Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Debrad128

Comedy Club Hits new Low

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

There was a comedian with Tourette's on one of the Network talent shows last year. Very self deprecating.  He did very well as I recall.

I've found any comedian using themselves as part of their act is often amusing and more power to them to embrace the full hand they've been dealt!  

 

I don't find it amusing though when used by someone who doesn't have it.  Quirks and stereotypes can be funny when done right, illnesses and ailments not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

There was a comedian with Tourette's on one of the Network talent shows last year. Very self deprecating.  He did very well as I recall.

I think it's different to make fun of oneself vs others with that disability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, marci22 said:

I think it's different to make fun of oneself vs others with that disability. 

 

Very different.  Making fun of a disability like Tourette's is disgusting.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We had a comedian on Freedom of the Seas last time I was onboard that opened up with "I hope yall arent expecting much. My comedy is so bad, the other night, a paraplegic got up and WALKED OUT of the theater".

 

As a paraplegic who hasnt walked in almost 25 years, I  found it hilarious and belly laughed at this. I later saw him in the cigar lounge later on the cruise enjoying a cigar and told him how much I enjoyed the joke.    He actually seemed a little embarrassed 

Edited by ryano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marci22 said:

As an example, the adult comedian on our cruise used Tourette syndrome as part of his act. Some people laughed; I didn't think it was funny. He was mocking an actual disability. If he did the same with other, more well known disabilities, he might have been booed. He also included 'restless leg syndrome' in this bit. Some things are just not funny.

 

 

If if he was simply making fun of others, than no, wouldn’t be funny.  If he himself has the afflictions, then I think he has a right to tease himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also saw was on the harmony when the second comedian was  disgusting and not at all funny . I don’t care about language or sexual  jokes , but this guy was crossing the line the way he was speaking about oral sex!    I’m not a prude and I like to laugh, but he was not funny!!! I would have left , but they make u uncomfortable if u choose to do so! I realize it is adult comedy , but he was trying to make it pornography !  Worse yet I tried the family show and I really thought that for a family show smoking and drinking was not an appropriate topic for the whole show.   Get rid of him !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Baileyred morris said:

I don’t care about language or sexual  jokes , but this guy was crossing the line the way he was speaking about oral sex!   

 

Evidently you do.  Because he "crossed a line" talking about oral sex.  Who gets to decide where that line is?  Are you deciding for everyone?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, marci22 said:

As an example, the adult comedian on our cruise used Tourette syndrome as part of his act. Some people laughed; I didn't think it was funny. He was mocking an actual disability. If he did the same with other, more well known disabilities, he might have been booed. He also included 'restless leg syndrome' in this bit. Some things are just not funny.

 

Without hearing or seeing the act, I wouldn't be as presumptuous as some of the holy rollers here who just condemn from a position of ignorance.  Comedy has historically pushed the boundaries of propriety.  There are almost no sacred cows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

 

Evidently you do.  Because he "crossed a line" talking about oral sex.  Who gets to decide where that line is?  Are you deciding for everyone?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Baileyred morris said:

No I’m not deciding for everyone just myself and like u I’m allowed an opinion 

 

I get that, but you made it sound like he did something that EVERYONE would object to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t mean thAt at all  I know there are people that might enjoy his humor I was just giving my personal option 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

 

Without hearing or seeing the act, I wouldn't be as presumptuous as some of the holy rollers here who just condemn from a position of ignorance.  Comedy has historically pushed the boundaries of propriety.  There are almost no sacred cows. 

Kind of judgy.  I think what most of us object to is the fact that some comedians use language to cover up lack of talent, not that they cuss (yes I said it lol.  I'm from TX originally and that's what my family always said).  You're painting everyone with a pretty broad brush. I've sat through many adult comedy shows and just because someone uses adult language doesn't make them funny or talented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BND said:

Kind of judgy.  I think what most of us object to is the fact that some comedians use language to cover up lack of talent, not that they cuss (yes I said it lol.  I'm from TX originally and that's what my family always said).  You're painting everyone with a pretty broad brush. I've sat through many adult comedy shows and just because someone uses adult language doesn't make them funny or talented.

 

Well said.  And I can't understand how some people think it's OK to make fun of a disability like Tourette's Syndrome when they are not disabled.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BND said:

just because someone uses adult language doesn't make them funny or talented.

And it doesn't make them unfunny or untalented either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

 

Well said.  And I can't understand how some people think it's OK to make fun of a disability like Tourette's Syndrome when they are not disabled.

 

 

 

 

Did the OP say if the comedian had Tourette's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Did the OP say if the comedian had Tourette's?

He did not, if you mean me. And he was kind of staggering around, yelling stuff. Just painful to watch. 

Edited by marci22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off Symphony the 2 Comedians were excellent. Bring on the nasty & offensive! I loved it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BND said:

Kind of judgy.  I think what most of us object to is the fact that some comedians use language to cover up lack of talent, not that they cuss (yes I said it lol.  I'm from TX originally and that's what my family always said).  You're painting everyone with a pretty broad brush. I've sat through many adult comedy shows and just because someone uses adult language doesn't make them funny or talented.

 

The post you quoted had NOTHING to do with using foul language.  So I'm really not sure what you're trying to tell me....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BND said:

Kind of judgy.  I think what most of us object to is the fact that some comedians use language to cover up lack of talent, not that they cuss (yes I said it lol.  I'm from TX originally and that's what my family always said).  You're painting everyone with a pretty broad brush. I've sat through many adult comedy shows and just because someone uses adult language doesn't make them funny or talented.

I don't think he/she is being judgy at all. But there is a lot of judgmentalism in this thread. You are right some comedians use language to cover up lack of talent, but whether or not they are doing that is a matter of individual opinion. Besides, "a lack of talent" is subjective. The person sitting next to you may not agree there is a lack of talent and may find the profane, raunchy comedian hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vidsmart said:

I don't think he/she is being judgy at all. But there is a lot of judgmentalism in this thread. You are right some comedians use language to cover up lack of talent, but whether or not they are doing that is a matter of individual opinion. Besides, "a lack of talent" is subjective. The person sitting next to you may not agree there is a lack of talent and may find the profane, raunchy comedian hilarious.

Oh, I give up.  My entire point is just because someone cusses doesn't make them talented.  And, those of us who think talent goes beyond cussing aren't "holy rollers".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BND said:

Oh, I give up.  My entire point is just because someone cusses doesn't make them talented.  And, those of us who think talent goes beyond cussing aren't "holy rollers".

 

Yet when I mentioned "holy rollers", I wasn't even talking about cussing....  Maybe you should give up, you're making no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

And it doesn't make them unfunny or untalented either. 

I never said it did.  I said some use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 10:19 AM, Debrad128 said:

The comedy club is certainly hit or miss.  I understand it is adult, that being said our most

recent sailing was disgusting.  The comedian focused primarily on his need for oral sex, he even 

simulated a person unwilling  performing oral sex.  Am I the only one who doesn't think this is 

funny?  I wish there were some parameters so scheduling this with family and friends isn't a

big gamble in taste level.  

 

I would have walked out! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...