Haven restaurant closed on Joy

valleyvillage

Due to repairs in the Haven galley, the Haven restaurant will be closed during your sailing from September 7th to September 14th.

We will be providing the following dining alternatives:
Cagney’s Steakhouse, Deck 8 Aft, will be open for breakfast and lunch and will serve the current Haven breakfast and lunch menus.
A complimentary 7-meal specialty dining package will be provided for you onboard so you can enjoy. 

Just got today. Disappointed but we will survive!

13 minutes ago, valleyvillage said:

Due to repairs in the Haven galley, the Haven restaurant will be closed during your sailing from September 7th to September 14th.

Cagney’s Steakhouse, Deck 8 Aft, will be open for breakfast and lunch and will serve the current Haven breakfast and lunch menus.
A complimentary 7-meal specialty dining package will be provided for you onboard so you can enjoy. 

Well that is a bummer but on the bright side, you won't have to face the same fixed menu every night.  Glad they recognized that you've paid for an upgraded dining experience by at least providing specialty dining in it's place.  On one of our Haven experiences on Breakaway last spring they decided it was necessary to recarpet the Haven dining room about half-way through our cruise.  They closed the restaurant for a full day but in its place we were only offered dining by the courtyard pool.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, valleyvillage said:

Due to repairs in the Haven galley, the Haven restaurant will be closed during your sailing from September 7th to September 14th. We will be providing the following dining alternatives: Cagney’s Steakhouse, Deck 8 Aft, will be open for breakfast and lunch and will serve the current Haven breakfast and lunch menus. A complimentary 7-meal specialty dining package will be provided for you onboard so you can enjoy. 

Sad. We like the outdoors seating area in the Haven restaurant. Waterfront at Cagney's is not quite the same.  Haven guests will be dining in Cagney's. Concierge guests will be dining in La Cucina. Have a great cruise!

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Sad. We like the outdoors seating area in the Haven restaurant. Waterfront at Cagney's is not quite the same.  Haven guests will be dining in Cagney's. Concierge guests will be dining in La Cucina. Have a great cruise!

Thanks, Bird! I posted my worry about the Pier 66 porters on another thread, wondering how far we'll have to drag our suitcases to them. Mobility issues here. And do folks usually tip them there? We always do at other piers. And final question, am I hijacking my own thread? LOL! Thanks again.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, valleyvillage said:

Thanks, Bird! I posted my worry about the Pier 66 porters on another thread, wondering how far we'll have to drag our suitcases to them. Mobility issues here. And do folks usually tip them there? We always do at other piers. And final question, am I hijacking my own thread? LOL! Thanks again.

That's disappointing about the Haven restaurant being closed, I know on other ships the outdoor dining is lovely. We traveled out of Seattle Pier 66 and as soon as our car service pulled up to let us out the porters came right over to assist and we tipped them right there. Enjoy your cruise!

46 minutes ago, Cindyscruising said:

That's disappointing about the Haven restaurant being closed, I know on other ships the outdoor dining is lovely. We traveled out of Seattle Pier 66 and as soon as our car service pulled up to let us out the porters came right over to assist and we tipped them right there. Enjoy your cruise!

That is so good to hear. Thank you very much. 

1 hour ago, valleyvillage said:

make sure you have your driver get you right up to the curb in front of the bag dropoff. I am glad that others had a better experience than us. There were no porters helping on the curb when we were there last month. (And no porters at the curb when we sailed on the Bliss last year).  It's not too far from the curb to the drop (if you can't find a porter). 

The curb is not much off the right side of the picture (to the right of the lady in green). The problem is that if you have a lazy driver, they will try to dump you as soon as they can (and avoid the congestion right in front of the bag drop). Our Lyft driver dropped us off right in front, so it wasn't too bad. 

We tip the porters (even if they just stand behind their barrier and collect bags). Maybe a little less than those who actually try to help you. 

Have a wonderful cruise! We are ready to go back again (actually, we're suppose to be on a cruise right now, that got cancelled by the hurricane). 

image.png.610ab2397ec4ec9569a8c71d4a6a4920.png

Edited by BirdTravels

It sucks to miss that beautiful restaurant with the views and amazing service.  However, all those specialty dining options sounds pretty good.  The Haven menu never changes so the restaurant for dinner is a once or twice option.  I would be at Q and Los Lobos a few times 🙂

I wonder what happened that it requires a full week of work on a relatively new ship?
Some Haven people are fussy so I imagine there is going to be lots of complaints.  It is a great luxury to stumble out of bed and walk steps into your own private restaurant.

LOL you know there are going to be some arrogant people that want to sit in the Haven restaurant and make their butler bring them lunch there.  By the message that was sent, I don't think NCL wants anyone to even think about that option.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, valleyvillage said:

Of course you are disappointed but at least they are giving you something in return. Thanks for posting and as always, Thanks for your positive attitude as usual. I want to sail with you someday Too bad, hubby and I are about to call cruising life over for us. The age is starting to show up. Have a great cruise.  

• Like 1

It's nice they comped you an extra dining package, but one of the joys of dining in the Haven restaurant is not having to worry about dinner reservations. With the upcharge restaurants, you're pretty much forced into it for dinner. Hope they give Haven guests priority and flexibility and have extra staff to help make those reservations as soon as you board.

My experience has been consistently negative if we wanted to swap one restaurant for another or get a new dinner reservation mid to late cruise, whether Haven or suite, large ship or small.

Good luck and happy cruising.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, david_sobe said:

you know there are going to be some arrogant people that want to sit in the Haven restaurant and make their butler bring them lunch there.  

Why is that arrogant? Haven't they paid for that?

(It shouldn't have been a big problem for me to eat somewhere else but I should prefer to get what I have paid for.)

15 hours ago, Love my butler said:

As a Haven guest you already get a 3 meal SDP.  So actually they are providing an additional 4 meal SDP?

It probably means you get a refund (ask quickly before they change their minds) of the grats on the 3 meal SDP, and get the 7 meal for free. And if you are a Platinum member, you can use 2 of the 7-meal SDP for lunch at Food Republic or the American Diner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Why is that arrogant? Haven't they paid for that?

(It shouldn't have been a big problem for me to eat somewhere else but I should prefer to get what I have paid for.)

It was tongue and cheek.  You have the right but I find it ridiculous to order food in one restaurant and eat it in another.  

If you did not book specialty restaurants before you board you may be able to get a  good time. With all the haven people getting first crack at reservations you will  be lucky to get first or last hour. Their will be a lot of people with a SDP package who can not get  into most restaurants. With so many free SDP packages it is hard to get a reservation now. I think will hear from a lot of passengers who had a dining problem  on your cruise.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, waterjock said:

If you did not book specialty restaurants before you board you may be able to get a  good time. With all the haven people getting first crack at reservations you will  be lucky to get first or last hour. Their will be a lot of people with a SDP package who can not get  into most restaurants. With so many free SDP packages it is hard to get a reservation now. I think will hear from a lot of passengers who had a dining problem  on your cruise.

What is the basis for your assertion? Do you have substantiation for your claim?

"All of the Haven people" already had a 3-night SDP. Some/many of the Haven guests are Platinum or above members with an additional 2-night latitude package (for a total of 5 nights). So, for the 87 Haven cabins, we're looking at adding 2-4 additional nights of specialty dining. At double occupancy, that would be between 87*2/7=25 (platinum members) and  87*4/7=50 (non-platinum members) extra people a night. 

Norwegian Joy specialty dining rooms seat 993 guests per seating. At 3 seating (or more) a night, Norwegian Joy specialty restaurants have the capacity to seat at least 2979 guests (or more) of the 3802 double occupancy guests every night. 

Haven guests do NOT get "first crack" at reservations. Anyone who boards early will have equal chance at booking a table on the day and time of their choice. However, once the restaurant is "sold out", the concierge has the ability to oversell a restaurant and reserve a table for a Haven guest.  The same is true for Suites guests on the Joy. 

How may times have you read reviews from passengers who said they could not get a reservation for smaller restaurants like La bistro.I have been on 3 cruises on escape and have gone to reservations as soon as i boarded. I was told only early or late seating were available.I was just saying that  the Haven being closed would make it harder to get a reservation and a time that you wanted. That being said Bird Travels is a legend on cruise critic i defer to your knowledge.

• Like 1