Breakfast in The Yacht Club

masscruiser2010

12 hours ago, Captain-John said:

6.30 - 9.00 on port days and 7.30 until 9.30 on sea days on Preziosa last week.

I thought 9am was quite early to be closing a breakfast service.

I agree with such an early closing time.

I have yet to find a Breakfast Menu available for Yacht Club guests.  Any suggestions as to where to look?

We did miss breakfast in dining room a few times. Just went up to Top Sail and they have breakfast buffet available. (Meraviglia)

Once or twice, they were starting to clear breakfast when we arrived and still offered to make eggs to order for us. Quickly asked for  fresh OJ as it seems to be available only a breakfast. They really do try to accommodate their passengers, IMHO.

Edited by phissy

51 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I agree with such an early closing time.

I have yet to find a Breakfast Menu available for Yacht Club guests.  Any suggestions as to where to look?

Check out current thread - Preziosa YC review -Mediterranean by Captain John posted today. Lots of pics of food and menus.

Edited by phissy

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I didn't get a picture of one from my most recent cruise on Preziosa, but it was identical to the menu on Meraviglia in May so I've posted that below for you.

IMG_20190512_232226.jpg.a840ca62aace006c

• Like 2

8 hours ago, phissy said:

Quickly asked for  fresh OJ as it seems to be available only a breakfast

That's definitely true on Preziosa, I tried to ask for some around 14:00 one day to be told it was only served at breakfast. I thought I had it later than this on Mera, but I might be getting confused.

11 hours ago, Captain-John said:

That's definitely true on Preziosa, I tried to ask for some around 14:00 one day to be told it was only served at breakfast. I thought I had it later than this on Mera, but I might be getting confused.

That's one use for the in cabin fridge!

3 hours ago, hamrag said:

15 hours ago, Captain-John said:

I didn't get a picture of one from my most recent cruise on Preziosa, but it was identical to the menu on Meraviglia in May so I've posted that below for you.

IMG_20190512_232226.jpg.a840ca62aace006c

Thank you!   Was a pastry tray presented soon after you were seated or did the bakery selections need to be ordered?

What was your experience having breakfast at the Grill on the ship's Sun Deck?

12 hours ago, hamrag said:

Top tip! Thanks, I'll need to remember to do that in future.

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If my taste buds didn’t fool me, they serve fresh-squeezed.... That could be why it’s only available at breakfast. 

Yes it's freshly squeezed I'm talking about. I don't see how this can only be done at breakfast time though - it's surely a commercial grade juicing machine (such as shown in the corny video below). I've seen these machines used any time of day elsewhere on demand....

Thank you!   Was a pastry tray presented soon after you were seated or did the bakery selections need to be ordered?

They circulate with baskets of pastries and you choose what you want (similar to the bread basket at dinner).

We didn't do this I'm afraid. I think there were yoghurts, cereals, fruit, bacon, egg and a couple of other hot things out on the deck at breakfast time.

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

For us, the breakfast there is poor and the cooked offerings look much like the non-YC buffet breakfast provided to the rest of the ship! The only way to go is the YC restaurant for breakfast. For lunch, the grill is good in hot weather climes and the meats/fish are cooked to order including large shrimp, lamb, steak and sea bass.....also a great atmosphere around the grill at lunch. That said, there is still nothing like the YC restaurant for lunch but we would always change clothing to go so the end-to-end process will most likely take about 90 minutes.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hamrag said:

That said, there is still nothing like the YC restaurant for lunch but we would always change clothing to go so the end-to-end process will most likely take about 90 minutes.

I appreciate knowing this as well as your advice about the YC Grill for breakfast.

A slightly different question about the YC Restaurant for dinner on Formal or Non-Formal Nights on the ship:  I assume that wearing a tux on Formal Nights is really the appropriate attire.  On Non-Formal nights, what's the dress usually observed?

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I appreciate knowing this as well as your advice about the YC Grill for breakfast.

A slightly different question about the YC Restaurant for dinner on Formal or Non-Formal Nights on the ship:  I assume that wearing a tux on Formal Nights is really the appropriate attire.  On Non-Formal nights, what's the dress usually observed?

The dress code in the YC is the same each night. Formal wear (tuxes, etc.) is rare anywhere on the ship. If you want to dress up that is fine, but a coat, with or without a tie, will be fine. Seems to be the same on all mainline cruiselines now. I have not taken even a tie for years.

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

They do not have formal nights as such, rather they are 'gala nights' one night on a seven night cruise. Tux wearing is rare, although I have seen a very few but you would really stand out. Much more normal is for some men to roll out a jacket (no tie) on gala nights, but 75% would not wear a jacket. In warm climes, I would wear a smarter full sleeve collared shirt (no jacket) on gala nights preferring short sleeve collared shirt generally....I have never felt out of place, or had my DW say 'wear something else'!! For women, who always dress better than us, a full length gown would be even rarer than a man in a tux but overall very smartly dressed. 

Smart (resort) casual is the dress norm for dinner, and a little smarter on gala night for some....but most make no difference. The way people dress in YC restaurant is broadly similar to the rest of the ship as far as I have noted.

I've had eight Yacht Club cruises in the past five years and confirm tuxedos are a rarity.  I usually pack a dark suit with a couple ties or a blazier.  My impression has been that YC guests dress more smart casual than what you see on the lower decks (a range from tuxedos to track suits/tee shirts, etc.).  The blazier usually works fine for me, with or without a tie.  The important thing is to wear what you want, but for the gala evenings dress a little nicer. 

p.s. DW usually wears a nice dress or a pant suit.

Edited by Capricruiser

I agree, Charles!  DH wore his tux on the first 'Elegant' night (Captain's night) on Seaview last month (I wore a gown).  We were sniggered at by a group in t-shirts & shorts who were 'allowed' to dine in the YC restaurant.  🙄  Needless to say, the tux is staying home this week, but he's packed a sports jacket and blazer as well as dickie bows and ties.  It's nice to make a bit of an effort.

I have to admit, I was in the TSL in my daytime shorts around 17:15 one day..... just as all these very well dressed people started to filter in. There were definitely a few tuxedos on display. I had missed the fact there was some kind of cocktail party in the TSL as it was the Gala or Elegant night. That's way, way too early for us to be all dressed up so we finished our drink and left.

We didn't snigger at them though, and nor them us - although we did dash for one of the side exits rather than the main door!

We'd never dream of going to dinner like that either. We felt bad enough just being in the room with all of these well dressed people, even although we had been there first and they filled in around us. 🤣

When we were on Splendida last year, we were heading into TSL for a drink when DH was stopped.  It was about 5 minutes after 6pm and he was wearing shorts.  He had to put long pants on before we was admitted.  That was on a 28 night repo where you would imagine they would have relaxed the dress code.  Mind you, DH would usually have been wearing trousers at that time as we would dine around then. 

Edited by Beamafar