port of calls to avoid in Alaska

partijo

I have read, SOMEWHERE, about the port of calls in Alaska that are boring or too tourist-oriented (same stores, diff port).  We are cruising July 29, 2019 for 14 days and would like to not leave ship if unnecessary.  The excursions are VERY spendy.😎 Thank you

Honestly, I'm not sure where you read this - every Alaska port that we have visited - and we have visited most all of them, even some of the more obscure like Homer and Kodiak - is spectacular in it's own right. I'm assuming the reference you have read might be from folks who just walk through towns like Skagway or Ketchikan and note the typical jewelry stores, tourist shops, etc. But that is a very limited view of these ports and I would really feel sad for anyone who missed out on everything Alaskan ports have to offer due to this type of misinformation.

I agree with you that the ship tours are expensive - you do not need to rely on ship tours. Perhaps consider what you could do on your own - it is very easy in Alaska to book your own private tours or plan private excursions and generally much less expensive. Some examples of this would include renting a car so you can get outside of the towns and see the beauty that lies beyond.

Without knowing the specifics of your cruise and also what your interests are - it is hard to give you recommendations. Perhaps if you can provide a little more information about your itinerary we can chime in and give you suggestions. I really can't imagine ever staying on the ship in any port in Alaska - it is truly special and every port offers something worthwhile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you post your itinerary (or even just the ship) then folks will chime in on the ports.  We are taking our first trip to Alaska on a 7 day cruise departing on July 29th and already know we want to go back!  We have a fairly large group and are planning several different activities, to include ship excursions, third party excursions, renting a car, and taking a cab to a trail head to hike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the ports in Alaska are too touristy what is your opinion of some of the Caribbean ports where there are two blocks of diamond and jewellery stores right off of the ship.

There is lots of history in all of the ports in Alaska with Sitka and Skagway being two of the best.

Icy Strait Point is run by a First Nations corporation and certainly doesn't bore me and I have been there several times.

Cruising through the waters of Glacier Bay, Hubbard or Sawyer glacier is anything but boring.

Ketchikan in the autumn with the salmon trying to get upstream to spawn is a sight to be seem.

Juneau is the state capital and the most commercial of the ports but still has less diamond stores than most Caribbean ports.

ALASKA BORING!!!! NOT!!!

Dennis

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm certainly not trying to ruffle feathers here ☺️  It was an article posted in a travel blog; so I am "fishing" for alternatives to expensive excursions from "people in the know"........thank you

Itinerary: 

7/31  Ketchikan,  8/2 Juneau,  8/5 Anchorage,  8/6 Homer,  8/7  Kodiak,  8/9  Sitka,  8/11 Victoria  (think I will be buying tickets for Butchart Gardens online and hiring a cab from pier)

1 hour ago, partijo said:

7/31  Ketchikan,  8/2 Juneau,  8/5 Anchorage,  8/6 Homer,  8/7  Kodiak,  8/9  Sitka,  8/11 Victoria  (think I will be buying tickets for Butchart Gardens online and hiring a cab from pier)

Just so you know, a cab one way to the Gardens will be at least $60.00, easily more in heavy traffic. It's a long way from where the ship docks. If you are interested in a more economical way, you could rent a car or take a tour (ship's tour or otherwise). There is LOTS of information on Butchart Gardens on the other boards (Canada x 2, and West Coast Departures). 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, partijo said:

8/5 Anchorage: I'd rent a car. Either head south along the Turnagain Arm or north to the Matanuska Glacier with a detour up into Hatcher Pass.

8/7  Kodiak: Again, rent a car. Head out Pasagshak Road to Black Sand Beach.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, partijo said:

I am "fishing" for alternatives to expensive excursions from "people in the know"

I missed the "spendy" reference in your original post so it helps to see your original question reframed, thanks!

This Cruise Critic article may be a good starting point, posting in case you haven't already read it, Alaska on a Budget: Cheap and Free Things to Do in Port.

Additional Cruise Critic articles are also on the Alaska Cruises page, scroll down about half way to the "Popular Alaska Content" section.

We'll be in Kethikan a day before you on 7/30, I'm planning to hike the Deer Mountain Trail (we'll take a cab to the trail head) to the second overlook.  Trip Advisor has reviews from hikers.  I'll also spend some time downtown.

Juneau we are renting a car, we'll be there 7/31.  There isn't enough time for us to see everything on my list!  Would like to take the Mount Roberts Tramway but that may have to wait until "next time"...

We aren't going to any of the other ports on your itinerary though I wish we were!  Again, "next time"...

• Thanks 1

Victoria is the port where we've stayed on the ship, but that was on round-trip cruises from Seattle, where they only stop because they have to have at least one foreign port and don't give you much time. We spent two nights there a couple of years before our first Alaskan cruise, so there wasn't a need to rush to see what we'd already seen.

• Thanks 1

I think you may be on our cruise. Our roll call members have offered several interesting choices at the ports, most are free. If you walk past the tourist shops there are museums, cemeteries, breweries, shows and many other things that are worth at least checking out. 

• Thanks 1

I guess we went the opposite route, we did exactly what we wanted to do, knowing it would most likely be the only time we'd go to Alaska. I think I'm confused on why you say you'd like to not leave the ship though?! Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to ask? Yes, it's expensive. But are you planning to go again? Or are you going, not doing the things you want, and then regret it?

• Thanks 1

This may be our one and only Alaskan cruise, who knows what the future holds.  So yes, I would like to do as much as possible, but I would also like to steer clear of things that others have not enjoyed (and why).

There will be port destination talks in the showroom the day or days before each port . Watch for the times in your daily program.  Stay away from the jewelry shops and don’t go to the shopping promotional talks.  Probably be best to ask what people enjoyed in each port and there are a lot of trip reports at the top of this forum.  

I just can't imagine not wanting to leave the ship in any port any where. Alaska is the most beautiful state. We will be going on our fourth cruise to Alaska in Sept.   Sitka-- we went to the bear sanctuary 

Victoria-- harbor cruise

high tea on the grounds at Point Ellice House

Butchart Gardens- take the public bus.. maybe two blocks from the port

Anchorage- Portage Glacier Up close and Personal. they fish some of the floating ice out                                                                                            and let you touch it. 

Kodiak has a great craft fair on days a ship is in port with all kind of things made in Alaska                                                   and if you have to there is a WM  with loads   of cheap souvenirs.

Homer take the HOHO bus. Go to the Islands and Oceans Visitors Center,,, its free , Great.   Go to                                                           Two Sisters Bakery YUM 

If you go to Icy Straits Point  .. Go on a bear hunt  so much fun..  I hope this gives you some ideas ..                        

We found Ketchikan to be the most like the Caribbean with souvenir shops all over but there are NO ports I would stay on the ship for - there is always something interesting to see that is free/won't cost much.  Even Ketchikan.   And excursions in Alaskan ports tend to be a little pricey because the tourist season is so short and resources cost more 

• Like 1

Ketchikan to me the most touristy, followed by Juneau. What would you want to do there? I think it's important to remember that you are a tourist... 

The least touristy part of Alaska that I have been to actually seemed to be Anchorage. 

On 7/8/2019 at 12:37 PM, partijo said:

I have read, SOMEWHERE, about the port of calls in Alaska that are boring or too tourist-oriented (same stores, diff port).  We are cruising July 29, 2019 for 14 days and would like to not leave ship if unnecessary.  The excursions are VERY spendy.😎 Thank you

Read more than just one article.  We loved Alaska and would hopefully get to go again.  If you have some time here is the blog my husband did about our trip here on CC. Hope you decide to go.

@partijo  As lindaler already posted, if you don't want to join our roll call, you might at least want to peruse it for ideas.  Several of us have done this 14 night itinerary several times, and almost everyone has been to Alaska more than once (cruise #6 for us).  And while there might be some tours that are better than others which can be the case anywhere in the world one travels, there is nowhere in Alaska I would ever hesitate to recommend.

Good luck planning!  

Link to roll call:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2554173-july-29-2019-14-day-alaska-roundtrip-seattle/