Favorite/Can't live without cruise accessory

Tree_skier

15 minutes ago, peanutter said:

Brilliant idea. I'm adding it to my packing list right now.

I liked the idea above of using a plastic zipping bag cause you can see everything in it.  But both sound good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mom says said:

The only thing I can think of that is unique to our cruises, as opposed to land travel, are the magnetic hooks and the string for fashioning a laundry line.

Great idea. I take hooks but never thought about connecting them with a line. 

Well, not one thing, but a pair - my iPod and my Bose noise-cancelling headphones.  Wear them when I'm sitting in sun by the pool, sitting on my balcony, if I'm taking a train from one place to another, to drown out boring people... Me, my own little world, and Andrea Bocelli - the BEST!!!

44 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

my Bose noise-cancelling headphones.

I got Sony ones for $100 less at Costco and think they're just as good.  But I'd only had one experience with the Bose.  But regardless they are quite wonderful, aren't they?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pris993 said:

For 30 + years, our formal clothes... 

Do you only go on ships that have formal nights?  We're going to hold on to Bob's tuxedo just a bit longer.

Would say yes.  We have cruised Princess, HAL, Cunard, Celebrity, Crystal and NCL in recent years... a few other years ago.

NCL is the only one we have been in last few years where formal wear was less valued.  We still dressed up as we pleased.  We always do a table for two anyway.  On NCL, we were not impressed with the formal dining room meals, so we passed, had a late lunch and then rested and dressed up later to go out and enjoy the entertainment on board.  We were in the Middle East... so big time change so passing on dinner worked for us easily.   

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

In this digital age, I hope no one laughs---at least too loud!

I must have my journal.  I don't blog (once did but connection issues aboard ships and the cost stopped that).  I keep a daily journal of my trips.  It helps with remembering where I was or why I did take a photo since the photos have date stamps on them.  It helps me relive my trips.  And, the journals are good reference books if someone asks a question on CC or wherever that I may be able to answer and provide my experience if my precise memory is foggy at the time.

You know, I've been to a lot of the places folks ask about here on cruise critic, but can't respond because I can't remember the details.  Same with photos.  Look at them and have to ask Mrs Ldubs where they were taken.  She can always tell from the date.   Anyway, I think I would benefit from a journal, (paper or electronic).  I would also guess the daily recap would be kind of like a diary.  I dont' do those either but understand how it would be enjoyable.     

10 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

A shower curtain and magnetic hooks to hang the curtain between the closet area and the rest of the cabin. It makes a great changing area where I can get dressed when our 20-yr old son is cruising with us, without me having to confine myself to the hot, steamy bathroom or DS having to leave the cabin. 

Great idea if you are travelling with kids. The last time we did that was when our youngest was 16 or 17.  A curtain would have been very welcome.

BTW, it was a short 5 day cruise and never, ever again did we share a cabin with the kids. Mommy and Daddy missed their............ err.............um............. quiet ........... alone..............reading time. That's it, reading time!

And reading is essential to mental and physical health and should never be missed while on a cruise!

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

honestly?   my water shoes.   I Loathe flip flops.  can't walk in them to save my life. but putting sandals or sneakers on to wander down to the Solarium is overkill.  they protect my footsies from the hot deck, are considered adequate to enter the buffet for a quick lunch and are non skid for the wet bits.  

12 hours ago, clo said:

I liked the idea above of using a plastic zipping bag cause you can see everything in it.  But both sound good.

I didn't mention that we use more than one of these in the safe.

One is for any jewelry/small items (though we bring minimal jewelry when we are on cruises, for some land travel, we may be more festive), and at least a second one for Passports and money. (If we have more than one currency, then we just have an envelope of each, but still keep it all in a ziplock.

Basically, we just don't put "little things" into the safe, which tends to be dim, and also often not in an easy place to "see into".

GC

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I just need my ironic and sarcastic sense of humour. Us Brits travel light.

That made me laugh out loud! Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning!!

One thing I do as an over-planner, is to look at our excursions and figure out how much I plan to tip, assuming it's a good experience, and get envelopes for them.  I write on each envelope what the tour is, or who the person I'm tipping is, then put the money in the envelope. I put all my envelopes together in a ziploc and keep them in the safe.  When the time comes for a certain excursion, I just grab the envelope and I don't have to think about how much extra money I need to bring or if I have the right denomination of bills. It's all done already!  I know alot of people will think this is a little overboard, but it works for me!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, clo said:

I got Sony ones for $100 less at Costco and think they're just as good.  But I'd only had one experience with the Bose.  But regardless they are quite wonderful, aren't they?

I love mine.  My newest pair are courtesy of a guest who apparently decided they could afford to buy another pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 35s.  Left at the hotel and they were put into Lost & Found.  I put my name on them - after 90 days of no one calling for them, they were mine.   I have had my "tethered" Bose since 2009, and had been jealous of those who had Bluetooth headphones - especially when in an airplane and have to get out of the row...

Yes, I take my passport - that one was a given.  Really, other than that absolutely required document, I could get anything I wanted/needed as I go along...

• Like 1

I have found (accidently) that I can live without a lot of things on the ship and still have an over-the-top vacation.  But, I do love my hacks and conveniences.

One is my electronic tablet.  Before leaving home, I download apps, music, copies of documents, and books so that on the ship I can read, listen to my play list, fill the cabin with white noise, display a clock (easily seen across the cabin day and night), set an alarm (or two, or three), etc.

Before bed, I can download photos and videos for the day and type out my thoughts and experiences.

• Like 1