Stops in Cuba PROHIBITED

mrlevin

Just checked our Oct. 2020 cruise and Havana has been dropped.  Substituted Grand Cayman and a day at sea.  No price change.  The debate now begins as one of the big reasons we booked it was the overnight in Havana.  But still goes to Bermuda and St. Barts, both islands we haven't seen yet.  Although based on other discussions, St. Barts could also be dropped I suppose. A shame as we did really want to see Havana.  

33 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Just checked our Oct. 2020 cruise and Havana has been dropped.  Substituted Grand Cayman and a day at sea.  No price change.  The debate now begins as one of the big reasons we booked it was the overnight in Havana.  But still goes to Bermuda and St. Barts, both islands we haven't seen yet.  Although based on other discussions, St. Barts could also be dropped I suppose. A shame as we did really want to see Havana.  

We are on the same trip and I booked it because of the overnight in Havana which is now cancelled though no fault of Regent. I guess I'll cancel as I only was willing to take a chance on the Navigator because of Havana. Shame I'll loose the admin fee from Regent and the TA as it's not my fault either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypercafe said:

We are on the same trip and I booked it because of the overnight in Havana which is now cancelled though no fault of Regent. I guess I'll cancel as I only was willing to take a chance on the Navigator because of Havana. Shame I'll loose the admin fee from Regent and the TA as it's not my fault either. 

Your TA charges a fee?? The Regent administrative fee is applied to another Regent cruise if you book another cruise within a year

• Like 1

There are many TA's that charge a fee but the luxury TA's tend not to.  For any other posters that have a TA that charges you to book Regent, suggest that you look for a TA that pays you to sail on Regent (by giving a percentage back of your cruise fare and sometimes OBC's on top of it).

In terms of the Administration Fee from Regent, if/when you book another cruise within a year, the Administration Fee will be returned (as a credit on your invoice).

Edited by Travelcat2

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

There are many TA's that charge a fee but the luxury TA's tend not to.  For any other posters that have a TA that charges you to book Regent, suggest that you look for a TA that pays you to sail on Regent (by giving a percentage back of your cruise fare and sometimes OBC's on top of it).

In terms of the Administration Fee from Regent, if/when you book another cruise within a year, the Administration Fee will be returned (as a credit on your invoice).

This is a luxury only travel agency that pays back quiet a lot of cash however they have a admin fee as does a normal brick and mortar I sometimes deal with. I am told this a result of people that like to book more than one future trip knowing they will only pick one but want many place holder's. I believe I will swap this trip for one in November 2020 on the then new Silversea Moon.

1 hour ago, hypercafe said:

This is a luxury only travel agency that pays back quiet a lot of cash however they have a admin fee as does a normal brick and mortar I sometimes deal with. I am told this a result of people that like to book more than one future trip knowing they will only pick one but want many place holder's. I believe I will swap this trip for one in November 2020 on the then new Silversea Moon.

Agree with you about that---however I really dislike the idea of people booking more than one cruise using one or two as a place holder.  This shouldn't be allowed, and should pay a penalty for canceling. Just the way I feel......

35 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Agree with you about that---however I really dislike the idea of people booking more than one cruise using one or two as a place holder.  This shouldn't be allowed, and should pay a penalty for canceling. Just the way I feel......

There is a penalty for canceling, its $200, called administrative fee. 

On 6/5/2019 at 1:52 PM, Tucruisers said:

Don't you ever think that if a Government bans its citizens from visiting another country that is not a good thing?

I am a US citizen and I can still go to Cuba. Just not on a cruise ship. As it was 5 years ago I can get a "people to people" US visa to go to Cuba.  There in no outright ban on US travel to Cuba. The only Country I can not go to, by law, is North Korea.

J

16 hours ago, JMARINER said:

I am a US citizen and I can still go to Cuba. Just not on a cruise ship. As it was 5 years ago I can get a "people to people" US visa to go to Cuba.  There in no outright ban on US travel to Cuba. The only Country I can not go to, by law, is North Korea.

J

Huh.  I thought they did away with the people to people program completely.  If not, good.  That means there's still hope for us.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Huh.  I thought they did away with the people to people program completely.  If not, good.  That means there's still hope for us.

Still in effect as far as I know.  We chose to go to Cuba through Canada and Mexico because we wanted to avoid the restrictions that go along with the “people to people” visits.  We did not want to see a sanitized version of Cuba but the “Cuba” that Canadian’s and the rest of the world see.  Perhaps having open access and traveling by automobile (beautiful road) from Havana to Varadero that gave us a great perspective of the island.  Although we enjoyed what Havana had to offer, if that is all that we saw, we likely would not have returned.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Trump has been adding restrictions on Cuba travel, and is now adding yet another restriction.

As of June 5, 2019, the US is banning group people-to-people travel to Cuba, which has been one of the most popular ways people have traveled to Cuba. This means that those who completed at least one travel-related transaction (like booking a flight) will be grandfathered under the old rules, while starting tomorrow the new rules will apply.

• Like 2

Well, people from the U.S. can likely still get there if they fly through Mexico or Canada.  However, given the feeling that Cuban's would likely have about people from the U.S. (rightfully so), I would wait a couple of years before trying to fly to Cuba illegally.

Both times that we flew to Cuba, we asked the passport person (partially in English and partially in Spanish) not to stamp our passports .  His reply?  "No problem!"

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Still in effect as far as I know.  We chose to go to Cuba through Canada and Mexico because we wanted to avoid the restrictions that go along with the “people to people” visits.  We did not want to see a sanitized version of Cuba but the “Cuba” that Canadian’s and the rest of the world see.  Perhaps having open access and traveling by automobile (beautiful road) from Havana to Varadero that gave us a great perspective of the island.  Although we enjoyed what Havana had to offer, if that is all that we saw, we likely would not have returned.  

LOL!! Not the "sanitized version"??? I have no idea what version you got.  Did you ever want to see the "real version"?? Probably not, why would anybody want to see that!

15 hours ago, rallydave said:

Trump has been adding restrictions on Cuba travel, and is now adding yet another restriction.

As of June 5, 2019, the US is banning group people-to-people travel to Cuba, which has been one of the most popular ways people have traveled to Cuba. This means that those who completed at least one travel-related transaction (like booking a flight) will be grandfathered under the old rules, while starting tomorrow the new rules will apply.

Yeah, as I thought.  Too bad, although this was such an artificial construct.

7 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

LOL!! Not the "sanitized version"??? I have no idea what version you got.  Did you ever want to see the "real version"?? Probably not, why would anybody want to see that!

Not all Canadians go just to the sanitized resorts like Varadero.  They stay in the 'casa particular' accommodations.  Some bike around the island.  Many stay in Havana trying to see beyond the decay and getting to know Cubans.  I wish I had done this myself, but as I said, my husband is dual and has always been loathe to break the law.

9 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Guess I do like to see the reality of how people live, etc. in all countries.  One thing that we learned (in Africa) is that, although living conditions can appear horrible to many of us, the people are happy - even proud - of what they have.  A tour guide even took us inside of his home to show it to the group.  

Not saying that this is the case in Cuba since they have a horrible government.  It is interesting to us that - even though so many people struggle in Cuba, they provide free education and good healthcare (at least according to the Cubans that we spoke to).  Having the freedom to go where we wish likely gave us the opportunity to learn more about the people than if we were in a sanitized program.

• Like 1

TC is correct. Cuba has an excellent healthcare system as evidenced by its healthcare outcomes.  The reason for this is their focus on preventative medicine. With over 90,000 physicians for an 11+ million population, that is over 8 docs for every thousand persons as compared to the US and UK which are around 2.5 and  2.7 physicians per thousand, respectively. Of course, physicians are paid much, much less in Cuba than in the US. Each citizen is required to have an annual physical exam and are assigned more frequent exams if health issues are discovered. Physicians are allocated and positioned throughout the communities and most are primary care. The emphasis is definitely on prevention of disease and chronic illnesses. 

• Like 1

Interesting post Focused1.  I was to aware of just how good the healthcare was!

To those that think that Varadero is "sanitized" - yep - it sure is but it makes a great home base.  Sort of akin to sailing on Regent - going into port to see whatever is offered in that port/city and returning to the comfort of your suite on Regent at the end of the day.  

Another thing is/was (not sure about today) not great in Cuba is the food.  When Club Med was there, they were the only resort that could bring in their own food (from France of course) which made our stay there considerably better than at the other all-inclusive resort (which either Breezes, Sandals or some other resort that was popular in the late '90's).  When all else fails, their rum is quite good😄

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 4:00 PM, Travelcat2 said:

That's the experience I'm hoping to have eventually.  Such a fascinating history, and I'm very interested in music and arts there.  (That's one of the primary reasons I travel at all -- experiencing different cultures and artistic sensibilities.)  Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to sort out a way to experience Cuba in the next few years ... )

Lana in Bellingham, WA

We were in Havana for a day last September on a cruise and really enjoyed it. Though some buildings in old town were beyond ramshackle, others were beautifully restored, and we had a blast wondering the streets of old town, having a beer, and exploring all the art galleries featuring, I might add, friendly proprietors and quite reasonably priced art. We’d also pass the occasional group of cheerful uniformed  school kids. 

The lack of American tourism dollars is going to be a huge blow to the people of Havana. We were going to book a Viking cruise that stopped exclusively at Cuban ports. Maybe we’ll be able to do it some day in the future, but I fear it won’t be for a long while.

When we were on the people to people tour, in Havana we visited El Tanque, which was a restored water tank in a very impoverished suburb of Havana.  They made it into an arts community for old and young which totally revitalized th neighborhood,   Very inspiring!

,https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147271-d11950094-Reviews-Proyecto_Cultural_Muraleando-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html