Carnival to spend $80m

RRLLAL

2 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

Why even comment? 

I am sorry - no critics allowed?? 

Sorry for pointing out something pretty obvious. 80 million is not much money for this project. Would love them to spend more and make real changes on the island like  better infrastructure and more family friendly amenities. It’s very much like carnival to put half of what is needed in and then advertise it like it’s reinventing the wheel - and many people here go along with it like you are paid. 

Why comment - I ask you the same?? 

32 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

While I agree (esp on the cococay part), one of the fears I have is that they could do 2 ships a day and add the really large ships.  That beautiful beach would be overrun.....

There is a long stretch of beach between cabana # 15 and the Pegasus Ranch. Plenty of room for more cabanas and villas. :classic_cool:  Would also like it if they built a large Pool with a swim up bar. 😑

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

I am sorry - no critics allowed?? 

Sorry for pointing out something pretty obvious. 80 million is not much money for this project. Would love them to spend more and make real changes on the island like  better infrastructure and more family friendly amenities. It’s very much like carnival to put half of what is needed in and then advertise it like it’s reinventing the wheel - and many people here go along with it like you are paid. 

Why comment - I ask you the same?? 

Im the one that started the thread and the only thing KNOWN is a new pier which as you see here and other social media sites a pier is a GOOD thing. Other than that we don’t know what else will be done. So why whine?

Edited by RRLLAL
  • Thanks 1

Building the pier is a necessary and seems to a be a requirement. as ships get bigger bigger and bigger with more passenger capacity, tendering logistics is impossible.  huge mega ships can not tender like what the smaller ships do 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, boomhower said:

This is certainly good news.  Now if they will also take a very small portion of that money for a tech upgrade to enable cheers on the island would be great as well.

Technology is not the issue, it’s about maximizing profits. 

23 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Which is something for-profit companies tend to concentrate on.

I don't fault them for wanting to expand HMC (if that is even what they're going to do). They obviously see the success of Castaway Cay. And then RCI joined in on the private island hoopla. They can't please everyone, but this will give more people more things to do there.

6 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Facetious with an ounce of criticism. I feel that carnival misses is missing their mark in their refurbs and new ships. I love cruising carnival but I think they could improve in what they are doing. Forgive me if I feel they will miss on this one also. 

But we can wait and see and then criticize after...

I agree in that I don't care for the direction they go with their refitted ships. They put too much emphasis on increasing the number of cabins (i.e. number of people) on ships that weren't designed for such capacities. The end result is often less person to open space ratio and a feeling of overcrowding. Then there's the newer, much larger ships that also get more cabins instead of increasing the size of the most used common areas. And in the case of things like the main theater & comedy club, their size is even decreased. I get it, the people in the cabins are the bread & butter, but comfort while in public spaces is also very important. But I don't relate those things directly to a port expansion. I think they're two different beasts. I think they did a nice job with Amber Cove and I'm curious to see what happens with Freeport, and now HMC.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

True, but some people won't buy cheers because of port days. If people could use it on the island, more people might buy cheers. Nonetheless, I'm sure Carnival had already done sensitivity analysis on all these scenarios to what makes the most money.

52 minutes ago, kollarism said:

True, but some people won't buy cheers because of port days. If people could use it on the island, more people might buy cheers. Nonetheless, I'm sure Carnival had already done sensitivity analysis on all these scenarios to what makes the most money.

Is there precedent for this? Do any other cruise lines allow their drink packages to be used off the ship?

I like that Carnival is investing more and trying to provide more for their customers.  If I don't like a change to an itinerary or a cruise ship, then I don't book that cruise.  I'm sure there are plenty of others that love these changes.... and plenty that do not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

We should all criticize the cruise lines especially if we are passionate about them as they should strive to overachieve and not just get by. Look at Disney - they have set the standard for vacation and attitude. They have an institute that major corporations train their employees on service and costumer service. If you are paying for vacation and Carnival is offering it to you and WANTS every customer it can get, they can handle my criticism. 

I am looking forward to my next carnival cruise on their “NEW” ship - the Sunrise this month. But as a paying customer I may say something negative if I don’t like something - that’s my prerogative.

I've said it many times around here...I think posting the negatives are just as valuable as the positives. There are a couple people who will only ever say positive things about Carnival and will defend every decision they make, even when a majority of others think it's legitimately bad. I think people like that do a huge disservice to anyone who's trying to research cruises, especially new cruisers. If everything is sugar-coated, it's bound to lead to someone being unpleasantly surprised when they experience it for themselves. So I value the negatives, too. We all see things differently and something someone sees as a positive or negative isn't always going to apply to everyone else. If people say the Sunrise stinks, which many have, I'll read what they have to say and collect as much information as I can. But the decision to sail on a particular ship or not will be mine and my family's. I'd rather experience it for myself. I might be disappointed in the end, but I'll learn from it and move on.

Now, with that said, I'll be perfectly honest with you. And I've already mentioned this in another reply. It's not the fact that you criticize Carnival or speak negatively. It was HOW you were criticizing them that I don't agree with. The exaggerations that I mentioned before. But enough about that, now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

I think it's great that they are building a pier.  That is so much better than tendering and it will be a huge time saver for people.  It would also be nice if they built a large pool.  That would probably help redistribute people who go to the beach, but would prefer a pool.

• Like 1

Hopefully the only thing they are adding is the pier.  More cabanas and villas further down the beach wouldn't be bad either.  HMC is the most perfect beach we have been to and we hope to visit there again soon.

• Like 1

Oh look. fighting and complaining. Who would have thought?

I am VERY excited for this. The tender process sucks, especially going back (which FTTF is worthless for). This just gives me more time to enjoy this beautiful island, and less chance of missing it due to wind.

For those saying Carnival is going to ruin the island, how? Unless they're digging up the beach to put in a TJ Maxx, what is the problem? Will your vacation be ruined if something gets added in a spot you don't go to? The island changed from what it used to be, before you ever went. It will change again in the future. It gets old when we expect the state you recalled to be the right state.

If I had to guess, this is in line with future plans to outfit the island to handle multiple ships. I think that is inevitable.

• Like 1

Part of the mystique of HMC  was that it reminded us of when we had a bbq lunch back on an isolated, uninhabited South Pacific isle, it is that beautiful and charming.  Once it begins to look like Amber Cove or NCL's Harvest Key, that charm is gone.

It is perhaps the only port where the beach is the major attraction.  One can go to any of the chain tchotckes vendors at any other port, please don't corrupt HMC this way.

I don't mind tendering, but if putting in a pier doesn't destroy any coral reefs or cause other environmental damage, then it'll be easier access on & off the ship.  Hopefully, Carnival won't be misleading us as to a dock's impact!

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 6:19 PM, RRLLAL said:

On Half Moon Cay. Building a dock to eliminate tenders to shore. Also unknown (right now) updates and additions to the island itself. Timing not announced yet. 

Sounds like a great idea, the sooner the better!

Disney and now RCL have added docks, so lets get it started Carnival!

• Like 1