Must we have our cabin 'cleaned' twice a day?

clo

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

we asked  on one cruise not to leave the floor mats/cloths  at night  ..I had to speak to the supervisor  in order for the  stewardess to be able to skip leaving them

Then she would leave them some nights...  they just do things automatically  sometimes

I gave up & just put them on the table for her 😉

On the cruise we just got off of there were no little cloths on the floor at bedtime. I wonder if they are doing away with this. Wouldn't bother me if they did. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

On the cruise we just got off of there were no little cloths on the floor at bedtime. I wonder if they are doing away with this. Wouldn't bother me if they did. 

I hope so

They are not really slip resistant so to me not useful

23 minutes ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

like a tea towel on each side of the bed. We told our stewardess not to bother with them, no problem.

+1

They were instituted at the insistence of the slipper brigade who get nauseous at the prospect of stepping onto a carpet unshod.   

I'm another who wouldn't mind losing them.  They are just an irritation.  They end up being bunched up and a bother.  If they were a heavier fabric they MIGHT be useful ... but I still don't see the need.  The fabric is so light that they serve no purpose at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StanandJim said:

+1

They were instituted at the insistence of the slipper brigade who get nauseous at the prospect of stepping onto a carpet unshod.   

+ 1   Such delicate feet they must have.  🙄  J

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, StanandJim said:

+1

been there forever. 

On 10/1/2019 at 4:54 PM, KS&JW said:

If you hang up the towels they will not replace them.  Those towels we wanted refreshed we placed on the floor or in the tub.  They do different things in the evening 'cleaning'  This cleaning is when you get the currents or anything else that is distributed to the cabins.

Apologies, I’m clearly not a true left coast/tree hugging, green leaning environments, as I like having the fresh towels replaced each evening as well as the chocolates.

However, despite the above failings, I’m a bit horrified by the amount of waste paper that must generated each day.  Inevitably there is the currents, the port overview, the 4 page newspaper summary, the multi-page inserts promoting future cruises and various cards indicating that the deck is being washed, the clocks being moved back or forward.  This is further exacerbated if you receive the full sized newspaper printouts that can be upwards of 50 pages (complimentary in the upper cabins) where you receive all the advertising inserts related to property/cars etc as well as the core newspaper.

I hate to think how much paper is wasted each day.  Sure the majority of this information can be provided electronically......

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Baandb said:

Apologies, I’m clearly not a true left coast/tree hugging, green leaning environments, as I like having the fresh towels replaced each evening as well as the chocolates.

Do you treat yourself to fresh towels at home?  We don't so it matters to me.

And, lordy, do I agree with you about waste of paper!

11 hours ago, RJB said:

been there forever. 

I must say that I always wear slippers in my cabin and always bring slippers or wear socks in ANY hotel. My feet never touch what the next person brought in. It just creeps me out. I can laugh at myself about it. I also have a no shoes policy in our home. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I must say that I always wear slippers in my cabin and always bring slippers or wear socks in ANY hotel. My feet never touch what the next person brought in. It just creeps me out. I can laugh at myself about it. I also have a no shoes policy in our home. 

Thank you for reminding me that there are cootie-phobic people and you're entitled to that.

Edited by clo

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Is this your custom at home as well?

Of course not......

But then again, at home, I also have to make my own bed, cook my own meals, do my own dishes, pour my own drinks arrange my own entertainment - and all the myriad of other activities that the wonderful Oceania staff do for me when I’m holiday.

By the way,  I’m a bit bemused that this thread is dominated by sentiments related to looking generous the wonderful stewardesses.  However, the actual work is performed by the faceless team working in the laundry.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Baandb said:

Of course not......

But then again, at home, I also have to make my own bed, cook my own meals, do my own dishes, pour my own drinks arrange my own entertainment - and all the myriad of other activities that the wonderful Oceania staff do for me when I’m holiday.

And how is this relevant to help saving the environment which reusing the towels aims to do?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

And how is this relevant to help saving the environment which reusing the towels aims to do?

With all due respect, I suggest the environmental impact of not washing a towel is dwarfed by the other environmental impacts associated with the cruising industry.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesellsmoor/2019/04/26/cruise-ship-pollution-is-causing-serious-health-and-environmental-problems/#4f0a86ec37dbI

2 hours ago, Baandb said:

With all due respect, I suggest the environmental impact of not washing a towel is dwarfed by the other environmental impacts associated with the cruising industry.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesellsmoor/2019/04/26/cruise-ship-pollution-is-causing-serious-health-and-environmental-problems/#4f0a86ec37dbI

Conversely, if the hundreds of thousands of cruisers on all the ships changed their towels less frequently, imagine what impact that would have.

We all should do our share - it all adds up little by little. 

One towel doesn’t matter but hundreds of thousands or millions do 😀

Edited by Paulchili

10 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Do you ever go to the beach and walk on the sand in bare feet or go swimming in the ocean?  Probably a lot worse there than you could find on your cabin floor. The ocean or even a public pool might be the worst.  Think about it.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RJB said:

Do you ever go to the beach and walk on the sand in bare feet or go swimming in the ocean?  Probably a lot worse there than you could find on your cabin floor. The ocean or even a public pool might be the worst.  Think about it.  

Let them walk on the tea towels and wear their booties.

Then, when the rest of us live beyond the Apocalypse because we've built up our immune systems-

Cruising will be cheaper and less crowded!!!  😜

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RJB said:

I love to walk the beach, public pools gross me out, as well as public hot tubs. Wearing slippers in our cabin is because I will never forget being on O in Morocco.  Prior to boarding the ship after our tour, they had you rinse your shoes in disinfectant. I threw my shoes in the trash can and many also put their clothes right into the bathtub.

Also, many of my dear girlfriends also wear socks or slippers in hotel rooms. I am not the only weirdo. :)) 

I love to walk the beach, public pools gross me out, as well as public hot tubs. Wearing slippers in our cabin is because I will never forget being on O in Morocco.  Prior to boarding the ship after our tour, they had you rinse your shoes in disinfectant. I threw my shoes in the trash can and many also put their clothes right into the bathtub.

Also, many of my dear girlfriends also wear socks or slippers in hotel rooms. I am not the only weirdo. :)) 

Not so weird.  My BW also will not walk around the cabin or hotel room without slippers.  Me not so much.  Still think how dirty the beach is.  Just saying.