Crafting needles allowed?

ALW2

Hi! I am planning to do punch needle embroidery while on my next cruise. Are embroidery and punch needles allowed on the ship? Has anyone had crafting or knitting needles confiscated in the past? Thanks!

2 hours ago, ALW2 said:

Hi! I am planning to do punch needle embroidery while on my next cruise. Are embroidery and punch needles allowed on the ship? Has anyone had crafting or knitting needles confiscated in the past? Thanks!

I see people using these onboard all the time.

No problems. I do needlepoint and I have had airports outside the US question my scissors,  a round nose chilren's crayola scissors,  so I put in my checked luggage and take a small nail clipper in my carry on for my needlepoint. 

My sister-in-law had knitting needles confiscated for the entire cruise upon boarding.  However, that same day, we saw 4 other ladies knitting with the same knitting needles.  She tried to retrieve by showing other had them, they gave them back to her on the day before the cruise ended.  She was not a happy camper.  They were in her checked luggage.  This was on Navigator of the Seas.

2 hours ago, ladytaekwondo said:

My sister-in-law had knitting needles confiscated for the entire cruise upon boarding.  However, that same day, we saw 4 other ladies knitting with the same knitting needles.  She tried to retrieve by showing other had them, they gave them back to her on the day before the cruise ended.  She was not a happy camper.  They were in her checked luggage.  This was on Navigator of the Seas.

I would be furious.  How far up the chain of command did she take the issue? 

• Like 1

DW with TSA pre was pulled for screening by TSA for the needles in a travel sewing kit ... she'd planned to fix a hem en route.  3 needles in the kit . . . she was allowed to keep it.  "It looked suspicious" 

I’ve seen knitting and crochet groups on cruises. I’ve been on a crochet cruise a couple of years ago. 

I do have a question about scissors. I know scissors cannot have more than a four inch blade. That’s not a problem; I use safety/kindergarten scissors. But would you pack them in your luggage or carry-on. I’ve heard both. And I don’t want to be without scissors through the cruise. 

Edited by LadyBeBop

44 minutes ago, LadyBeBop said:

I’ve seen knitting and crochet groups on cruises. I’ve been on a crochet cruise a couple of years ago. 

I do have a question about scissors. I know scissors cannot have more than a four inch blade. That’s not a problem; I use safety/kindergarten scissors. But would you pack them in your luggage or carry-on. I’ve heard both. And I don’t want to be without scissors through the cruise. 

I'd pack it in your checked luggage. That way it gets on the ship. Worst case is you have to go down to security and claim your bag.

• Thanks 1

I´m a cross-stitcher and we had a crafts group on the Oasis TA in 2014 with all kind of crafts (including a lady with a spinning wheel!). No problem at all regarding the needles. And actually I do have a sewing kit in my baggage which of course has a needle in it too. No problem ever.

steamboats

11 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

DW with TSA pre was pulled for screening by TSA for the needles in a travel sewing kit ... she'd planned to fix a hem en route.  3 needles in the kit . . . she was allowed to keep it.  "It looked suspicious" 

TSA can be just weird ( I'm trying to be nice ). They will will take needles, knitting needles, 4" pocket knives, etc because they can be used as a weapon. Well, so can a pencil or pen among other things so go figure. 🙄

I actually contacted RCCL and their response was ambiguous. I can’t imagine them having a hard time with a crafting needle but hearing that someone’s knitting needles were taken is also strange. How do you find out if their are crafting groups in the ship before it sails? 

FB7AE9EE-8FDF-413B-80AA-424E1E8FDC5A.jpeg

I have taken knitting needles and small scissors with no problem.  I took my knitting with me once when I had jury duty.  They let me keep the knitting needles and scissors but confiscated the small wind up tape measure.  Guess they thought I might try to use it to strangle someone with it.

I have taken my cross stitch needles and thread snipper so far nobody has said anything and my luggage gets delivered to my room, I do put them into my checked bag though, TSA is a little weird I think it depends on if the person is having a good day or not so far only once have they made a big deal about my bringing the snipper with me so now I just put into my checked bag to be safe