2 adults, 2 kids

MtnClimber1101

I booked two cabins on the Royal Princess.  My wife/granddaughter/myself in one.  My son/his wife/grandson in the other.  

But now the granddaughter wants to stay with mom, dad and brother, which would put 4 in their cabin (BE category).

I talked to my cruise planner, and she said she couldn't change the booking, as the cabin only accommodates three passengers.

Can I wait until I board and ask the room steward to put her into the room, or is there nothing I can do?

5 minutes ago, MtnClimber1101 said:

I booked two cabins on the Royal Princess.  My wife/granddaughter/myself in one.  My son/his wife/grandson in the other.  

But now the granddaughter wants to stay with mom, dad and brother, which would put 4 in their cabin (BE category).

I talked to my cruise planner, and she said she couldn't change the booking, as the cabin only accommodates three passengers.

Can I wait until I board and ask the room steward to put her into the room, or is there nothing I can do?

How old is she and where would she sleep if there is only berths for 3?

The deck plans will show if it is a 3 or 4 berth cabin.

If there is an extra berth then just ask Stewart after boarding.

Are the cabins next to each other?

1 minute ago, MtnClimber1101 said:

Grandson is 9.  She is 12.  The icruise site states room accomadates 3 passengers.  But I thought it was possible to sleep 4, although that would be crowded.  

If it only sleeps 3 then they will not allow it.

Check the Princess site and click on the box that says 3rd and 4th and it will show all the cabins on your deck that sleep 3 and 4.

2 minutes ago, ggprincess2004 said:

Vaguely remembering what it is like to be a 12 year old girl, and with the staterooms accommodating only 3 people each, I might suggest the ladies in one stateroom and the gentlemen in the other. 

A good idea that had escaped my thought process.  I assume we can do that even though that isn't how our bookings are planned?

Edited by MtnClimber1101

Yes, as long as one of the original people on the booking remains in the cabin, you are fine. So choose who is going to switch, etc., and have the TA take care of it, or take care of it once you board. With the Medallion Class stuff, it is probably better to do it sooner rather than later. 

Of course one obvious option is to swap the two kids.  There are definitely some Balcony cabins designated only for three, so probably do not have two uppers in the ceiling. 

OP did not mention the cruise date - it is always a chance a 4 person cabin would open in same category (not many multi-bed BE's though) and could switch.  

I don't know how soon you are sailing, but you could keep an eye on available quad balcony cabins and quad minisuites and if one opens up next to a double or triple balcony cabin (or a regular minisuite) for you and your wife you could switch to those. Might be nice to have your own cabin and they would be next door. 

11 hours ago, MtnClimber1101 said:

Grandson is 9.  She is 12.  The icruise site states room accomadates 3 passengers.  But I thought it was possible to sleep 4, although that would be crowded.  

where would #4 sleep? On the floor? If it has 3 sleeping places, that's it.

We were in a deluxe balcony on Deck 8, and it only had 3 sleeping places - 2 beds and a single rollout sofa. 2 kids will not fit on that sofa.

If it's a mini-suite, the sofa is a double, I believe, but would a 9 yo and a 12 yo of different genders want to sleep on the same bed?

Once onboard, you can swap people around without any problem. Just go to the Passenger Services Desk. 

If a cabin sleeps three, that means there are just three beds. They can put a cot in the cabin but it’ll be small, you’ll have literally no space and it’ll be very cramped. Not recommended. 

1 hour ago, richmke said:

At the  Passenger Services Desk, they should be able to program all your cards/medallions to open both cabins. Then you can swap people at will.

32 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

Once onboard, you can swap people around without any problem. Just go to the Passenger Services Desk

12 hours ago, steelers36 said:

There are definitely some Balcony cabins designated only for three

13 hours ago, MtnClimber1101 said:

site states room accomadates 3 passengers. 

we just did a cruise on royal in april.  We had an inside for two and we booked a balcony across the hall for our son/dil/2 grandkids.  the two extra beds came out of the ceiling over the two twin beds.  When the beds are lowered the room was VERY tight and you had to watch your head when laying in the lower beds.  Next time, we will get two rooms with sleeping for three in each room.

1 hour ago, Pam in CA said:

Once onboard, you can swap people around without any problem. Just go to the Passenger Services Desk. 

If a cabin sleeps three, that means there are just three beds. They can put a cot in the cabin but it’ll be small, you’ll have literally no space and it’ll be very cramped. Not recommended. 

Yes passengers can switch cabins once onboard but like I said if there is an issue with the number of berths in the cabin then it may not be possible.

Roll aways are set up pre cruise and roll aways are only used in certain cabins.

There are also a limited number of them.

You can't add a fourth person to a cabin designated for three. It's against fire code and set for capacity limits (in lifeboats, etc.). There are balcony cabins that have one bunk and a rollaway bed for the fourth person but they are already quad cabins. 

• Like 1