Tipping Quesiton

jimcara2003

Sorry if this has been asked already.  I always tip in addition to the automatic gratuities.  We are going with friends who have not been on a cruise before and they asked if they could take the standard gratuity off at the end of the cruise and tip on their own the last day and night.  I thought that you used to be able to go to guest services and ask them to take them off if you wanted but not sure if that has changed.

You can but I would have them read the breakdown of where tips go. It would be hard IMO to tip everyone it goes to leaving some people stiffed. It makes way more work for them waiting thru a big line at guest services and then hunting down the staff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jimcara2003 said:

Sorry if this has been asked already.  I always tip in addition to the automatic gratuities.  We are going with friends who have not been on a cruise before and they asked if they could take the standard gratuity off at the end of the cruise and tip on their own the last day and night.  I thought that you used to be able to go to guest services and ask them to take them off if you wanted but not sure if that has changed.

Pics-Art-10-13-12-35-07.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, jimcara2003 said:

please don't remove tips, they are shared by many people you will never see. If someone treats you well, tip additionally 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jimcara2003 said:

Maybe emphasize it would be impossible to find all the servers from the main dining room on all the other days of the cruise and they would be hosed.  

Since your friends have never cruised, do them a favor and tell them to leave the auto-gratuity on their bill and tip extra if they are so inclined.  They are obviously unaware that the auto-gratuities cover many people that work behind the scenes for their comfort and enjoyment.   And waiting in the long line at Guest Services to remove the auto-tip will be a BIG waste of their precious last day on board ship. 

P.S. ObstructedView2–I love it!

• Like 2

I've never even thought of doing such. Many people you don't come in contact with get a percentage of the tip pool. Taking your tips off and saying you're going to hand them out personally just sounds like your trying to stiff them or you're so controlling that you want to be in charge of who gets what (impossible without leaving many out).   

We had neighbors that we'd go out to dinner with that would always stiff the waiter or leave just a dollar. I and my husband would have to leave extra tip money to make up for our cheap neighbors. We no longer go out with them, they are an embarrassment. 
  • Like 2

Tell them to imagine wasting their precious vacation time running around to try to find all of the people who would share in the tip pool (Lido servers, housekeeping staff, etc.) who they may not come into contact with that last night.  That's not how I would choose to spend my last night on board, not to mention the amount of time necessary to stand in line and remove the gratuities.  Honestly, just keeping the auto-gratuities on not only means that all of the people who should get it do get it, but it also means that I don't have to waste a minute of my vacation.

OP, it may help your cruiser newbie friends to know that the laundry staff who fold the sheets and towels as they come out of the dryers also receive a portion of the monies distributed. Hearing this they may reconsider and follow the suggestion of the cruise line. This will save them a trip to the laundry 😉 

20 hours ago, jimcara2003 said:

Yes, you can just go to guest services to remove them and tip as you wish to whomever you want.    You can do that as soon as the tips hit your bill.

You will get a lot of opinions on why not to do it, I am just answering your question on if and how you do it.  

• Like 2

FYI-  if auto-grats are removed, any cash tips given to your room steward, waiters etc must be turned in to the tip pool so they would not get to keep the amt you give them anyway.  They would lose their jobs if caught not reporting the cash as management/supervisors are advised of those who have removed the auto-grat.  Conversely, if auto-grats are left in place,  then the steward/waiter is permitted to retain additional cash tips from passengers.

11 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Even though most people tip on the total amount, your in-laws are correct

Totally agree. We always tip on the pre-tax amount. If the service was excellent we over tip. But never in the state's portion of the bill.

I've noticed a lot of restaurants have a handy calculated tip suggestion with the percentage next to it, but it's always based off the total including tax. This is misleading and I think it's conditioning people to think they have to tip in the total amount instead of the food+drink amount.

Definitely make sure to educate your friends on how the gratuities are divided. But then just leave it to them. No need to be their conscience or have their tipping habits bother yours.

It reflects on them, not you.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 10:23 AM, jimcara2003 said:

Have you and your friends do the Behind the Scenes tour and you will get an excellent idea of how many people you never see to create your cruising experience. The tour is very informative. 

5 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

FYI-  if auto-grats are removed, any cash tips given to your room steward, waiters etc must be turned in to the tip pool so they would not get to keep the amt you give them anyway.  They would lose their jobs if caught not reporting the cash as management/supervisors are advised of those who have removed the auto-grat.  Conversely, if auto-grats are left in place,  then the steward/waiter is permitted to retain additional cash tips from passengers.

That is not true.   They are allowed to keep 100% of their cash tips, whether people have removed auto tips or not.

6 hours ago, Chervil said:

Totally agree. We always tip on the pre-tax amount. If the service was excellent we over tip. But never in the state's portion of the bill.

I've noticed a lot of restaurants have a handy calculated tip suggestion with the percentage next to it, but it's always based off the total including tax. This is misleading and I think it's conditioning people to think they have to tip in the total amount instead of the food+drink amount.

Definitely make sure to educate your friends on how the gratuities are divided. But then just leave it to them. No need to be their conscience or have their tipping habits bother yours.

It reflects on them, not you.

Have a great cruise!

I've noticed many businesses that traditionally didn't charge tips (take-out, counter service) now have a tip line in their register.  I've never paid close attention to the suggested amounts on the receipt, but you are probably right.  The flip side is when people have coupons/discounts and may or may not think to tip on the value of the meal vs. the cost of the meal.

yes you can.....BUT!!!  When you do that, you are not rewarding the team that clear the tables in the buffet, or the team that set the tables, or the folks who re-stock all the bars, or the team that support your cabin steward.  Yes you can, but you stiff a lot of staff that rely on the tips for their income...Please advise you friend prior to her making that decision.