,daily automatic tips

psawka

27 minutes ago, psawka said:

spot on...nor should they....all members of a crew do deserve a living wage, but that is the responsibility of the employer not the patrons.  If you go to a restaurant to have a nice meal....do you tip every employee?  I would think not....they all deserve a dece3 t wage but the is the responsibility of the employer not the customers...you tip only your waiter...not the owner, not the cook , not the clean up crew..etc. etc. etc. and it has nothing to do with being rich or cheap...you reward good service....but not the entire corporation

So you don’t want to reward the people that clean your dirty dishes 

Clean your dirty sheets 

so who would you Tip? And how much?   Seems you have a plan?   

2 hours ago, psawka said:

spot on...nor should they....all members of a crew do deserve a living wage, but that is the responsibility of the employer not the patrons.  If you go to a restaurant to have a nice meal....do you tip every employee?  I would think not....they all deserve a dece3 t wage but the is the responsibility of the employer not the customers...you tip only your waiter...not the owner, not the cook , not the clean up crew..etc. etc. etc. and it has nothing to do with being rich or cheap...you reward good service....but not the entire corporation

All of the wages paid to the employees of any business are paid by the customers of that business. 

6 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

So you don’t want to reward the people that clean your dirty dishes 

Clean your dirty sheets 

so who would you Tip? And how much?   Seems you have a plan?   

You do seem to be labouring the point and asking many posters on here who they wish to tip and how much. It really should be no concern of you as it is up to the individual if they wish to pay the discretionary Daily service charge or even tip anybody or nobody. If you wish to keep boasting that you carry a load of dollar bills to dish out to staff members then fine but it is certainly not everybody's choice

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

I don't recall attacking your opinion, only expressing mine to encourage people to understand the impact when you decline DSC and tip directly. I will ignore the sarcastic and personal nature of your comment but say these words would earn you a quick ban if I were an admin.

His argument is not to pay DSC at all; he wants to tip only specific people.

Uh oh, I am going to be banned.....I am shaking in my booties.  Put your money where your mouth is and cash tip above and beyond.  You want the rest of us to do it.  Lead by example.

Edited by Love my butler
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Well your one out of the very few that will pay the Daily service charge.   

You are wrong, plenty of us pay the Daily service charge, you attacked me earlier in this thread without reading my earlier post where I clearly stated I always pay the full DSC and would not dream or removing.

The other problem with your xenophobic comment is that the ability to remove the DSC has only just been re-introduced here, since 2017 it was included in the fare and impossible to be remove. You accuse us of something that was impossible for over two years.

"You don't understand the service industry" should read "You don't understand the US service industry" and has nothing to do with cruising or the rest of the world that operate very different systems. The cruise lines have a minimum seafarers wage in place which is much more aligned with most of the rest of the world than your system.

Others on here claim personal tips have to be handed in and are shared out just like the DSC, why do you therefore care if the OP (who I believe is from Pennsylvania) wants to remove the DSC and instead make personal payments.

I wish people would stop bragging about it, those who brag about how much they pay and those who brag they remove it completely, both groups know it's inflammatory and appear to relish the idea it will ruffle feathers.

Tipping is supposed to be a personal choice and discrete, not something that is argued about in public which frankly is unbecoming.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

You are wrong, plenty of us pay the Daily service charge, you attacked me earlier in this thread without reading my earlier post where I clearly stated I always pay the full DSC and would not dream or removing.

The other problem with your xenophobic comment is that the ability to remove the DSC has only just been re-introduced here, since 2017 it was included in the fare and impossible to be remove. You accuse us of something that was impossible for over two years.

"You don't understand the service industry" should read "You don't understand the US service industry" and has nothing to do with cruising or the rest of the world that operate very different systems. The cruise lines have a minimum seafarers wage in place which is much more aligned with most of the rest of the world than your system.

Others on here claim personal tips have to be handed in and are shared out just like the DSC, why do you therefore care if the OP (who I believe is from Pennsylvania) wants to remove the DSC and instead make personal payments.

I wish people would stop bragging about it, those who brag about how much they pay and those who brag they remove it completely, both groups know it's inflammatory and appear to relish the idea it will ruffle feathers.

Tipping is supposed to be a personal choice and discrete, not something that is argued about in public which frankly is unbecoming.

One of the most fun things about tipping threads is reading the comments from people who go so far into combat mode that they end up attacking absolutely everyone, regardless of what they have said or what side of the argument they are on.

For that reason alone, I support keeping these threads open for as long as possible. Some of it is comedy gold. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2019 at 5:58 PM, BirdTravels said:

I live in the real world and know that the people's so called individual tips will not come close to the total DSC. 

You are right. I don't know what the OP had in mind or anyone else for that matter, but when someone asks about the DSC and says they prefer to pay individually, I know they have no intention of paying $15 a day in tips. they can say what they want. As for paying each person separately like we have all been saying, there are too many who do get part of the DSC that we never see 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 6:01 PM, ziggyuk said:

There should be a sticky which sets out what you can and can't do with the DSC and then when one of these threads pop up, it gets directed to the sticky and the thread locked by a mod.

I'm sure people only start them for personal gratification. 

Good idea

14 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

I don't recall attacking your opinion, only expressing mine to encourage people to understand the impact when you decline DSC and tip directly. I will ignore the sarcastic and personal nature of your comment but say these words would earn you a quick ban if I were an admin.

His argument is not to pay DSC at all; he wants to tip only specific people.

There will always be those who only know how to post in a sarcastic way, and as for tipping or DSC whatever it is called, for us, it is easier to just pay the amount and add a few bucks to those who go above and beyond for us. No matter what some think it always appears when people ask about the DSC they really do not want to pay it or do not understand where the money goes. That is just my opinion. For those who say, I want to tip individually. Do they go to the laundry dept and find those who wash the sheets and towels, etc or do they go into the kitchen to hand a tip to the dish washer? I could go on and on, but I think I have made my point.. 

Well we could argue until the end of time and it will change NOTHING.  Everyone is going to do what they want to do no matter what anyone else tells them...my original question was HOW do you do this not if you can or cannot or should or should not. That is an individual decision that each person is going to make that will be in line with their own standard of living. We are all entitled to our opinions....right or wrong in others eyes!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psawka said:

That is an individual decision that each person is going to make that will be in line with their own standard of living.

Sorry to prolong the discussion, but what does a persons standard of living has to do with their decision? I thought that tips were given in line with the service received.

• Like 1

This is truly weird.  I do put my money where my mouth is and I laid it out for anyone to see. I pay the DSC to cover the basics, and add, typically, about $150 on top of it on a 7 day cruise.

Almost all passengers on every ship pay the DSC and nothing more.  Some of us tip more.  Some tip nothing.  Some take away DSC and tip only those they choose - and it may sum to the same as DSC or it may not.  These things are obvious.

But as far as why people care?  If more and more people cancel DSC and fail to tip as needed, it has the end effect to raise prices and the DSC to compensate. The rest of us pay more.  Years ago, the dining room was at its lowest attendance on... you guessed it.. the last night when tipping was due.  20% of the passengers skipping out on tipping. That is party why we have a DSC now. That, and to cover the flexible dining of buffets and dining rooms where you see a different waiter every meal. Also, without cash, the ship can allocate tips to all tipped positions without worrying about accounting for cash that is...underreported. 

6 hours ago, cottagers2000 said:

Yes, I think we have heard you many times before

LOLOL. The pot calling the kettle black Lolol.    Like we haven’t heard from you either.  Lolol.         

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

This is truly weird.  I do put my money where my mouth is and I laid it out for anyone to see. I pay the DSC to cover the basics, and add, typically, about $150 on top of it on a 7 day cruise.

Almost all passengers on every ship pay the DSC and nothing more.  Some of us tip more.  Some tip nothing.  Some take away DSC and tip only those they choose - and it may sum to the same as DSC or it may not.  These things are obvious.

But as far as why people care?  If more and more people cancel DSC and fail to tip as needed, it has the end effect to raise prices and the DSC to compensate. The rest of us pay more.  Years ago, the dining room was at its lowest attendance on... you guessed it.. the last night when tipping was due.  20% of the passengers skipping out on tipping. That is party why we have a DSC now. That, and to cover the flexible dining of buffets and dining rooms where you see a different waiter every meal. Also, without cash, the ship can allocate tips to all tipped positions without worrying about accounting for cash that is...underreported. 

Ding Ding Ding   Very well said.  

Just landed in Seattle.  Off to enjoy the day and TIP TIP TIP.   

Ready to cruise tomorrow and tip tip tip.           

See all you CB later.  Lolololol.   

131B8F81-DAEB-4320-A73D-64B9FEC201A0.jpeg

3B634CF8-DB72-49B9-876B-407FF415E462.jpeg

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

You forgot, there are those that remove the DSC and tip nothing.

• Like 3

I enjoy these tipping threads. Good entertainment.  🙂   It's fun reading how the generous tippers get their underwear all in a wad trying to coerce the other side that prefer to tip only "for service above and beyond" or nothing at all.

I hope the suggestion above for a sticky is never adopted. 

5 hours ago, psawka said:

Well we could argue until the end of time and it will change NOTHING.  Everyone is going to do what they want to do no matter what anyone else tells them...my original question was HOW do you do this not if you can or cannot or should or should not. That is an individual decision that each person is going to make that will be in line with their own standard of living. We are all entitled to our opinions....right or wrong in others eyes!!!!

Here's your direct answer.  You go to customer service the last day of the cruise and request to have all of your DSC removed from your account.  They'll most likely ask you why, and ask what they can do to make up for whatever shortcoming prompting the need to remove the charges. You tell them and post your answer on the form they give you to have the charges removed.

Edited by graphicguy

10 hours ago, psawka said:

Pay the daily service charge and ensure that ALL of the hard working crew members work work 7-days a week 10+ hours a day understand how much you appreciate their efforts. 

• Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 2:20 PM, psawka said:

What do you do if you do NOT want the automatic daily gratuity fee added to your bill and prefer to reward individuals when you leave the cruise?

As someone else said you can remove or adjust your discretionary charge the last night of your cruise. Personally , I rather spend my last night enjoying the ship and relaxing as opposed to joining a huge line of people probably doing the adjustments. 

4 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

As someone else said you can remove or adjust your discretionary charge the last night of your cruise. Personally , I rather spend my last night enjoying the ship and relaxing as opposed to joining a huge line of people probably doing the adjustments. 

I will wager I have been on more NCL cruises than you and the line at customer service the last day/night is nowhere near 'huge'.

3 hours ago, Love my butler said:

I will wager I have been on more NCL cruises than you and the line at customer service the last day/night is nowhere near 'huge'.

I've certainly seen many long queues. It depends a bit on timing, and your definition of "huge". Especially if the last day is a port day and you are off the ship, so can't benefit from it being quieter then.

Last week, the people who removed the DSC went to do it on the last day. They arrived back at the bar about 45 minutes later, complaining about the length of the queue. Maybe not huge, but certainly long. I'm sure there are quieter times, but whenever I passed through the Atrium the queue was about the same length.

Of course, as we were in Europe that probably makes a difference to the length of the queue. I'd say that this is fairly standard for European cruises.

Edited by KeithJenner