Summit Sunset Bar.Put canopy back

watson50

Hello everyone. We have sailed the Summit many times and were very disappointed that they removed the canopy that used to cover the bar and many table areas. We always hung out there but can't anymore. There is no shade, so you bake in the sun either at the bar or at a table. If it starts to rain,even a light sprinkle, everyone leaves. I was speaking to one of the bartenders and he said the water runs down onto the bar. They could put the canopy back on , have some form of illumination to highlight this very poor design choice. At lease people can still hang out and not bake or get wet. Most everything on their upgrade was good, but this was just dumb. Any opinions?

• Like 7

No tables in the balcony rooms or tiny tables & no footstools in Aqua on the veranda, now no canopy over an aft bar?  I think the people doing the upgrading have never cruised.  If we order breakfast, lunch, or dinner to our room do we "picnic" on the bed?  Yikes.

• Like 2

We were on the summit to Bermuda in late May and didn't take issue with it. There is still enough shade under the bar (where the stools are) that those who wanted shade could sit there, and those who wanted to be in the sun could sit at a table.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, watson50 said:

Hello everyone. We have sailed the Summit many times and were very disappointed that they removed the canopy that used to cover the bar and many table areas. We always hung out there but can't anymore. There is no shade, so you bake in the sun either at the bar or at a table. If it starts to rain,even a light sprinkle, everyone leaves. I was speaking to one of the bartenders and he said the water runs down onto the bar. They could put the canopy back on , have some form of illumination to highlight this very poor design choice. At lease people can still hang out and not bake or get wet. Most everything on their upgrade was good, but this was just dumb. Any opinions?

Did you mention this in your PCS? 

1 hour ago, JonnyCT81 said:

We were on the summit to Bermuda in late May and didn't take issue with it. There is still enough shade under the bar (where the stools are) that those who wanted shade could sit there, and those who wanted to be in the sun could sit at a table.

Limited number of bar stools. 

• Like 1

Limited number of bar stools. 
We never saw it full enough to be an issue, there always was ample seating for all. In any case with the summit getting out of drydock now she's not going to be back in for another 5 years at the earliest. It seems Celebrity is removing a lot of the shade from all their ships, and not including it in their new builds (i.e. Edge). I'm a shade guy, so I hope they don't forget about those who don't want to be in the sun the time.

17 minutes ago, JonnyCT81 said:

We never saw it full enough to be an issue, there always was ample seating for all. In any case with the summit getting out of drydock now she's not going to be back in for another 5 years at the earliest. It seems Celebrity is removing a lot of the shade from all their ships, and not including it in their new builds (i.e. Edge). I'm a shade guy, so I hope they don't forget about those who don't want to be in the sun the time.

Not really. I have (no matter the ship) especially in the afternoon on sea days. I don't have a dog in this fight as I like the sun but agree with the OP bring back the canopy for those that want shade without having to wait for a bar stool. Now our September 2019 Summit cruise shouldn't be an issue. 😏

Edited by davekathy

The Summit lacks shade in many areas post revolution. We found it difficult to find a nice place to hang out in the shade even while having access to the Retreat. Maybe winter is not so bad but we were on in March and it was a scorcher.

12 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

At least one (Ms. Hoppen) admitted that lack of experience

Ms. Hoppen saw her lack of experience as an advantage.  She could re-imagine the ship without any pre-existing constraints.

How'd that work out?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hoppen was responsible for the cabins.  You can blame her for no footstools or tables.  Other designers made the recommendations for other areas of the ship.  So the lack of shade at the Sunset Bar probably was designed by somebody else and had to be approved by the Celebrity higher-ups.  No matter really.  No need for constant scapegoats.  Not a good decision but one pretty easy to fix if they get enough negative feedback from paying customers.  Adding a canopy can be easily done on a port day.

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Hoppen was responsible for the cabins.  You can blame her for no footstools or tables.  Other designers made the recommendations for other areas of the ship.  So the lack of shade at the Sunset Bar probably was designed by somebody else and had to be approved by the Celebrity higher-ups.  No matter really.  No need for constant scapegoats.  Not a good decision but one pretty easy to fix if they get enough negative feedback from paying customers.  Adding a canopy can be easily done on a port day.

On "M" class Ms Hoppen was only responsible for the suites.  The regular rooms I believe were done by some large 3 letter firm that escapes me now.  If you notice there are no succulents int he regular rooms!  They are all over the Hoppen designed areas.

Sailed the Infinity on a TA in April which still has the canopy

It bakes in the sun even with the canopy

and when it rained MOST of those eating at the tables left for inside. 

During rough seas the outside tables were moved into the walk area of the OVC to provide more seating. 

The bigger issue is lack of privacy for the 5 aft balconies above. Far more visible now than when the canopy was in place

I don't see them making a change on this anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

Sailed the Infinity on a TA in April which still has the canopy

It bakes in the sun even with the canopy

and when it rained MOST of those eating at the tables left for inside. 

During rough seas the outside tables were moved into the walk area of the OVC to provide more seating. 

The bigger issue is lack of privacy for the 5 aft balconies above. Far more visible now than when the canopy was in place

I don't see them making a change on this anytime soon.

Comments like this make me really rethink my Aft Aqua on Connie ....:-( 

Just off Summit and we often had lunch on the fantail.     While their is no Canvas Cover the slats do provide about 50% filtered shading.    We ate both in the open area and in the partially shaded area and found it comfortable and usually difficult to find a seat outside to eat lunch.  

I'm not a big sun bathing person but know that many are.    I still find people staking out full sun areas on the sunbathing decks.   The shaded areas at least to me never seemed to be full on the pool deck.     I did find that many on the track deck found seating in the shade but the shaded area was never full.

Just some observation not wanting to get into a debate over sun / no-sun.

• Like 1