Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
rattanchair

Observations from the Breakaway Haven

Recommended Posts

Just now, andymattmom said:

We were in the Breakaway Haven a couple weeks ago. Saw a gentleman come to lunch at the restaurant wet, towel wrapped around his neck. He proceeds to lift his shirt up and dry off his stomach and armpits in the restaurant.

 

Dear AMM,   I very much enjoyed your review. It prompted me to give these observations. Thank you for posting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zephyr69 said:

That’s a great story. Thanks for sharing.  Did you  offer any assistance? Maybe just telling us this story on cruise critic will make you feel better. I’m glad you’re having a great cruise. By the way it’s accept not “except” Lol.

Dear Z,  Touche ! Thanks for noticing.

Edited by rattanchair
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, andymattmom said:

We were in the Breakaway Haven a couple weeks ago. Saw a gentleman come to lunch at the restaurant wet, towel wrapped around his neck. He proceeds to lift his shirt up and dry off his stomach and armpits in the restaurant.

 

Just before Christmas there was an elderly couple that came to breakfast in their bathrobes, I saw them on two different mornings. We also had the H6 aft suite. I even took a couple of baths in the oversized tub.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, andymattmom said:

We were in the Breakaway Haven a couple weeks ago. Saw a gentleman come to lunch at the restaurant wet, towel wrapped around his neck. He proceeds to lift his shirt up and dry off his stomach and armpits in the restaurant.

 

Just before Christmas there was an elderly couple that came to breakfast in their bathrobes, I saw them on two different mornings. We also had the H6 aft suite. I even took a couple of baths in the oversized tub.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, andymattmom said:

We were in the Breakaway Haven a couple weeks ago. Saw a gentleman come to lunch at the restaurant wet, towel wrapped around his neck. He proceeds to lift his shirt up and dry off his stomach and armpits in the restaurant.

 

Just before Christmas there was an elderly couple that came to breakfast in their bathrobes, I saw them on two different mornings. We also had the H6 aft suite. I even took a couple of baths in the oversized tub.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry. Got some weird message and posted three times by mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, andymattmom said:

We were in the Breakaway Haven a couple weeks ago. Saw a gentleman come to lunch at the restaurant wet, towel wrapped around his neck. He proceeds to lift his shirt up and dry off his stomach and armpits in the restaurant.

 

That is so gross! 😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Greenpea2 said:

That is so gross! 😮

Yes and sad thing is the Haven said there is no dress code! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I travel I always have professional level camera equipment at hand, and always document my journey. Face plant in your soup, and I guarantee you will become insta-famous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

When I travel I always have professional level camera equipment at hand, and always document my journey. Face plant in your soup, and I guarantee you will become insta-famous.

 

Everyone has high resolution cameras all the time, the internet is full of videos of people doing dumb things, your chances of launching the next viral video are low. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must pick the most boring cruises, because I've never experienced anything like some have seen.  The Haven Restaurant was very quiet, as was the lounge and the pool area.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

something in the water.

 

It's not the water that's the problem. It's the diluent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, perditax said:

 

Everyone has high resolution cameras all the time, the internet is full of videos of people doing dumb things, your chances of launching the next viral video are low. 

Most people don't have equipment like I do. Trust me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only interesting thing I’ve seen in a Haven restaurant was a women who was being visited during the meal by the Haven concierge to go over her extremely long, written list of complaints. She also sent every one of her dishes back. At breakfast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's unlikely that I will ever travel in the Haven, but it's also clear that I'm missing a lot of entertainment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been giving serious thought to trying Haven but this thread is definitely giving me second thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Hi RC,

You are so right!  Thank you for the sage advice.  Not sure why I was getting so bogged down by $400 bucks.  Just called my TA to get the room I've wanted all along (9916).  If the information on CC is accurate, I believe this deck offers the deepest balconies.  Mom is going to love it and the experience for her will be priceless.  Have fun on the Equinox...one of my favorite ships and the Celebrity suite is awesome!  Enjoy!

 

 We booked an H6 on deck nine of the Bliss. This is the video that I found of the balcony of our stateroom. The balcony looks very nice.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Hi RC,

You are so right!  Thank you for the sage advice.  Not sure why I was getting so bogged down by $400 bucks.  Just called my TA to get the room I've wanted all along (9916).  If the information on CC is accurate, I believe this deck offers the deepest balconies.  Mom is going to love it and the experience for her will be priceless.  Have fun on the Equinox...one of my favorite ships and the Celebrity suite is awesome!  Enjoy!

 

I was in this room in April. Let me know if you have questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO, 

I'd rather have the OP's experience in the Haven than mine the second and last time I've sailed there.  

 

I endured a huge family (probably more than 20 people of all ages) take over the BA Haven .  Nerf balls flying, no tables available ever (even when the folks were in the pool forever but left their stuff on the tables), no hot tubs available ever and a concierge who told me that "when there's a large group on board there's really nothing we can do" in response to my comment/complaint to him.  That is code for "we cannot give you a good experience in the Haven because this group owns more rooms than you do for this week."

 

I loved my first Haven experience (on the 3rd sailing of the Breakaway) but I'll never do it again after the second time.  

 

The Haven is a total crap shoot in my experience.  It all depends on who else is booked during your cruise.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tymike said:

IMHO, 

I'd rather have the OP's experience in the Haven than mine the second and last time I've sailed there.  

 

I endured a huge family (probably more than 20 people of all ages) take over the BA Haven .  Nerf balls flying, no tables available ever (even when the folks were in the pool forever but left their stuff on the tables), no hot tubs available ever and a concierge who told me that "when there's a large group on board there's really nothing we can do" in response to my comment/complaint to him.  That is code for "we cannot give you a good experience in the Haven because this group owns more rooms than you do for this week."

 

I loved my first Haven experience (on the 3rd sailing of the Breakaway) but I'll never do it again after the second time.  

 

The Haven is a total crap shoot in my experience.  It all depends on who else is booked during your cruise.

 

 

I am surprised that that tiny pool would hold more than four people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

We booked an H6 on deck nine of the Bliss. This is the video that I found of the balcony of our stateroom. The balcony looks very nice.

 

There are differences between a deck 9 H6 on Bliss (yours) and a deck 9 H6 on Breakaway (where Georgia -Peaches will be). The bedroom/master bedroom configuration is the opposite and the Breakaway deck 9 H6 balcony is deeper (with a support pole) than the Bliss deck 9 H6 balcony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, perditax said:

 

I was in this room in April. Let me know if you have questions.

Awesome! Here are my questions:

1.  Any noise issues from the restaurants below?

2.  How was the a/c? Cold?

3.  Did you have issues with your toilets?  Did they flush consistently?

4.  What was your route to the Haven being that deck 9 aft is so far away? 

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Awesome! Here are my questions:

1.  Any noise issues from the restaurants below?

2.  How was the a/c? Cold?

3.  Did you have issues with your toilets?  Did they flush consistently?

4.  What was your route to the Haven being that deck 9 aft is so far away? 

 

Thank you!

 

No noise except occasional room rattling (e.g., hangers in closets) during some maneuvering. Couldn’t hear any venues. 

 

A/C was good. Like similar ships, it may take a bit to reached desired temp. There are also several thermostats IIRC. 

 

No flushing problems. (The trick is: press the big button hard with both thumbs.) We did notice the shower in the front/small bathroom always smelled like what I can only describe as cat urine, which would go away if we ran water into the shower drain, but always came back. There were only two of us so we just didn’t use that bathroom. We didn’t bother complaining because it was a shorter cruise and crew seemed understaffed. 

 

We always walked down the aft stairs one floor to deck 8 (also: meridian bar is right there, so that’s nice), then crossed the ship on deck 8 (straight shot across), took forward elevator up to Haven. 

 

I think I left a peso on one of the top closet shelves in the master bedroom, if it’s still there you’ll know it hasn’t been dusted. =D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We loved our H6 on the Getaway recently, but we’re looking at an H8 on the Bliss. It’s 1k more for the H6, and as much as I’d like to stay in the H6 again, it’s a good opportunity to try something different, and put the 1k towards another Haven cruise. I would probably go over budget on an H6 in Alaska 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...