Carnival Dream 5 day vs. 7 day (differences?)

jamie717

We'll be sailing out of Galveston, on the Dream, for a 5 day cruise this October.  I'm curious, other than no lobster (no charge) on elegant night what other differences are there between the 5 day and 7 day?  Also, is there just the one elegant night or two? 

I may be able to give you some hints or insight/ideas. I haven’t done a 5 day, but I’ve done a 6,7, and an 8. I felt the 6 was a little too short and embarkation day came way too quickly. 😫

Can you add some time before/after your cruise to enjoy your port of departure and make that part of your vacation? (I’m considering taking a 5 day out of NOLA and will do that to see the things I didn’t get to last year.)

Also, some of the 5 days are Monday-Friday departures, which may or may not, work with your work schedule. 

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

Since when was this a thing? I was on a 4-Night cruise on the Horizon and afaik was not charged for lobster.

I could be wrong but I thought they quit having lobster, at no charge, on cruises less than 6 days more than a year ago. 

Maybe they still have it on the Horizon 4 night cruise because it's the newest ship?

6 hours ago, JerseyGirlJen said:

I may be able to give you some hints or insight/ideas. I haven’t done a 5 day, but I’ve done a 6,7, and an 8. I felt the 6 was a little too short and embarkation day came way too quickly. 😫

Can you add some time before/after your cruise to enjoy your port of departure and make that part of your vacation? (I’m considering taking a 5 day out of NOLA and will do that to see the things I didn’t get to last year.)

Also, some of the 5 days are Monday-Friday departures, which may or may not, work with your work schedule. 

For me it is the other way around. Embarkation day seems to take an eternity to get here and once on board, no matter how long the cruise is, debarkation day comes way too soon.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 10:05 PM, watermelonqueen99 said:

One elegant night on a 5 day cruise.

And 2 elegant nights on a 7 day cruise.  And 7 is better because no matter how many nights, it's never enough.

16 hours ago, jamie717 said:

I could be wrong but I thought they quit having lobster, at no charge, on cruises less than 6 days more than a year ago. 

Maybe they still have it on the Horizon 4 night cruise because it's the newest ship?

I think it was more like 3 years ago ...

17 hours ago, stobe1 said:

For me it is the other way around. Embarkation day seems to take an eternity to get here and once on board, no matter how long the cruise is, debarkation day comes way too soon.

You’re right, meant to say debarkation 🤪

3 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Well, something doesn't add up, given that I had lobster included with my meal. 

Likely one of two things happened. One, it was one of the first Horizon cruises in the states so they weren’t following the normal rules when it comes to menus in the MDR, which is most likely what happened. Or two, you didn’t pay close attention to the menu and there was a surcharge added to your account that you didn’t notice. 

Not addressing the differences in Carnival itself but my wife has the view that a 7-day cruise is when vacation starts.  Maybe that is why we are on a 10 in just a week 🙂

I would expect that there are differences in meals and shows.  Disney, for example, has great headliner shows for most nights of a shorter cruise but as they get longer the off nights become comedians.

• 2 months later...
On 5/17/2019 at 8:34 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Likely one of two things happened. One, it was one of the first Horizon cruises in the states so they weren’t following the normal rules when it comes to menus in the MDR, which is most likely what happened. Or two, you didn’t pay close attention to the menu and there was a surcharge added to your account that you didn’t notice. 

Sorry to bump, but I managed to find the menu! If I am not wrong, the lobster was in fact part of the complimentary menu. 

IMG_7328 2.jpg

15 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Sorry to bump, but I managed to find the menu! If I am not wrong, the lobster was in fact part of the complimentary menu. 

IMG_7328 2.jpg

Likely a special case as PhillyFan suggested. Lobster gate was covered quite extensively around here.