Book cruise online or with a NCL agent?

TomBeckCruise

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Regarding price drops, again this is NCL policy.  If you’re outside the final payment time frame, they aren’t going to offer a refund for a price drop.  The whole idea of booking early is to have the largest pick of cabin locations and categories.  Price may or may not drop in the interim.  The flip side of that, would you be willing to pay more if the fare went up?  Of course not.

Did you mean inside the final payment time frame?  There is never any issue getting price reductions applied to existing reservations when you are outside the final payment time frame.  I've done it many times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmeraldCoastCruisers said:

I’ve often wondered if booking through a TA has caused me not to ever get an upgrade offer!  Anyone who uses a TA have you gotten them before?

Lots of people who book via travel agents get upgrade offers.

I believe that some agents may not participate. Perhaps yours doesn’t.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

That very well could be the case!  I'm using a different one on my cruise next year so time will tell if I get an upgrade offer on that one.  🙂

1 hour ago, rrebel94 said:

Did you mean inside the final payment time frame?  There is never any issue getting price reductions applied to existing reservations when you are outside the final payment time frame.  I've done it many times.

My semantics may be hard to understand, but the terms for cruise payments can be found at NCL’s web site.

When I booked thru the airline cruise travel agency I got the upgrade advantage offer.  This last cruise on Jade I booked thru a different online TA and did not - however I have booked two more cruises thru the online TA and asked, and she said, yes, they DO participate in upgrade advantage, so we’ll see.

I always use a TA. She usually beats The cruise lines price and always gives us some OBC. Booked on Escape yesterday same price as  NCl but gave us $80 OBC .Also , booked Star , busy day lol, price was 680 less, I always watch for the price drop and she has made the adjustments 

16 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

You are correct but most large companies do. I doubt getting an upgrade from bidding has much to do with how or who we book with 

21 hours ago, EmeraldCoastCruisers said:

I’ve often wondered if booking through a TA has caused me not to ever get an upgrade offer!  Anyone who uses a TA have you gotten them before?

I always get upgrade offers, and have always used an on-line TA.

• 4 weeks later...

ive read thru this thread and is the consensus that you can make dining reservations, buy soda packs, book excursions on NCL.com even if you used a TA. basically anything but change the cabin?

im past final pymt so when i decide to book , the cabin is final regardless, but i do prefer to make any reservations myself. 

27 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

ive read thru this thread and is the consensus that you can make dining reservations, buy soda packs, book excursions on NCL.com even if you used a TA. basically anything but change the cabin?

Close.  Anything relating to changing the base reservation (room change, free-at-sea perk changes, OBC for room price reductions and I'm sure there may be a couple others) has to be done through the TA. 

Excursions, dining reservations, non-perk dining packages, internet, beverage packages, bottled water purchases can all be done on your online account or through a call to NCL without going through your TA.

On 8/16/2019 at 12:52 PM, TomBeckCruise said:

Are there advantages to either.

Is the price the same?

The price should be the same. As for the OPs question: I am a bit confused. I wonder if he/she is talking about booking via NCL on line or NCL rep? I didn't even think they might be talking about an ON LINE agent or directly calling NCL> Wonder what he/she decided to do?  . 

For many years we booked directly with NCL, we were happy and we loved the feeling of owning our own reservation. Then I came across a thread on CC much like this one and decided to try the TA world.  I can honestly say that “giving up’” the ability to call NCL directly has been completely worth it in our experience. What we have gained is incredible.

A good TA is worth their weight in gold. Shop around.  We used the same TA for several years bc they also included loyalty OBC, but they did have a cancellation policy.  Recently, I decided to shop around again. I went the compete for my business route and then explored each offer.  I decided to book with a new TA.  No cancellation.  Hundreds of dollars in OBC.  Twice, the pot was sweetened bc perks had changed. And, unlike working with  NCL direct we don't lose the original perks, they just added them. They added gratuities for 1/2 and then a few weeks later added the extra $50 shore excursion.  They also (Per my request) upgraded us from a family balcony to a mid ship mini suite as the price actually increased on the balcony and decreased on the mini. 

I hope you can have the same experience we did. 

52 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

The price should be the same. As for the OPs question: I am a bit confused. I wonder if he/she is talking about booking via NCL on line or NCL rep? I didn't even think they might be talking about an ON LINE agent or directly calling NCL> Wonder what he/she decided to do?  . 

I was asking about NCL phone agent (employee) or NCL website. 

I booked with a TA not directly with NCL.

Thanks for the replies.

2 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

I was asking about NCL phone agent (employee) or NCL website. 

I booked with a TA not directly with NCL.

Thanks for the replies.

That is what I thought you were talking about. Have a good cruise and I think dealing with a TA is the best way to go. Again everyone has an opinion on this and there is no cut and dry right way,

My PCC has been working with me for about 7 years now. She is soooo patient with me.  I am forever checking prices, changing cruise plans, deciding to do a pre- or post-cruise hotel, revising flights, and asking all manner of questions. I e-mail or call her, tell her what I need, and 10 minutes later, it's done. (I've even called her on her personal phone after hours and she's STILL cheerful and helpful!) 🚢

Would you mind sharing info on a good TA with me ?  Pls respond to kardelaan at gmail dot com.  

Had good contact at large USA agency, however she retired and now it is luck of the draw whoever answers phone.  Several times I quit after having been on hold for 30-40 min.  Therefore any tips for TA would be much appreciated.