Country music on Carnival

Honolulu Blue

9 hours ago, watermelonqueen99 said:

Galveston basically equals country music, one of the many reasons it's our least favorite port to sail out of. Despite my username, I prefer hip hop and top 40. Lol NOLA and Miami tend to have less countrified passengers/music in our experience, but unfortunately Carnival seems to be moving away from party bands in favor of string bands, so I guess it doesn't really matter anymore. 🙄

For me, this is a huge plus.  My husband and I love country music.  The passengers who cruise out of Galveston, many from Texas, are our favorite type of cruising passengers. In general, they are very polite, fun, and friendly. The port itself is not pretty and is very far from the airports.  Also, the itineraries are very limited.  I really prefer cruising an eastern route to a western.  If they had better itineraries, I would choose Galveston every time.

Thanks everyone.  You've enhanced my knowledge greatly.  

Since we're near the top of page 2 of this tread, let me try to summarize what you have collectively said.  I apologize for not giving individual credit:

* Yes, there is some country on all sailings from Galveston - more than the ones from POM/PE/TAM

* There is also some country on Port Canaveral sailings

* There are line dancing lessons and country music-themed music trivia on Galveston and PC sailings, less likely elsewhere

* One of the Playlist shows, "Country Roads", has a country theme, though it may not be the best show for true fans.  It currently only appears on a few of the ships in the fleet.

* There is some country music among the karaoke selections - more among ships that sail from Galveston and Port Canaveral

* There can be some country in the nightclub, but it's best to go early

* The Red Frog Pub was noted as a place with plenty of country music, at least on certain ships

* High Dynamics was noted as a band that played country music on the Breeze (Port Canaveral); there may be others on other ships

A couple of you suggested a themed cruise.  I had a good laugh at that.  😄  First of all, if I had to take a cruise with my favorite band (NOT country, by the way), I would go completely nuts by day 3.  And not in a good way.  And second, though I respect great artists and songs of many genres, I haven't found that many country songs I liked all that much.  It's a personal failing, I know, but it's also the way it is.  A country music themed cruise would have me leaping off the ship within 24 hours.

Thanks again.

I've sailed from Galveston twice. Once on the Magic and the 1st week of September on the Dream. Both cruises DID have country music. Trivia.....Country night in the disco/dance club.......One man band who sang country & requests......country music playing in different places as background music.......country line dance class.

Agree that either you like it or not.....however, I can't stand the club techno music that plays most of the time on our ships out of Miami. I was really disappointed in music options on the Horizon in May. Ended up spending most of our time in the Havana area.

One complaint I've had on every cruise so far: 80's night in the disco/dance club. They don't play 80's music. It's always 70's disco and early 80's. (Like to 82 maybe).  They need real 80's. Big difference between "Celebration" and "Living On A Prayer".

• Like 1

It sounds like we need to try a cruise out of Galveston to experience a little more country music & trivia. Can anyone offer some insight as to what type of country music is played? I'd be looking for stuff through the 90's, but not much after that, as it morphs into pop-country that I don't care for.

26 minutes ago, CheckersMidwest said:

One complaint I've had on every cruise so far: 80's night in the disco/dance club. They don't play 80's music. It's always 70's disco and early 80's. (Like to 82 maybe).  They need real 80's. Big difference between "Celebration" and "Living On A Prayer".

Let's face it, Celebration is much easier to dance to than Livin' On A Prayer. I love 80's music, it's my favorite genre, but a lot of it isn't the easiest music to dance to...and in a club, that's vital.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 10:28 AM, Essiesmom said:

Ten or so years ago, they had a production show called Extreme Country.  I saw it on Fascination, and they expanded it on Dream.  On Fascination, the singer/violinist on The Devil Came Down from GA was the CD.  EM

His name is Steve Cassel. He loves country music. Everywhere you went, it was country music, country music, country music. There was one jazz band. I made sure never to sail with him again.

P.S. In country it is called a fiddle.

Edited by trummy

On 9/16/2019 at 11:16 AM, Towel Critter said:

We just got off of the Miracle yesterday. I was surprised to hear predominantly country music playing in the buffet area all day, every day. I'm not making any sort of statement here, one way or the other, I'm just reporting. (man, if only news outlets could do that!) 🙂

This was our experience as well! By day 2 it began to get annoying.  We had gotten to know the trivia host, who also happened to be a DJ in the nightclub.  We asked him to speak to the person who handles the daytime playlist and see if they could please change it up a little.  It worked!  For the rest of the cruise there was more variety to the music and still some country.

• Like 2

I saw the suggestion about country music charters.... I am going on the full ship charter Carolina Country Music Cruise in November 16-21 on Sunshine out of Charleston.  GREAT lineup!  Perhaps it will become an annual or every other year.  Google it.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 8:37 AM, evandbob said:

Unless it's a themed cruise featuring a particular style of music, IMHO, Caribbean music should be the prominent genre featured on Caribbean cruises, preferably a live band with steel drums.

Do they even have bands with real steel drums any more?

3 hours ago, Crusin Hogs said:

Yes on the lido deck  ,,  

That's good news.

Ten years ago, on our last cruise (Ecstacy out of Galveston) all they had was a "Caribbean Duo".  Some man playing bongos (badly) and a woman with a synthesizer.  Synthesized steel drums just ain't the same. 

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:39 PM, watermelonqueen99 said:

unfortunately Carnival seems to be moving away from party bands in favor of string bands, so I guess it doesn't really matter anymore. 🙄

"String bands?"  You mean as in soft/pop classical violin music in the atriums?  That fits the pre-dinner mood better than something like DaBaby screeching "Suge" or Wiley rappin' "Boasty"..   But there are still cover bands on Carnival, while much of the dance club music has shifted to the DJ styling. And wasn't Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus a country hip hop crossover?

I'h headed out of Galveston in a couple weeks

I am a professional musician in an area that there is a lot of Country music.

I'm a rocker, through and through - but I intently check out the entertainment on the ships.  I will be more than happy to report my findings in a few weeks :)

We sailed out of NOLA on the Glory two weeks ago and out of Mobile last August.

Both ships had Country Trivia.Got 39/40 and got second.

Both had Musicians who had Country in their sets playing in the Atrium.

There was much more “canned background “ music on the cruise out of Mobile.

We are Country Music fans so we were paying attention.

1 hour ago, marci4tony said:

I'h headed out of Galveston in a couple weeks

I am a professional musician in an area that there is a lot of Country music.

I'm a rocker, through and through - but I intently check out the entertainment on the ships.  I will be more than happy to report my findings in a few weeks 🙂

Thanks!

I am actually a big Bluegrass fan.  All of our satellite radios stay tuned to Bluegrass junction (62/SiriusXM).

But, when I am in a certain place, I like the background music to reflect the local flavor.  It's all a part of the theming, and why I think that Disney parks are the best at "putting you somewhere else".  In each of their themed areas they have background music that matches the visual theming.  It's an art.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 11:17 AM, CheckersMidwest said:

. I was really disappointed in music options on the Horizon in May. Ended up spending most of our time in the Havana area.

When we were on the Horizon,  they had as really good cover  band. But the Latin band in the Havana Club was excellent. No disappointment on the  music front for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again everyone.  I went on my cruise out of Galveston recently and found that there was some country influence there.  They had a country music duo that played in various places around the ship (mostly the atrium).  I heard some country piped in occasionally.  There was at least one session of country music trivia.  And there was a line dancing lesson.  I was fine with all of this.

Based on comments here, I'm expecting similar on the Breeze in a couple of months.  Yee haw!

8 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks again everyone.  I went on my cruise out of Galveston recently and found that there was some country influence there.  They had a country music duo that played in various places around the ship (mostly the atrium).  I heard some country piped in occasionally.  There was at least one session of country music trivia.  And there was a line dancing lesson.  I was fine with all of this.

Based on comments here, I'm expecting similar on the Breeze in a couple of months.  Yee haw!

Did you experience more curent-day pop country, older stuff, or was it mixed?