Edge improvements promised?

DebInAntigua

• 3 weeks later...

It's really odd that no one who has sailed the Edge recently has chimed in on this. Did X ever change the bifold doors in the IVs for frosted glass for privacy in all infinite veranda cabins? It was supposed to be done by July/August but that was the last I heard about it.

We sail next month and wondering if I need to buy magnets and a curtain for privacy or not! "

Cross-posted this in a few related threads, hopefully someone can confirm one way or the other who has sailed this month on Edge.

On the same cruise as OP..in a Sunset Veranda.

Would like to know the current status of balcony furniture and loungers  or at least footrests. ( loungers would not fit the IV cabins but our balcony is outdoors and huge!)   We could also enjoy a larger outdoor table for breakfast and sunset dinner out there!

Also wonder if cabin  has any new tables or just the tom tom?

On 9/15/2019 at 1:49 AM, Alakegirl said:

They will arrive right after the water is restored to Aqua Class stateroooms and the nnew level of Captain’s Club is in poace🤪. Their promises aren’t worth much sometimes.....

Hmmmm, do you think they will have a $14 per passenger/day surcharge for frosted glass?

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

Why o why did you go there!

😁

Cheers and bon voyage

It makes me wonder, as well, Bo. Brain fade, I would guess. You're a few years behind me, but you will understand along the way...

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

To me frosting the panes on the French doors is making a bad design choice even worse.  Celebrity entirely missed the mark with the infinite verandah concept and now they are just putting lipstick on a pig - and not even a good shade of lipstick at that!

We had the fortune of attending a bridge tour recently on Eclipse. The Operations Captain explained that the Infinite Veranda concept is helpful in maintaining ship's speed during heavy headwinds. The Captain closes all the IV 'windows' and it drastically reduces drag on the side of the ship, making it much more aerodynamic. Just food for thought, ATL Cruiser.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bluwes said:

We got off the Edge 2 weeks ago. Too be honest we never even looked at the French doors, we kept them open all the time.

Did you happen to take any picture of the IV area? Might be able to tell from that if you share one here.

30 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

Did you happen to take any picture of the IV area? Might be able to tell from that if you share one here.

Nope, but my wife says they were frosted. I took no notice whatsoever, they may as well not have been there.  That's women for you ..😁

I thought it made the stateroom so much bigger with them open.  With the blind down it was a total blackout, I know that much

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K12Guy said:

It makes me wonder, as well, Bo. Brain fade, I would guess. You're a few years behind me, but you will understand along the way...

No worries or wonder, I thought about going there but have recently been slapped on the wrist about movies participation... LOL

cheers and bon voyage

8 hours ago, K12Guy said:

We had the fortune of attending a bridge tour recently on Eclipse. The Operations Captain explained that the Infinite Veranda concept is helpful in maintaining ship's speed during heavy headwinds. The Captain closes all the IV 'windows' and it drastically reduces drag on the side of the ship, making it much more aerodynamic. Just food for thought, ATL Cruiser.

So the IV has nothing to do with the extra amenity to the passengers and everything to do with saving them money!

• Like 1

Here is a picture of our IV balcony on The Edge 9 September 2019.  I think you can see the doors have frosted glass.  We kept them open and brought down the blind half way overnight.  We do not mind awaking to light however.

Much to our surprise, we loved the IV!  The privacy between cabins is greatly improved with no chance of faces appearing around the balcony dividers.   The area does make the cabin feel larger and we made good use of it.

4183B9E6-0DED-46D5-AA87-F896EC88F8F9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, K12Guy said:

There's nothing wrong with the IV balcony concept, the problem is with the execution.   The inherent problem with the design is the amount of space allocated for the balcony.  It's too small for a decent sized chair and table.  The addition of a king-size bed in about the same amount of space required Celebrity to reallocate space from the balcony and even then many people feel the space is still too cramped and they always keep the French doors open.  With this approach you really lose the balcony and the IV becomes a glorified oceanview cabin.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

There's nothing wrong with the IV balcony concept, the problem is with the execution.   The inherent problem with the design is the amount of space allocated for the balcony.  It's too small for a decent sized chair and table.  The addition of a king-size bed in about the same amount of space required Celebrity to reallocate space from the balcony and even then many people feel the space is still too cramped and they always keep the French doors open.  With this approach you really lose the balcony and the IV becomes a glorified oceanview cabin.  

100%  correct!   But we liked it... and never closed the doors.

Closing the doors meant moving the clunky chairs. Tried it once,.not worth it.

The person  sleeping next to the doors would really not have any space to walk by the bed on that side.  Just too small a space with too big a bed...( and a small tom tom for an inside table)

We'll try the Sunset Veranda with  large outdoor balc...also a larger or longer stateroom  from what we read.

Just back from 11 nights on the Edge. We were in a Sky Suite so can't comment on the frosted windows but as one poster pointed out, it looks like it was done. I've scanned all of my exterior photos and you really can't tell. The furniture is the same as on the Sky Suite balconies except that after significant number of comments you can now request a lounger to be added. Obviously those won't fit in an IV. From talking to passengers, seems 60/40 to 50/50 love-hate on the IVs. I'm guessing Celebrity wishes it hadnt gone all in on them. By the way, if the design was intended to make the ship more stable, I don't think it worked. We found the Edge no better and maybe even slightly inferior to Solstice class ships in that regard.

20 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

To me frosting the panes on the French doors is making a bad design choice even worse.  Celebrity entirely missed the mark with the infinite verandah concept and now they are just putting lipstick on a pig - and not even a good shade of lipstick at that!

Understand that you are negative about the IV's.  A lot of people don't like them. But given the fact that they exist and are not going away, and that a lot of people also like the concept, why is frosting the glass a bad idea or lipstick on a pig??  Please explain why you have an issue with frosted glass.  Just trying to understand.

• Thanks 1