Postmodern Jukebox / Step One Dance Company Ship Schedules?

DFWGUYZ

I doubt that you will find such detailed entertainment information posted on HAL's website.

For me the best news, if they did post any information about the Step One Dance Company, it would be "we are changing entertainment directions and this Company will no longer be employed by us".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I doubt that you will find such detailed entertainment information posted on HAL's website.

For me the best news, if they did post any information about the Step One Dance Company, it would be "we are changing entertainment directions and this Company will no longer be employed by us".

Not a fan either.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

6 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Not a fan either.  

👍 ditto

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I also do not like the Step One Dance Company.  Surely HAL could come up with something better.  Even the old passenger talent show was better than nothing.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Add me to the list. Not interested in seeing them again.

I'm hoping PMJ will be on my cruise this winter. They've got an unusual style and I think they'd be fun to watch and listen to.

• Haha 1

My biggest complaint was that the LED screens behind the dancers were so bright that it was hard to watch sometimes, and I ended up with a headache. And while the quality of the dancing was excellent, the choreography got repetitive. 

I didn't hate it. Just didn't like it enough to want to see it again. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

A lot of "don't likes" and "not a fan". Could anyone describe exactly why?  Having not seen this new concept I have no idea what to think.  Thank you.

14 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

My biggest complaint was that the LED screens behind the dancers were so bright that it was hard to watch sometimes, and I ended up with a headache. And while the quality of the dancing was excellent, the choreography got repetitive.

The Nieuw Statendam's expensive high tech huge screens were put to extremely poor use as a background for the Dance Company.  The choreography was probably very good, but, I have no interest in that type of entertainment.  With the attempt to be fair with my opinion, I did not attend the Dance Company's first show on NS and guests with whom I spoke "loved it".  Because of what I had heard from other guests,  I attended their second show and I was seriously underwhelmed.  I would have enjoyed the time spent at Billboard on Board or the Rolling Stone Rock Room much more.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

A lot of "don't likes" and "not a fan". Could anyone describe exactly why?  Having not seen this new concept I have no idea what to think.  Thank you.

It reminds me of the "modern dance" shows from my high school days.  Lots of free motion, interpretative style motions, not really much "dancing" (ala Isadora Duncan).  Or some sort of variation of Mummenschanz

Image result for mummenschanz - youtube

Lots of bright lights shining/flashing directly into the audience, also.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

It reminds me of the "modern dance" shows from my high school days.  Lots of free motion, interpretative style motions, not really much "dancing" (ala Isadora Duncan).  Or some sort of variation of Mummenschanz

Image result for mummenschanz - youtube

Lots of bright lights shining/flashing directly into the audience, also.

Sounds a lot like very modern style dance.  I remember when ballet went from original ballet to "dance" and so many were disappointed. This sounds like a change in a similar direction.  Your description is very good.  Thanks!    I'll look forward to seeing both these performances some day.  

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

On Eurodam this past week, Step One consisted of 6 dancers and no singers.  They performed very safe dance moves with a light show as the backdrop.  It was nothing spectacular at all.  At one point, the lights just flashed around for about a minute with no dancers on stage.  It was kinda awkward.  In fact, I'd say it's a "step one" down from your typical cruise ship dancers show.  

The second show was the same 6 dancers performing some weird relationship themed dance with a bistro as the backdrop.  I walked out of that one because I found it very boring.  

It's obvious that this "Step One" routine is just another HAL money saving cutback where they just put 6 mediocre dancers in front of a bunch of flashing lights.  

• Like 4

Thanks for the opinions. I hope these disappointments have been noted on the surveys and production departments are aware. It would be nice if there were input about Postmodern Jukebox by those that have seen it.

Check out HAL forum "Postmodern Jukebox on Deck on Rotterdam"  started on July 15 for more info on these performances.

Have seen PMJ  and the dance company - not a fan of either. Miss the singers and dancers!!

Edited by cruisinteach2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, cruisinteach2 said:

Check out HAL forum "Postmodern Jukebox on Deck on Rotterdam"  started on July 15 for more info on these performances.

Have seen PMJ  and the dance company - not a fan of either. Miss the singers and dancers!!

Thanks!

I really enjoyed Step One Dance company’s first show, “Humanity,” on Nieuw Statendam back in April, and thought the choreography and quality of the dancers was outstanding. The lighting effects in that theater were wonderful. I especially loved a segment with “Dust in the Wind” as the music accompanying the dancers. 

The second show was not as good, and I think a lot of people who went after hearing rave reviews after the first were wondering what the attraction was.

There’s a little clip on HAL’s website. https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-activities/cruise-entertainment/step-one-dance-company.html

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I really enjoyed Step One Dance company’s first show, “Humanity,” on Nieuw Statendam back in April, and thought the choreography and quality of the dancers was outstanding. The lighting effects in that theater were wonderful. I especially loved a segment with “Dust in the Wind” as the music accompanying the dancers. 

The second show was not as good, and I think a lot of people who went after hearing rave reviews after the first were wondering what the attraction was.

There’s a little clip on HAL’s website. https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-activities/cruise-entertainment/step-one-dance-company.html

Thanks for the link and your opinion.  Excellent!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Looks fine to me. Thank you.