Horizon / Live / Solo - Sep 21-29-2019

sid_9169

4 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

Getting my bag prepared for La Romana... Towel, money, sunscreen, handy wipes, etc... One thing I did forget to bring from home is my snorkeling mask... It was on the list, and I still forgot it. I'm losing it in my old age...

Grab a few of those sugar straws and improvise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cookie just made an announcement that the ship hasn't been cleared yet, yada yada yada... He also mentioned that the line today shouldn't be nearly as bad as yesterday... I wonder how they can predict such a thing? And, also why they didn't just do it correctly yesterday... We will see...

10 minutes ago, CRUISERMOMX3 said:

IMG_20190923_101905.thumb.jpg.3f78c987af7ce6acf95f646e16bea2e3.jpg

Any chance you'll try out the Havana Bar and let us know how it is? 

If it is like back in January,  there'll be a few people around when the band plays. Love Latin jazz and salsa. but otherwise only the Habana cabin folks walking in and out.  Mojitos were good though.  But always did Alchemy for the night cap.

• Like 1

Yes, I hope you didn't start out with rain also.  Here in KC, MO, we had torrential rain today, and I believe it is to be the same for tomorrow. 😞  When I seen the picture of the cemetery, that reminded me of when I was in either St. Thomas, or St. Kitts this year, and they call them "Underground condominiums. 🙂

• Like 1

You said you had a wonderful nights sleep, I could have guaranteed that for you, or that is MY opinion! 🙂 The reason I say this, I have been on many ships, and Carnival's beds and bedding, I have found to be the best!  In fact, this will seem funny, but I feel like a baby in a cocoon, when I'm in Carnival's beds. Even when (you thought it might be the movement of the ship) there is no movement of the ship when sleeping I feel this way. 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

I was checking my balance on the Hub app, and noticed a charge for $112 from the steakhouse... I was about to head down to guest services to see what it was, then I remembered that they pre charge you now for the chef's table...

Carnival started this new thing where you are actually paying for the steakhouse and chef's table when you reserve it. On Sunday, I made a regular reservation for the chef's table for a May 2020 cruise and when I looked at my cruise again last night, you have to add it to your cart and pay for it. I wonder if they have had too many no-shows.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

Carnival started this new thing where you are actually paying for the steakhouse and chef's table when you reserve it. On Sunday, I made a regular reservation for the chef's table for a May 2020 cruise and when I looked at my cruise again last night, you have to add it to your cart and pay for it. I wonder if they have had too many no-shows.

I wonder if they're doing that for all ships, I made reservations a few weeks ago for the Steakhouse and Teppanyaki on the Panorama for next March and didn't have to pay, I've received confirmations for both.  The Teppanyaki confirmation did say there would be a $25 charge for no-show or cancellation within 24 hours of reservations.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cathyz said:

I wonder if they're doing that for all ships, I made reservations a few weeks ago for the Steakhouse and Teppanyaki on the Panorama for next March and didn't have to pay, I've received confirmations for both.  The Teppanyaki confirmation did say there would be a $25 charge for no-show or cancellation within 24 hours of reservations.  

It's being rolled out to all ships. It was a discussion on a Carnival Valor FB page a few weeks ago. Like I said, I just made reservations on Sunday and didn't have to pay. I went to the website the next night and it requires it to be added to a cart and purchased. This was for the Legend.  I already had steakhouse reservations for a Valor cruise in December. I looked at that cruise last night and it would require being added to a cart and purchased. The webpage looks completely different than it did before.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Amadawn1 said:

Dang.  I wish they had a Bonsai Teppanyaki on the Vista.  Will have to do with Bonsai Sushi on the Vista in Dec.  Hope it was a great meal!

We just got off the Vista a couple weeks ago and ate at Bonsai Sushi 3 times. it is awesome. Ask for Suttelila(spelling) she's a doll.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

It's being rolled out to all ships. It was a discussion on a Carnival Valor FB page a few weeks ago. Like I said, I just made reservations on Sunday and didn't have to pay. I went to the website the next night and it requires it to be added to a cart and purchased. This was for the Legend.  I already had steakhouse reservations for a Valor cruise in December. I looked at that cruise last night and it would require being added to a cart and purchased. The webpage looks completely different than it did before.

Interesting!! Mine for the Horizon in December still has the Reservation request forms

• Like 1

I'm back on board now, and not a minute too soon... This was the first time in my cruising career that I actually bent down and kissed the actual deck of the ship with my bare lips... The good news is, that the line to get back on board wasn't anything like yesterday. If it had been, then I would have probably just climbed up the side of the ship like spider man...

But, let's just start at the beginning. I don't really have many pictures from today, which I'll explain soon... Right at 9:30, we were given the go-ahead to debark, which I did. I was able to find the taxi area pretty easily, because I had studied maps of the port, and I knew roughly where it was located. We waited there about a half hour until all the people going on this particular tour showed up. It was hot, but that doesn't really bother me that much. On the ground in the taxi area, there were these tiny jumping spiders, and I tried not to end up with one of those on my leg. They were very small, but I hate spiders...

Soon enough, all the people were there, and we boarded the taxi. Every single spot in the van was occupied, and one lady even had to sit on her husband's lap. I ended up in the front, next to the driver. Not in the passenger seat, but one of those center console seats, but not really a seat. My legs were smashed up against the dash, and we had about a twenty five minute ride ahead of us...

I tolerated the lack of comfort with thoughts of the idyllic island we were about to visit......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We arrived at the Seavis office at Bahibe beach, a pretty good distance from the port. We paid our balance in cash, and soon we were boarding the "speed boat" which would take us to Sanoa Island...

I was one of the last ones to board, and I chose a seat closer to the back, as I know that the ride is generally more smooth back there. The owner said "no, you can't sit there, that seat is taken. You must sit up here in the front"... No problem. I'm trying to be an agreeable guy, I go sit in the front... She starts handing out life jackets that appeard to be from the Viet Nam war era, and they smelled like stagnant water and body odor... I asked if there was one available that wasn't so worn, and she reached into a hole in the front of the boat and pulled out another. This one appeared to be in slightly better condition, but still stunk, and it was wet as well... I guess I got what I asked for, if you know what I mean...IMG_20190924_102142.thumb.jpg.f4fe69d1cf5682a080c0b659453c5722.jpg

IMG_20190924_102137.jpg

• Like 1

Soon, we were off towards beautiful Sanoa Island. We went very slowly until we were out into open water, and then sped up once we were out a bit... The front end was raised out of the water once we got up to speed, and came crashing down after every wave, which was approximately every three seconds. The cushion I was sitting on was probably about an inch thick when it was new, but in it's current condition, was about 5 millimeters in thickness. Now, I have recurring lower back issues, that have luckily not been so bad lately. This pounding up and down every three seconds wasn't going to do my back any good. Did I mention that Sanoa Island is about a thirty or forty minute boat ride from Bahibe? So, were going along, and the boat is pounding, and my back feels like someone is hitting it about every three seconds with a giant sledgehammer.

• Like 2

All I could think, was that this better be one spectacular beach that's on the other side of this excruciating boat ride... Awhile later, the island finally comes into view, and at least the pounding would be over. Also, I would be able to take off this stinky life preserver that was probably produced during the WWII era...

• Like 1