Change in shareholder benefits

LaineyParker

On the Carnival Corporation site under Shareholder Onboard Credit Benefits, it says that reservations must be made by February 28, 2020.” Does anyone have information to indicate that they will not offer OBC for shareholders after that date?

This benefit is something that they have to renew each year. So far it has been renewed over and over but it's not a guaranteed benefit. Most likely it will be renewed once again.

Note: I have already applied my shareholder benefit to 3 cruises we have booked for fall of 2020.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, LaineyParker said:

On the Carnival Corporation site under Shareholder Onboard Credit Benefits, it says that reservations must be made by February 28, 2020.” Does anyone have information to indicate that they will not offer OBC for shareholders after that date?

Nobody could predict that. It has been renewed now for many years. Fingers crossed.

12 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Let's hope they keep up the shareholder benefit - the performance of the stock isn't benefitting us much!  At least we get something for owning stock.

I have zero problems with the dividend.The stock has gone down recently but the dividend has stayed the same. For 100 shares a dividend of $50 per quarter is pretty good.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I don’t think many buy for performance. 

We purchased at $12 so we are way ahead. 

Its all about the OBC!

So far I've lost 20% this year.  Princess seems to go down while the rest of the market skyrockets...

20 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Its all about the OBC!

I agree that it's all about the OBC.  I think if Carnival were to discontinue the Shareholder Benefit a lot of Carnival stock would get dumped.  That wouldn't help the price per share.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Note: I have already applied my shareholder benefit to 3 cruises we have booked for fall of 2020.

I didn't know we can request the credit so far ahead of the cruise departure date.  According to the fine print of the request form (I got the link to that form from a CC post; couldn't remember when was the post), it says "Brokerage statement should be dated no earlier than 3 months prior to cruise departure date".   I have 3 cruises booked, one in August 2019 and two in 2020.  Because of the statement above, when I sent in my June brokerage statement yesterday, I only sent in the request form for the August 2019 cruise.    

29 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Its all about the OBC!

Must have purchased shortly after 911? That's definitely a great price. We bought at $37 and have been happy with the benefits. The OBC and dividends have been great. We haven't actually broken even yet but are closing in on that milestone. We will finally pass our initial investment after our fall 2020 cruises. (Of course we may book a little 10 day Mexico or something before those cruises so may hit the goal slightly sooner.)

• Like 1

Last year I sent in a request for Shareholder OBC In October 2018 for a sailing in April of 2019.  I had no problem with the OBC being applied.  Also, I didn't send a form in, just a letter identifying me, booking number, ship, sailing date and a copy of my brokerage statement.  It worked just fine.

10 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

I didn't know we can request the credit so far ahead of the cruise departure date.  According to the fine print of the request form (I got the link to that form from a CC post; couldn't remember when was the post), it says "Brokerage statement should be dated no earlier than 3 months prior to cruise departure date".   I have 3 cruises booked, one in August 2019 and two in 2020.  Because of the statement above, when I sent in my June brokerage statement yesterday, I only sent in the request form for the August 2019 cruise.    

What's written and what's happening in practice are two different things. They pretty much enforced the 3 month rule until Princess starting requiring pre-payments for shore excursions. Shortly after that, Princess allowed OBC to be applied to shorex and then they started applying the shareholder OBC without any date requirement. Go ahead and request the OBC for your two cruises in 2020.

28 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Consistently inconsistent.  🤔

I bought my 100 shares in January 2009 for $19.60/share.  CCL I am sure as long as they can financially, will keep renewing the shareholder OBC since it is a great incentive for shareholders to sail on Carnival Corp ships instead of another cruiseline.  In addition if enough small shareholders have bought shares, it makes Carnival Corp not as attractive of a takeover by another corporation.  I do not anticipate any changes in the stockholder benefits.  

3 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

3 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

What's written and what's happening in practice are two different things. They pretty much enforced the 3 month rule until Princess starting requiring pre-payments for shore excursions. Shortly after that, Princess allowed OBC to be applied to shorex and then they started applying the shareholder OBC without any date requirement. Go ahead and request the OBC for your two cruises in 2020.

Beginning this year Booking Support eliminated the cutoff dates from the SOBC request form because each March SOBC has been renewed for another year.  By eliminating the dates they don’t need to modify the request form yearly.  The 3 month requirement was removed from the top portion of the form but still has an asterisk * that it’s still a requirement.  That hasn’t applied to any of my requests in the past 2 years so apparently that no longer applies.

beg3yrs explained why we can get SOBC issued long before a cruise which has applied to all of cruises since then.  We’ve been issued SOBC as long as 23 months prior to a cruise & all of our recent & future cruises had the SOBC immediately issued long before our cruises.

Could it not be renewed?  Only CCL can make that decision but Princess Booking Support who issues the SOBC apparently feels it will be renewed each March & has eliminated the valid dates. 🙂

Shareholder Benefit Request Form.pdf

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I agree that it's all about the OBC.  I think if Carnival were to discontinue the Shareholder Benefit a lot of Carnival stock would get dumped.  That wouldn't help the price per share.

You are badly overestimating the influence that small shareholders can have on the stock. It’s essentially none 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bemis12 said:

You are badly overestimating the influence that small shareholders can have on the stock. It’s essentially none 

I didn't say the stock would be worthless.  I said if Carnival discontinued the shareholder benefit and everybody who has CCL stock for the OBC and dumped the stock it wouldn't help the stock price.  Carnival offers the shareholder benefit for 100+ shares as an incentive for a reason.  It gets people who normally wouldn't buy CCL to buy it. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Daniel A said:

On the other had if Carnival would give additional OB credit based upon the number of shares owned, many people would probably buy even more.:classic_rolleyes:

14 hours ago, bemis12 said:

So if a large number of shareholders suddenly started selling their stock you think it will not have any influence?  I wonder if Carnival Corp wants to take the chance you are right.  We shall see.

23 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Its all about the OBC!

Maybe it’s not many but I bought my first 100 shares years ago at about $23 and have since bought substantially more as a “position.” I’ve done very well between the dividends and stock price increase. 

Buying stock is always a gamble and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I think the current price dip is due to the recent environmental fines publicity. The stock dipped after the Concordia accident and recovered nicely. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

Maybe it’s not many but I bought my first 100 shares years ago at about $23 and have since bought substantially more as a “position.” I’ve done very well between the dividends and stock price increase. 

Buying stock is always a gamble and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I think the current price dip is due to the recent environmental fines publicity. The stock dipped after the Concordia accident and recovered nicely. 

I like your optimism.  I hope you're correct!