Hot Glass

S & LS

My BH is a true artist and works in all media. She has done a paperweight before. Is this class worth the money?

Is there one on one instruction? How long is the class and would she have one on one instruction?

Thanks

S & LS

Boynton Beach, Fl

I tried the glass blowing class on Equinox last October because I thought it would be a cool way to create a souvenir that would be more meaningful than anything I could purchase onboard.  I made a “tumbler,” which really is about the size of a pencil cup, and I absolutely love it.  It was a very cool experience and I am very glad I did it.  You sign up for your prefered date and time and work one-on-one with one of the instructors.  The class takes roughly 20 minutes, but to be honest, most of the work is done by the instructor and the hands-on participation will depend on the type of object created.  This was perfect for me, as I am not artistic in any way, but a true artist may find it to be too restrictive…

I have done it twice and really enjoyed it. I would recommend that your wife go up and watch others do the class and then decide. I found that it was easy to book a class while on board. Usually done on sea days. There are several things to chose from, priced accordingly. One note, classes were cancelled one morning due to high winds, but rescheduled. 

9 minutes ago, CruisinDawn said:

We booked it for the Equinox Feb 2020 but you just booked, no picking a day or time which felt odd, any ideas?

BonVoyage

Dawna

There were numerous slots available on our cruise on Equinox.    

Just now, keesar said:

There were numerous slots available on our cruise on Equinox.    

So you need to book again once onboard? We already booked & paid in the planner. That is why I am confused. VERY use to Royal, normally you pick a date & time. This experience you just booked & paid, no option to pick a date/time.

BonVoyage

Dawna

18 minutes ago, CruisinDawn said:

So you need to book again once onboard? We already booked & paid in the planner. That is why I am confused. VERY use to Royal, normally you pick a date & time. This experience you just booked & paid, no option to pick a date/time.

BonVoyage

Dawna

On our cruise, you needed to book a time when on the ship.  Don't worry as there was a lot of availability, especially after the first couple of days on the ship.

31 minutes ago, CruisinDawn said:

BonVoyage

Dawna

That was the same as me--booked through the planner.  I expected some notification when I got onboard, but didn't have anything so I went to guest services.  They tried calling to set up my appointment but because no one answered, I had to go upstairs.  By then many of the appointments were filled, but I did get in.  Apparently there is somewhere in the planner where you can schedule your appointment, but I don't know where it is; you'd think once you booked and paid for the class, you'd be given a link to scheduling.

I thought it was interesting and would do it again.  I made a Christmas ornament.

Edited by hiccups
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, hiccups said:

That was the same as me--booked through the planner.  I expected some notification when I got onboard, but didn't have anything so I went to guest services.  They tried calling to set up my appointment but because no one answered, I had to go upstairs.  By then many of the appointments were filled, but I did get in.  Apparently there is somewhere in the planner where you can schedule your appointment, but I don't know where it is; you'd think once you booked and paid for the class, you'd be given a link to scheduling.

I thought it was interesting and would do it again.  I made a Christmas ornament.

So, your advice would be to just go up to the Hot Glass area, as soon as we board -- to nail down a time slot? I'm doing a 'girls cruise' on Eclipse, this fall. Thought it would be fun to make something to take home to my DH (we were BOTH big fans of the Corning Glass Shows). Need to wait to book until I'm onboard, and some of my OBC kicks-in, though. 🤔

6 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

So, your advice would be to just go up to the Hot Glass area, as soon as we board -- to nail down a time slot? I'm doing a 'girls cruise' on Eclipse, this fall. Thought it would be fun to make something to take home to my DH (we were BOTH big fans of the Corning Glass Shows). Need to wait to book until I'm onboard, and some of my OBC kicks-in, though. 🤔

Well, I had purchased the class in the cruise planner, I just didn't have a time slot booked because I didn't know it was available somewhere online.

I'd go up as soon as you board and find out if that's where you pay for it, as I'm not sure if they do that, or guest services or shore excursions.  But once you've paid for it, get your time slot as soon as you can.

Prices start at $59 for an ornament, flower or paperweight, and go up to I think $118.

24 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

I'm not sure if they are open during embarkation but the hours will be posted.  The earlier in the sailing you go, the better your chances of booking a class on your preferred day & time.  Keep in mind that you cannot take your creation with you the same day you make it, as it needs time to cool, so you will be told when to come back for it.  They will have samples and pricing of the different objects you can make, which gives you a much better idea of what you'll actually get.  You can pay for it when you sign up - it goes right on your seapass card.  Hollywood Hot Glass has much more info on their website. 

Here's a link to their website: https://www.hollywoodhotglass.com/celebrity-cruises.html

Edited by OT-Miami
  • Like 1

Okay...so I booked the class on the Cruise Planner...then called Celebrity to be told that I need to go to either the Shore Excursions Desk or Guest Services when I board to select a date and time.  The rep couldn't tell me if the class is only on sea days, which I presumed, or if it is also on port days which wouldn't be nearly as popular.  Thanks for the info about the fluctuating prices based on the piece you choose to make.  That info is nowhere in the planner...just mentions $59 which I've paid using OBC.

Should be fun!

9 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

Okay...so I booked the class on the Cruise Planner...then called Celebrity to be told that I need to go to either the Shore Excursions Desk or Guest Services when I board to select a date and time.  The rep couldn't tell me if the class is only on sea days, which I presumed, or if it is also on port days which wouldn't be nearly as popular.  Thanks for the info about the fluctuating prices based on the piece you choose to make.  That info is nowhere in the planner...just mentions $59 which I've paid using OBC.

Should be fun!

There is usually a demonstration glass blowing at around 3:30 pm when you board.  It was open for  part of a day for every day except the last sea day.  "Closed for rest".  

Classes are 20  minutes.

I prepaid for the class using Cruise Planner. Once we boarded, I received a call from the hot class ladies telling me to come up and make My appointment time for the class. I found that due to weather conditions, they can’t preassign the class times , until the ship sails. One ,morning classes were cancelled due to high winds. So, if not in your cruise calendar, don’t worry. I took the class and enjoyed so much, I scheduled another when I went up to pick up my piece the next day. 

• Like 1

I did the glassblowing on the Equinox last year and I loved it! I was actually surprised that I got to do as much as I did, I didn't just blow in the tube. I made a vase and I think it was $90 and I use it all of the time. It was a good use of my OBC in my opinion. It actually flowers in it right now!

20190614_104753.jpg

WOW, Clever -- that vase is really pretty! Was this your first time trying glass blowing? LOVE the colors -- did you pick those out, or did the 'pros' suggest them? I'm afraid that whatever I make will just turn out to be a muddy-colored blob. I'll just plan on telling DH that I made him a 'uniquely-colored' paperweight, when I take it home! 😉

On 6/13/2019 at 10:59 AM, deliver42 said:

I'm booled on the Equinox for December, and can't find how to book the glass blowing for my wife.

Go to your cruise planner. It’s under the “Internet and Photos” section. There’s one for a single person and one for two people. The one for two is cheaper p.p. than two individual people. I didn’t see anywhere to pick a date or time.

8 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

WOW, Clever -- that vase is really pretty! Was this your first time trying glass blowing? LOVE the colors -- did you pick those out, or did the 'pros' suggest them? I'm afraid that whatever I make will just turn out to be a muddy-colored blob. I'll just plan on telling DH that I made him a 'uniquely-colored' paperweight, when I take it home! 😉

They will have lots of little dishes with different colored frit (little glass pieces that look like sprinkles) and they will let you pick. But they will tell you if what you pick won't turn out well. 😃

8 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Here are my 2 pieces that I made with help. 

flower.jpg

pumpkin.jpg

I really liked the pumpkin, but was afraid for some reason it wouldn't look as good as the sample.  Yours does, so maybe I'll splurge and do that one next time!