Sale has lasted 18 days, is this the norm?

Jasonmom

So we booked 18 days ago.  At that time the sale was supposed to end the next day. It is now been the same price with the same perks (incl. free 3rd person and free/reduced air) for 18 days.  Is this how NCL does.  I will say it got me to go ahead and book so nice sales tactic. 

The free at sea is available 99.9% of the time. The "usual" is one perk for studio or inside, two for ocean view balcony or mini suite, and all perks for Haven (and I think suites too). The take all for balcony is not unheard of, but not the base offering unless NCL is changing things up. The 3rd & 4th guest free as a perk isn't on every sailing and sometimes doesn't stay on a sailing. 

In the past I've seen the internet/shore excursion switch out for other offers for a short time, but haven't seen that in a while. And I haven't seen a distinctive voyage for a while, but could have missed them. 

The free/reduced airfare is relatively new but has been consistent for the last half a year or so. But I've seen posts from people saying the price dropped, but they aren't offering the free airfare anymore so if they take the price drop they lose the airfare. 

So the countdowns are pretty meaningless if the perks are the usual. If they are more than that it could be a real countdown for that combo, or they could extend it. 

Edited by smplybcause

3 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

So we booked 18 days ago.  At that time the sale was supposed to end the next day. It is now been the same price with the same perks (incl. free 3rd person and free/reduced air) for 18 days.  Is this how NCL does.  I will say it got me to go ahead and book so nice sales tactic. 

yes, the free at sea perks tend to constantly "renew".  The good thing about booking early is that you can re-book if something better comes along before final payment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

the promos have been running for several years. The Take All is usually for a short period now-and-then, but has been running for several months. 

4 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

It's the same as Royal's BOGO something percent off that is never really a percent off anything and is always up and running. 

It is the same ole snake oil and shell game played on a Ouija board with supplement answers on a Magic *8* ball.

Prices raised NCL offers more (not really) free stuff

Prices lower NCL puts stuff back into the hat

And remember that stuff - free or otherwise there is always those FEES and GRATUITIES !

Amazing NCL conjured up free money OBC out of those increased fares.

Nothing wrong here with NCL salesmanship just be aware of what you actually are getting for your money !

The programs packages free stuff - it comes and it goes - something in constant flux - whatever the buyer

and the market will be enticed into paying. 

51 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

It is the same ole snake oil and shell game played on a Ouija board with supplement answers on a Magic *8* ball.

Prices raised NCL offers more (not really) free stuff

Prices lower NCL puts stuff back into the hat

And remember that stuff - free or otherwise there is always those FEES and GRATUITIES !

Amazing NCL conjured up free money OBC out of those increased fares.

Nothing wrong here with NCL salesmanship just be aware of what you actually are getting for your money !

The programs packages free stuff - it comes and it goes - something in constant flux - whatever the buyer

and the market will be enticed into paying. 

Mostly sound, but significant OBC has been gone for some time, at least directly from NCL.  In it's place they have put the airfare that might be of some benefit.   However, for those that it is a benefit they are hooked with the original fare when the fare drops or else buy the air as mentioned in this thread.

I’m booked with the Take All, but I’m watching it and hoping for something a little different. There are a lot of things that are of no value to me, such as the shore excursion credit, the air credit, and the 3rd/4th passengers free. I’d like to at least see what my fare would be if I only picked two perks!

I booked the Escape for October 2 weeks ago. When I went to the NCL website just to price a cruise, I saw the Free at Sea promo was expiring in 3 hours. Panicked that I was going to miss it, I immediately booked the cruise. Of course, the next day, I see the promo is still there. And then a few days later....still there. And then a week later....still there.

1 hour ago, ThxMomnDad said:

I booked the Escape for October 2 weeks ago. When I went to the NCL website just to price a cruise, I saw the Free at Sea promo was expiring in 3 hours. Panicked that I was going to miss it, I immediately booked the cruise. Of course, the next day, I see the promo is still there. And then a few days later....still there. And then a week later....still there.

Sounds like you are in a similar boat to me (pun intended).  It was the next day that I was able to book, but I was looking for a cruise to go on.  Think I might have looked longer if I would have known I had more time.  But I will say I am happy with my cruise (in 76 days) and probably would have booked the same one if I would have looked for a week.  Will be first time cruising with Perks.  Every time before has been just me and Mom (and sometimes my kid) so Perks didn't really matter.  This time my brother is going also so the UDP makes a big difference. 

14 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

Sounds like you are in a similar boat to me (pun intended).  It was the next day that I was able to book, but I was looking for a cruise to go on.  Think I might have looked longer if I would have known I had more time.  But I will say I am happy with my cruise (in 76 days) and probably would have booked the same one if I would have looked for a week.  Will be first time cruising with Perks.  Every time before has been just me and Mom (and sometimes my kid) so Perks didn't really matter.  This time my brother is going also so the UDP makes a big difference. 

Yeah, normally I would have spent days and days researching the different cruises and cruise lines, but thinking that I was mere hours away from losing out on the UDP, 3 specialty restaurants, wifi, etc, it kind of forced my hand to move quickly. Like you though, I'm now happy with what I've booked and can't wait. 100 days to go for me!

Agreed, the expiring deal countdown made me book earlier than I would as I typically like to do extensive research. I'm >120 days out and noticed the category I booked is about $400 cheaper. Can I call my TA and rebook at the reduced rate since I'm so far out?

Agreed, the expiring deal countdown made me book earlier than I would as I typically like to do extensive research. I'm >120 days out and noticed the category I booked is about $400 cheaper. Can I call my TA and rebook at the reduced rate since I'm so far out?
Yes[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

On 7/13/2019 at 3:36 PM, Jasonmom said:

not at all unusual... it is like the mattress sales around here>. They will advertise July 4th sales from mid June until Aug 1st and then the same sale as Labor day sale until about the middle or end of Sept. Welcome to the world of advertising...

Keep throwing out the bread crumbs - see if it continues to get more bites.

It is working don't change a thing or lets just tweak this a bit - givem a token more of what works.

Summer is prime cruise season - autumn takes a dip and winters market is the Caribbean - Gulf/Panama Canal -

Mediterranean - southern hemisphere cruises.

Come Spring and it is TransAtlantics and repositioning another slow period.

Sales to shore up slack season markets - a ship sitting idly in port or sailing empty doesn't make money !

1 hour ago, Jasonmom said:

Sale, "perks", 27 days and going strong.

Well in "real" sales news, they did put out the 20% off for latitudes members this month on select 2020 sailings - and it was a real 20% off, not a "we raised the prices first then lowered them for the sale" sale. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 4:36 PM, Jasonmom said:

We booked the get 5 promo when I was 41 years old... I’ll be turning 44 soon and it’s the same promo !!! 

Kinda like how my pillow is buy 1 get 1 free for the never ending sale!!!

The only ones they have not had in a while is the no port taxes and prepaid gratuities.  Those probably affect the bottom dollar price so I can see why they don't bring those into rotation, but the free or reduced air worked out for me this time.

cheapest I could get the flights for 9 people was $2700, total increase in cruise price $900...Although have to do the gateway city,(ORD) but even with hotel and one way rental car, I am still ahead over 2k.

The best sale I have had about two years ago, no taxes, port excursions and free wifi.  Yeah, the last two no biggie, but I am a book with the cruise line kind of person, and the free wifi actually has a value to upgrade to the social package for a few bucks.  It was the no port taxes that brought the price down to $699pp for a balcony.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ColeThornton said:

It's just marketing what's working for them.   Are you really counting the days?   🙂

I was just going through old posts I started and saw this one.  So I counted up from there.  Although it is amazing to me that I only booked 47 days ago.  Seems longer than that, but only 49 days to go.

2 days 8 hours and 8 minutes remaining!!!   Hurry, hurry, hurry!!!  What really is had is when someone books to beat the artificial deadline and the second that sale ends, it's replaced with something even better.  Happened to me on another line and of course was for new bookings only.

The 20% off sale is a mixed bag.  I booked two cruises right when it started - one has sold out in my category and lower categories are now going for more than I paid; the other one I booked my category is up about 11% from when I booked it.  Both were booked I think mid-July (can’t remember when I got the email, but both cruises were booked 24-48 hrs later! And it was before word spread on CC).

There are lots and lots of reports of people who booked at a higher price rebooking with the 20% off and getting fat refunds, so I have to think it is legit...just be sure to scrutinize prices closely before assuming that it’s a great deal.  

As for the “Free at sea”....it’s been going on for years, with slight variations!  At this point it’s reallly the norm.  The free/cheaper air was added about a year ago, but does some of us no good (my hubby can only fly business because he’s semi-claustrophobic); the rest of the freebies (plus the auto-gratuities) have been around forever.