Lower Deck Experience?

I'm exploring our options for a northern Europe cruise next summer. We're taking 3 cruises next year, so I'd prefer to stick with the price of an interior room for this cruise. I've stayed in everything from interior to junior suite, and quite honestly I don't have much preference on cabin type, but I've always been on an upper deck. For the only Royal Caribbean cruise that works with our dates, the only interior rooms available are on lower decks. I can get a balcony on an upper deck for almost twice as much, but I'd rather not spend that on this cruise (I can get an upper deck interior room on MSC, which I'm also considering, but I'm much more familiar with Royal Caribbean). If you've stayed on a lower deck, what was your experience, particularly with feeling ship movement? Was there anything you wish you'd known ahead of time?

The size of the ship, and the location (midship vs. fore or aft) will make a difference if you get into rougher seas.

Weren’t to get midship for all our cruises, and usually go lower on the smaller ones.  We were on deck 3 midship on Grandeur in April, and felt quite a bit of movement even there on rough seadays.  Of course, pool deck was closed due to rough weather those days, and movement was more noticeable the higher you went.

The lower the deck, the less motion you feel...higher decks perceive more motion...think of a see-saw...the part closest to the middle has less movement than the ends.  Whichever deck you choose, try to get something as close to the middle of the ship as possible.

We choose our deck based on where we intend to spend our daytime hours....we do a lot of back and forth to the cabin in the daytime...not so much at night, so being able to use the stairs, rather than the elevator makes that easier.  I can do 2-3 flights, but hubby prefers the elevator opposed to long flights of stairs..especially up!  Each flight is longer than what is typically in a home.  He has End-stage Renal Disease (on dialysis) and doesn't have the energy he used to have.

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

The lower the deck, the less ship movement you will feel.

Also is very convenient for getting off for excursions and for the return - no need to fight for an elevator!   An elderly cruiser told me  when I was new to cruise world - the more you pay the more you sway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For my last cruise, all that was available was a deck 3 cabin and I've always been on seven or higher.  I booked it anyway.  But I called a couple weeks before the cruise and a deck seven had opened up.  I realize that wasn't your question, but if you'd prefer a higher deck, it's worth trying!

When we first started cruising we always had deck 2 or 3 and the only problem we encountered was some noise coming from the crew's quarters  on one ship when they were having a party or just talking  loudly and laughing. We contacted Customer Relations and we never heard another peep.

13 hours ago, Sweetsue5680 said:

Deck 2 insides on Serenade and Vision have been wonderful and a bonus is upon returning from port days no waiting for elevator!

agree, just back from Rhapsody from Venice.  Admittedly the sea was very calm but no movement felt at all on deck two.  And very convenient to just pop up one floor to our cabin when returning tired out from a long port day.  

19 hours ago, willing292 said:

Try to get a cabin that is mid ship.  The ones towards the bow and stern can be noises due to the anchor, etc.

THANK YOU! I hadn't thought about this possible problem. I'm planning a 2 night cruise out of Sydney in 2021 and currently researching my options. Budget-wise probably going for an Inside Stateroom with Virtual Window IF I can get a Handicapped Accessible Stateroom. I will do the booking through my Travel Agent, not personally confident in booking online, though VERY happy to do most of the research and walk in with a list of bookings I'd like her to make for me. The agency staff all know me now, 2 cruises on other lines in the payment stage, and I'm in every fortnight without fail for more payments.

Edited by crochetcruise
Accidental incorrect use of Bold.

We have enjoyed cabins on decks 3 and 4.   As we never use elevators and are avid walkers we get the benefit of more exercise, too.

However, we once had a Deck 2 cabin that was very creaky for almost the entire cruise.  We have not booked on Deck 2 since.  

Edited by Bookish Angel