Documents to get back onto the ship

I searched the forum but didnt find what i was looking for.

Have cruised RCCL many times but I'm totally drawing a blank on this one.

When getting off the ship in Cozumel and Costa Maya - do we need our passport to get back on board or does our seapass do the trick? 

Thanks!

Seapass for the ship.  Not sure about Costa Maya but in Cozumel you will also need a picture ID that matches the seapass to get onto the dock.  This is true in many larger ports.  You CAN use a passport, but most people use their drivers license.

Just now, LeeW said:

Seapass for the ship.  Not sure about Costa Maya but in Cozumel you will also need a picture ID that matches the seapass to get onto the dock.  This is true in many larger ports.  You CAN use a passport, but most people use their drivers license.

And I assume for minors - a birth certificate works? (if they dont have a passport)

6 minutes ago, JJPP1975 said:

I searched the forum but didnt find what i was looking for.

Have cruised RCCL many times but I'm totally drawing a blank on this one.

When getting off the ship in Cozumel and Costa Maya - do we need our passport to get back on board or does our seapass do the trick? 

Thanks!

Government issued ID such as driver's license and sea pass card is all you need. 

Sea pass card = Ship ID, you picture is embedded in chip, and when scanned, it pulls up.  You need this for the ship.

Passport = This is needed to "enter" a country.  So, you need it to "enter" Mexico ports.  However, these ports do not require you to have a passport to enter.  Many other ports that RCCL travels to, will require a passport to "enter" the country.  However, you need proper ID to "enter" the USA so the passport is the easiest but on closed loop cruises you may only need a BC.

BC = only good to "enter" the US on a closed loop cruise.  Any other port this is just a piece of scrap paper.

Picture ID = Many ports require you to have a picture ID.  This can be any government ID, such as your DL, or passport, or passport card.  The port authority is confirming that you did not "find" the card on the beach, and are trying to break into the ship.

Kids which is defined as under 18, can not get off the ship, without the authorized guardian.  If 16 or older, they should have a picture ID, however, if they are with the adult, the port authority should have no issues.  Remember, the BC is just scrap paper outside the US

• Like 1

I use my passport card and sea pass card.  The port Authority indeed wants to see a photo ID.   BC does not have photo.  

We have witnessed many that were pulled out of line in Cozumel when they only had their sea pass card.  Cozumel is very strict about the photo ID.  

7 hours ago, island lady said:

I use my passport card and sea pass card.  The port Authority indeed wants to see a photo ID.   BC does not have photo.  

We have witnessed many that were pulled out of line in Cozumel when they only had their sea pass card.  Cozumel is very strict about the photo ID.  

Is this something new or what? Have been to Coz MANY times on RCL and have never been asked for anything other than our seapass card. No big deal, just something I've personally never seen (strict photo ID). 

TIA

12 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Passport = This is needed to "enter" a country.  So, you need it to "enter" Mexico ports.  However, these ports do not require you to have a passport to enter.  Many other ports that RCCL travels to, will require a passport to "enter" the country.  However, you need proper ID to "enter" the USA so the passport is the easiest but on closed loop cruises you may only need a BC.

No, it is not.  You "enter" the country when the ship sails into their territorial waters. 

There are different rules for cruise passengers.  You do NOT need a passport for most any cruise destination in the Gulf/Caribbean area.

Edited by SRF
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lovetotravel06 said:

Is this something new or what? Have been to Coz MANY times on RCL and have never been asked for anything other than our seapass card. No big deal, just something I've personally never seen (strict photo ID). 

TIA

My experience in Cozumel is about 50/50. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lovetotravel06 said:

TIA

A lot likely depends on when you return to the ship. If you head back early you'll likely be asked for the photo ID, if you head back just before sail away when hundreds of others are also heading back they might not ask for it for expediency's sake.

5 hours ago, SRF said:

No, it is not.  You "enter" the country when the ship sails into their territorial waters. 

There are different rules for cruise passengers.  You do NOT need a passport for most any cruise destination in the Gulf/Caribbean area.

I don't understand your response to my summary?  I never said you needed a passport in the Caribbean, except to reenter the USA and I also pointed out that a BC is also acceptable.  Plus I said specifically that you don't need it on closed loop cruises.  News agencies do the same thing.  They take a small snippet to change the meaning out of context.  Also, you may "enter" once it crosses the line, but to get off a ship or off a plane it is the spot of landing or docking where the passport is checked.  The country would hold you if you do not have the right documents until the period of time they cans send you back.  But again, that's not what the summary was about? RCCL travels around the world, not just the Caribbean and passport rules can change any time.  So, no place in my comment did I say you NEEDED a passport for the Caribbean but any passenger needs to verify before they go.

18 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

...Passport = This is needed to "enter" a country.  So, you need it to "enter" Mexico ports.  However, these ports do not require you to have a passport to enter.  Many other ports that RCCL travels to, will require a passport to "enter" the country.  However, you need proper ID to "enter" the USA so the passport is the easiest but on closed loop cruises you may only need a BC....

>“you need it to "enter" Mexico ports.  However, these ports do not require you to have a passport to enter.“ 

—That certainly clears things up😳

>“but on closed loop cruises you may only need a BC.

—An Official Birth Certificate ONLY is NOT sufficient proper ID for adults on a closed loop cruise; one also needs a government issued photo ID. 

19 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Passport = This is needed to "enter" a country.  So, you need it to "enter" Mexico ports.  However, these ports do not require you to have a passport to enter. 

Too funny :classic_tongue:

OP - Take picture ID of your choice - Drivers License, Passport, Passport Card etc.

Edited by bouhunter

11 hours ago, lovetotravel06 said:

TIA

Have witnessed it almost each time during the last couple of years.....pay attention to pax up ahead of you in line who look confused while talking to agent at door...they are directed to the guest services desk.  When I first saw it, I asked the person checking ID's and sea pass cards.  Was confirmed that they were refused due to no picture ID.  

But hey...what do I know.   I am "just a newbie".  😉 

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

A lot likely depends on when you return to the ship. If you head back early you'll likely be asked for the photo ID, if you head back just before sail away when hundreds of others are also heading back they might not ask for it for expediency's sake.

That's make sense.  We always go back to the ship early to avoid those long lines just before sail away.  

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

I don't understand your response to my summary?  I never said you needed a passport in the Caribbean, except to reenter the USA and I also pointed out that a BC is also acceptable.  Plus I said specifically that you don't need it on closed loop cruises.  News agencies do the same thing.  They take a small snippet to change the meaning out of context.  Also, you may "enter" once it crosses the line, but to get off a ship or off a plane it is the spot of landing or docking where the passport is checked.  The country would hold you if you do not have the right documents until the period of time they cans send you back.  But again, that's not what the summary was about? RCCL travels around the world, not just the Caribbean and passport rules can change any time.  So, no place in my comment did I say you NEEDED a passport for the Caribbean but any passenger needs to verify before they go.

1 hour ago, TravelerThom said:

>you need it to "enter" Mexico ports.  However, these ports do not require you to have a passport to enter.“ 

—That certainly clears things up😳

Maybe go back and read what you wrote.

You NEED a government issued photo ID and your ship card.  However, should some weird thing happen and you find yourself stranded in Mexico (like, you miss the ship....don't laugh, it happens.  I've seen it), then you will need your passport at the airport to get out of Mexico.  I never leave the ship without my passport, a credit card, and my ship card.