port of Venice

Noodles84

Define best. Fastest? Cheapest? You can take a land taxi, a private water taxi, or the Allilaguna blue line shared water shuttle to Marittima  (if your ship is docked there). The least expensive is to take a bus to Piazzale Roma, then take the People Mover and walk. But only do that if you can handle your own luggage. Some have reported porters at P. Roma (in season) who will carry your bags to the ship for a fee; but I wouldn't depend on that.

You'll find more  info in the Ports of Call forum for Venice.

Not sure why you didn't ask (or do some research) on the Italy board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

As mentioned "best" is totally subjective, and requires definition. 

Hopefully you are not just arriving and jumping on the ship. Venice is a wonderful place you need to spend some time and investigate. And get over jet lag.

Simple answer to a simple question.

Taxi.

We pre-booked but were let down. A taxi from the rank at the airport cost pennies more than the pre-booked quote..

About 9 miles, takes about 20 minutes. Don't fecall the cost, but it didn't break the bank.

By boat would be wonderful, but slow and  seriously expensive for just two people.

BTW we flew in from Europe on embarkation day, but our ship overnited in port.

So we saw what we wanted of Venice that evening and next day.

A lot of ships spend the first night there - OP's ship might be doing the same.

JB :classic_smile:

I have done the bus that runs from the airport to the Piazzale Roma, the transportation hub in Venice, which was fine and inexpensive. But when you get off the bus, you will have to gather your luggage and schlep it across cobblestone-like walking surface to the People Mover and up the escalator or Elevator or stairs to the "train" (an elevated tram). The cost for the ride a couple of years ago was 1.5 Euro one way. Tickets are purchased from a machine in the P-Mover building.

When we got off the tram, Princess had a bus waiting to deliver us to the gangway, for those who didn't want to walk there, which, as we found out later, can be a pretty good hike, depending on where the ship is docked. They also provided a truck for luggage, and we didn't see it again till it was delivered to our cabin.

We're going again later this year and have opted for a Princess transfer from the airport instead. Should mean less schlepping for us!!

3 hours ago, flamomo said:

I have done the bus that runs from the airport to the Piazzale Roma, the transportation hub in Venice, which was fine and inexpensive. But when you get off the bus, you will have to gather your luggage and schlep it across cobblestone-like walking surface to the People Mover and up the escalator or Elevator or stairs to the "train" (an elevated tram). The cost for the ride a couple of years ago was 1.5 Euro one way. Tickets are purchased from a machine in the P-Mover building.

When we got off the tram, Princess had a bus waiting to deliver us to the gangway, for those who didn't want to walk there, which, as we found out later, can be a pretty good hike, depending on where the ship is docked. They also provided a truck for luggage, and we didn't see it again till it was delivered to our cabin.

We're going again later this year and have opted for a Princess transfer from the airport instead. Should mean less schlepping for us!!

How much is the princess transfer?  Do the math, if you are more than a couple people a private water taxi might be worth it for the xperience and also cost, I think they can take up to 6 people and luggage

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If if you are thinking of going directly to your ship without spending some time there pre-cruise, you do not strike me as someone capable of understanding the opportunity afforded you, so you might as well just take the damn bus to save money and be done with it.    

Been there several times.  To me, meh. I'm not a big fan and I take a lot of abuse for that.  "Everyone" loves Venice - it's so romantic, it's so pretty.  Well, Venice has: Lots of crowds. Lots of daytrippers.  Very expensive. Not the best food in Italy.  Thankfully Venice will be blocking the large ships from sailing "downtown" so maybe the cruise lines will utilize another port for embarkation and disembarkation. 

2 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

Been there several times.  To me, meh. I'm not a big fan and I take a lot of abuse for that.  "Everyone" loves Venice - it's so romantic, it's so pretty.  Well, Venice has: Lots of crowds. Lots of daytrippers.  Very expensive. Not the best food in Italy.  Thankfully Venice will be blocking the large ships from sailing "downtown" so maybe the cruise lines will utilize another port for embarkation and disembarkation. 

You have defined one of the major reasons for getting to Venice a day or two before sailing:  the evenings are when the “lots of crowds. Lots of daytrippers” have left. And with a bit or research you can find many good, reasonably priced restaurants , fine museums and music —- and have at least one of your cruise ports  a bit more than a Mediterranean drive-by.

Water taxi. You see lots without walking all over the place. Be aware that the cruise pier is the last stop, it will take a while to make the trip.

We flew in early, rented a car at the airport and returned the car there, then got on the water taxi. We chatted a bit with the guys on the pier and they got us on first since we were going to be there the entire trip.

Jim

Edited by JimnKaren

1 hour ago, JimnKaren said:

Water taxi. You see lots without walking all over the place. Be aware that the cruise pier is the last stop, it will take a while to make the trip.

We flew in early, rented a car at the airport and returned the car there, then got on the water taxi. We chatted a bit with the guys on the pier and they got us on first since we were going to be there the entire trip.

Jim

This doesn't sound like a water taxi, it sounds like the water bus.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

This doesn't sound like a water taxi, it sounds like the water bus.

Yes, it is essentially a water bus.  It still is an excellent way of getting to Venice from the airport:  it is inexpensive, you get to see the lagoon, feel the motion of riding on water, and can pick the stop closest to your hotel - or ride to the end if you are going straight to the ship.

22 hours ago, chipmaster said:

How much is the princess transfer?  Do the math, if you are more than a couple people a private water taxi might be worth it for the xperience and also cost, I think they can take up to 6 people and luggage

We are doing another cruise out of Venice later this year and will be using a Princess transfer this time. The charge is $34 each.

5 hours ago, flamomo said:

We are doing another cruise out of Venice later this year and will be using a Princess transfer this time. The charge is $34 each.

So if you have a part of three or more the private taxi from dock to airport or Venice or vice versa wins out IMHO

5 hours ago, flamomo said:

even a land taxi would be about 40E  per car  not PP  & no waiting for the bus to fill up

We are spending a few days in Rome, then a train to Venice, spend a night, then cruise out of Venice (late Sept 2020).  Travel agent says to wait until November/December 2019 to book hotels, ground transportation, etc.  Roughly a day and a half prior to the cruise in Venice.  Any advice?

4 hours ago, skiorcruise said:

We are spending a few days in Rome, then a train to Venice, spend a night, then cruise out of Venice (late Sept 2020).  Travel agent says to wait until November/December 2019 to book hotels, ground transportation, etc.  Roughly a day and a half prior to the cruise in Venice.  Any advice?

I think that is good advice, all around. Good distribution of time, good ideas for planning. I would probably do the same based on our interests. Venice generally doesn't require a lot of time...I would always give more time to Rome.

There are only two of us and we used the cruiseline transfer.  Our luggage went straight from baggage claim on a truck and the next time we saw it was in our cabin.  I do not remember waiting for the bus to fill up.  For two of us it was a very viable option.

We are always conscious of our budget (so we can cruise more) and have found that the bus works best for us .It leaves from the front of the airport every 20 minutes or so (you want precision, go to Switzerland) and cost 8 euros one way or 15 euros round trip. There is plenty of room for luggage and it drops you off in Piazzale Roma, the hub of Venice. Our favorite hotel is one bridge and about 500 yards from there. The people mover is a few yards from the bus drop off and it gets you to the outside of the cruise port. It's a good stroll from there to the ship depending on which berth so many folks take a taxi instead of the people mover. This info may change when Venice changes its cruise ship protocol.