise was a little unusual compared to the normal X cruise. I presume it was because it was a mini break - not something I’d rush to repeat (our usual cruise is 10+ days).

Yes it was the same for us. I wouldn't bother with another mini cruise after this although it had it's good points I would say the whole atmosphere and attitude of the staff was off.

We were awake early so the announcements didn't really bother us too much.

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

In my roughly 300 nights on Celebrity ships, I've never heard an announcement in my cabin.  If you want to hear the announcement, you need to open your cabin door as someone has already mentioned.

As has been mentioned on this thread it was for this one particular mini cruise and not the norm. Judging by the stories I've heard here and from friends they were very keen to get everyone off and make sure nobody could make the excuse they didn't hear the announcements. Late night partying, I'm sure some guests nearly managed to sleep through them!

Phil 

Yes there is the switch in the stateroom in some ships or on others it is controlled by the TV - it was really strange almost like right you’ve had your fun, we’ve taken your money, now get off! 

These announcements were all over the ship though too - luggage tag announcements are fine but they made several final final announcements to get off while guests were eating breakfast & also while guests were in a queue at guest relations - bombarded was the word! Also guests who were back to back or took advantage of the extended stay option were being chivvied along to meeting areas, you were definitely out of luck if you wanted a lie in that day!