Medallion with only Drivers License

tabprincess

My sister does not have a passport and is trying to register for Medallion.  The only option for ID is a passport, not a drivers license.  Must she wait till she gets to port?  She claims she had mastered it last week with a drivers license, but now when she goes in it no longer has the green arrows and is asking for a passport for ID.

4 hours ago, tabprincess said:

Crown Princess on Oct. 28, 10 days , Caribbean, "closed loop", so should not need passport.

She may have to finish checkin at the desk. She'll need her birth certificate in addition to DL if no passport. It shouldn't take too long. I think she can still print a boarding pass without having the ID completed.  She might check out ocean-dot-com to see if her birth certificate is accepted there. See both of you soon!!

• Like 1

One of the main reasons for traveling with a passport is if an emergency came up and she would have to leave the ship (by air).  Cross your fingers that it is a smooth voyage without any hiccups.

Good luck

She will have to wait until she gets to the port. She must meet WHTI requirements to travel by sea. In case of emergency she will not be able to fly home until the local US consulate issues her a passport or other document. Here are the rules copied from the CBP

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

• U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.
  • U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.
  • WHTI does not affect U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, who are still required to present their permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status.
  • Canadian citizens can present a valid passport, Enhanced Driver’s License, or Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST).
  • Bermudian citizens are required to present a valid passport.
  • Mexican citizens, including children, are required to present a passport with visa, or a Border Crossing Card.
  • U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

11 hours ago, tabprincess said:

Crown Princess on Oct. 28, 10 days , Caribbean, "closed loop", so should not need passport.

US State Department says a valid US Passport is required to enter Grenada and Dominica.  It looks like your cruise stops at both.  Be prepared that your sister may be denied boarding of the Crown without a valid passport.  The "closed loop" exemption only applies to re-entry to the United States.  Your cruise leaves in three days (over a weekend) I don't think there is enough time to get a passport.  You may want to call Princess and see if having a valid passport is a requirement for your cruise.  If it is, you may want to check and see if your travel insurance has a cancel for any reason provision.

For any number of reasons, anyone who wants to travel internationally should have a valid passport that will still be valid for at least 6 more months.  "Don't leave home without it..."

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 3

Yes,we are sailing in 2 days, flying down tomorrow. At least I am!  I told her to get a passport, and shd said she talked to Princess and didn't need one. But now this Medallion thing not accepting a driver's license is making me very nervous for her! 

19 minutes ago, tabprincess said:

Yes,we are sailing in 2 days, flying down tomorrow. At least I am!  I told her to get a passport, and shd said she talked to Princess and didn't need one. But now this Medallion thing not accepting a driver's license is making me very nervous for her! 

Why don't you give Princess a call and mention the cruise itinerary.  The question you need to ask is whether or not you can board the ship without a passport for that particular itinerary.  Your sister may have asked about a 'closed loop' cruise and wasn't specific about the itinerary.  Did you use a travel agent?  Give them a call too.  Good Luck!

I'm not sure if your itinerary stops at Bonaire or Aruba but it doesn't matter, both require a passport for entry as well as Curacao.  (The itinerary for your cruise on Princess' website shows Bonaire as a port of call on the map but lists Aruba instead on the itinerary under the map.)  At any rate, Grenada, Dominica, Curacao, Bonaire and Aruba all require a passport for entry.  They are all listed as ports of call for your cruise.

My sister called Princess and our TA again and both said she will be fine with just the birth certificate and DL.  Princess told her there is a problem with Medallion (shocking!) accepting driver's licenses and they are working on it. Princess told her we should still go to the Medallion line at the port, they will scan the license upon arrival.  I am hoping that this is all going to work out OK!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tabprincess said:

My sister called Princess and our TA again and both said she will be fine with just the birth certificate and DL.  Princess told her there is a problem with Medallion (shocking!) accepting driver's licenses and they are working on it. Princess told her we should still go to the Medallion line at the port, they will scan the license upon arrival.  I am hoping that this is all going to work out OK!!!

I hope so too.  I can say that I recently booked us on two 10-night Caribbean cruises for the Winter 2021 season.  The voyage that includes Martinique (not Dominica/Grenada) came with a different notice and requirements than the other itinerary.  We are doing a similar 10-night in less than two weeks and no special notice and no Martinique.  I think @Daniel A has islands confused.  The OP is fine based on the islands to be visited.  Princess advised them correctly.

I wish I could recall the exact information in the notices I received as pop-ups when first entering Cruise Personalizer, but I believe there has been a change coming at some date.  But definitely there was a WHTI notice for the one 2021 voyage.  I am sure Martinique is the trigger. 

This is the additional notice in our Travel Summary:

UPDATED PASSPORT REQUIREMENT

Please be advised that documentation requirements for your voyages have been updated. A valid passport is now required for all guests on this voyage. Guests without a valid passport will be denied boarding.
Your passport should be valid for six months after the completion of travel. Please ensure the name on your passport matches your name as it appears on your booking. Additionally, make certain that your passport contains blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If necessary, allow sufficient time to renew your passport and/or obtain additional pages.
There may be occasions where we retain your passport at check-in. This is to ensure that you are not inconvenienced by immigration clearance during your cruise in ports face-to-face inspection is not required. We recommend you bring a second government-issued photo ID if you wish to have one with you while in port, and to carry a copy of your passport photo page.

I realize we are Canadian (LOL), but I just don't understand anyone trying to travel without a valid passport anymore.  Even though there has been exceptions for Americans in closed-loop trips, what happens if have to leave the ship?  If you get a passport, you have no worries.  We also have NEXUS/Global Entry which is very useful. 

I find that Princess does a mostly excellent job in their FAQ area.  If you go to Princess website and look at "Preparing for Your Cruise"  (URL = https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp ), you will find this very detailed info under "Travel Document Requirements". 

Each guest is responsible for providing Princess Cruises® with complete and accurate immigration information. The Passenger Immigration Form (PIF) should be completed online using Cruise Personalizer®, upon confirmation of your booking.

Ensure your name appears exactly as shown on your travel document. If the name does not match, contact your travel agent (the travel agent must call in corrections if the booking was made through a travel agency) or the Princess Cruises Reservations Department at 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237). Please provide Princess Cruises with this information at least 45 days prior to your cruise. Failure to do so will result in delayed check-in and, possibly, denied boarding.

For non-US passport or non-US permanent residents disembarking in a US Port, the US Department of Homeland Security requires that before your cruise, you provide the address at which you will be staying in the US, post-cruise.

Travel Document requirements vary by destination and your citizenship. Below are document guidelines for both domestic and international voyages. Once a booking is made, you may view voyage specific requirements on the Cruise Personalizer

Document Requirements for US and Canadian Passport Holders

A valid passport is required for all international itineraries including Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, Europe, India, Central and South America, Panama Canal (partial and full transit), Caribbean voyages that visit Martinique or Guadeloupe, South Pacific, Tahiti and World Cruises. Although US and Canadian passport holders are not currently required to sail with a passport on most domestic itineraries (including Alaska, Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, and Mexico), Princess highly recommends they are carried.

If your cruise requires international air travel, including flights between the US and Canada, the Caribbean, Bermuda or Mexico, you will be required to present a valid passport when departing from or returning to the US by air. Even if your cruise does not involve air travel outside the US, should you be required to unexpectedly depart a vessel prior to the end of the sailing, a passport would be required to re-enter the US by air.  As such, Princess Cruises continues to strongly recommend that all guests are in possession of a valid passport.

For domestic itineraries for which a passport is not required, US and Canadian passport holders must present one of the following valid Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant travel documents at cruise check-in:

• Passport Book: Recommended travel document
  • US Passport Card
  • US or Canadian Issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • US or Canadian Issued Identification Card (issued to minors and non-drivers)
  • NEXUS Card Air travel is limited to participating airports
  • SENTRI and FAST cards
  • I-872 American Indian Card or Enhanced Tribal ID Card (ETC)

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

US citizens traveling on U.S. roundtrip or “closed-loop” voyages may also travel with an original certified birth certificate presented together with a valid government-issued photo identification. These voyages include:

• Alaska roundtrip from San Francisco or Seattle (roundtrip Seattle cruisetours excluded)
  • Canada/New England roundtrip from New York
  • Caribbean roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale^ or New York
  • Hawaii roundtrip from Los Angeles and San Francisco
  • Mexico roundtrip from Los Angeles or San Francisco

^Voyages that call to Central or South America are excluded and only Passports or WHTI compliant documents are accepted. All voyages that call to Martinique or Guadeloupe require a passport.

For information regarding WHTI compliant documents, visit the US Customs and Border Protection website.

US Permanent Residents are required to present one of the following at cruise check-in:

• Permanent Resident Card (ARC/I-55 card)
  • Temporary ARC/I-55 card and valid government-issued photo identification
  • Expired ARC/I-55 card and form I-797 and valid government-issued photo identification
  • Passport with “ARC” stamp in the passport

Canadian Permanent Residents are required to present a valid passport and Landed Permanent Resident Card at cruise check-in.

Non-US/Non-Canadian Passport Holders: A valid passport is required for all non-US and non-Canadian citizens for all itineraries.

Passport validity: Many countries require passports be valid for six months after the completion of your travel. Check your passport to verify it will be valid for this period of time. Please ensure the name on the passport matches the name on the booking. Additionally, make certain that your passport contains blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If necessary, allow sufficient time to renew your passport and/or obtain additional pages. US and Canadian passport holders sailing on a domestic cruise should ensure passports or other travel documents are valid through the completion of travel. There may be occasions where we retain your passport at check-in. This is to ensure that you are not inconvenienced by immigration clearance during your cruise and where face to face inspection is not required. We recommend you bring a second government issued photo ID if you wish to have one with you while in port.

There are over 7,000 Application Acceptance locations in the US. You may locate the one closest to you by going to the US Department of State website. The United States Postal Service also provides passport services. To obtain this information, go to the US Postal website to find a Post Office location, fees, and to download a passport application.

For information regarding Passport applications, please visit Department of State travel website or call the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778 (M-F, 5am - 5pm PST).

*This information is provided as general guidance. Because governmental travel requirements change periodically, you must check with your travel agent or the government authorities for all countries you will visit to determine or verify the actual requirements at the time of sailing. Princess assumes no responsibility for advising guests of such requirements.

3 hours ago, tabprincess said:

That's good to hear.  Best of luck and Bon Voyage!  :classic_smile: 

3 hours ago, steelers36 said:

I think @Daniel A has islands confused.  The OP is fine based on the islands to be visited.  Princess advised them correctly.

No, I  didn’t confuse any of the islands. 

According to the US State Department,  Bonaire’s entry requirements include : “All U.S. citizens must have a U.S. passport for all air travel, including to and from the BES Islands.  All sea travelers must have a passport or passport card.”

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/BonaireSintEustatiusandSaba.html

The US State Department did have a caveat on their web page for Dominica that the WHTI documents (DL & Birth Certificate) are sufficient for entry if arriving on a cruise ship.  Otherwise a passport would be needed.  (I missed that the first time around…:classic_sad:)

The US State Departments website states on their Aruba information :  Upon arrival in Aruba, you must have: “a U.S. passport valid for the duration of your stay; a completed Embarkation and Disembarkation Card (ED-Card); a return or onward ticket and proof of sufficient funds to cover your accommodations and food expenses during your stay.”  No exceptions were listed for cruise ship passengers.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Aruba.html

Curacao has the same requirements as Aruba:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Curacao.html

Whatever the case, I hope the OP got good information from Princess and she and her sister enjoy a wonderful cruise.  I was just passing along what the US State Department has to say about the matter.

3 hours ago, steelers36 said:

I hope so too.  I can say that I recently booked us on two 10-night Caribbean cruises for the Winter 2021 season.  The voyage that includes Martinique (not Dominica/Grenada) came with a different notice and requirements than the other itinerary.  We are doing a similar 10-night in less than two weeks and no special notice and no Martinique.  I think @Daniel A has islands confused.  The OP is fine based on the islands to be visited.  Princess advised them correctly.

I wish I could recall the exact information in the notices I received as pop-ups when first entering Cruise Personalizer, but I believe there has been a change coming at some date.  But definitely there was a WHTI notice for the one 2021 voyage.  I am sure Martinique is the trigger. 

This is the additional notice in our Travel Summary:

UPDATED PASSPORT REQUIREMENT

Please be advised that documentation requirements for your voyages have been updated. A valid passport is now required for all guests on this voyage. Guests without a valid passport will be denied boarding.
Your passport should be valid for six months after the completion of travel. Please ensure the name on your passport matches your name as it appears on your booking. Additionally, make certain that your passport contains blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If necessary, allow sufficient time to renew your passport and/or obtain additional pages.
There may be occasions where we retain your passport at check-in. This is to ensure that you are not inconvenienced by immigration clearance during your cruise in ports face-to-face inspection is not required. We recommend you bring a second government-issued photo ID if you wish to have one with you while in port, and to carry a copy of your passport photo page.

I realize we are Canadian (LOL), but I just don't understand anyone trying to travel without a valid passport anymore.  Even though there has been exceptions for Americans in closed-loop trips, what happens if have to leave the ship?  If you get a passport, you have no worries.  We also have NEXUS/Global Entry which is very useful. 

I find that Princess does a mostly excellent job in their FAQ area.  If you go to Princess website and look at "Preparing for Your Cruise"  (URL = https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp ), you will find this very detailed info under "Travel Document Requirements". 

Each guest is responsible for providing Princess Cruises® with complete and accurate immigration information. The Passenger Immigration Form (PIF) should be completed online using Cruise Personalizer®, upon confirmation of your booking.

Ensure your name appears exactly as shown on your travel document. If the name does not match, contact your travel agent (the travel agent must call in corrections if the booking was made through a travel agency) or the Princess Cruises Reservations Department at 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237). Please provide Princess Cruises with this information at least 45 days prior to your cruise. Failure to do so will result in delayed check-in and, possibly, denied boarding.

For non-US passport or non-US permanent residents disembarking in a US Port, the US Department of Homeland Security requires that before your cruise, you provide the address at which you will be staying in the US, post-cruise.

Travel Document requirements vary by destination and your citizenship. Below are document guidelines for both domestic and international voyages. Once a booking is made, you may view voyage specific requirements on the Cruise Personalizer

Document Requirements for US and Canadian Passport Holders

A valid passport is required for all international itineraries including Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, Europe, India, Central and South America, Panama Canal (partial and full transit), Caribbean voyages that visit Martinique or Guadeloupe, South Pacific, Tahiti and World Cruises. Although US and Canadian passport holders are not currently required to sail with a passport on most domestic itineraries (including Alaska, Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, and Mexico), Princess highly recommends they are carried.

If your cruise requires international air travel, including flights between the US and Canada, the Caribbean, Bermuda or Mexico, you will be required to present a valid passport when departing from or returning to the US by air. Even if your cruise does not involve air travel outside the US, should you be required to unexpectedly depart a vessel prior to the end of the sailing, a passport would be required to re-enter the US by air.  As such, Princess Cruises continues to strongly recommend that all guests are in possession of a valid passport.

For domestic itineraries for which a passport is not required, US and Canadian passport holders must present one of the following valid Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant travel documents at cruise check-in:

• Passport Book: Recommended travel document
  • US Passport Card
  • US or Canadian Issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • US or Canadian Issued Identification Card (issued to minors and non-drivers)
  • NEXUS Card Air travel is limited to participating airports
  • SENTRI and FAST cards
  • I-872 American Indian Card or Enhanced Tribal ID Card (ETC)

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

US citizens traveling on U.S. roundtrip or “closed-loop” voyages may also travel with an original certified birth certificate presented together with a valid government-issued photo identification. These voyages include:

• Alaska roundtrip from San Francisco or Seattle (roundtrip Seattle cruisetours excluded)
  • Canada/New England roundtrip from New York
  • Caribbean roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale^ or New York
  • Hawaii roundtrip from Los Angeles and San Francisco
  • Mexico roundtrip from Los Angeles or San Francisco

^Voyages that call to Central or South America are excluded and only Passports or WHTI compliant documents are accepted. All voyages that call to Martinique or Guadeloupe require a passport.

For information regarding WHTI compliant documents, visit the US Customs and Border Protection website.

US Permanent Residents are required to present one of the following at cruise check-in:

• Permanent Resident Card (ARC/I-55 card)
  • Temporary ARC/I-55 card and valid government-issued photo identification
  • Expired ARC/I-55 card and form I-797 and valid government-issued photo identification
  • Passport with “ARC” stamp in the passport

Canadian Permanent Residents are required to present a valid passport and Landed Permanent Resident Card at cruise check-in.

Non-US/Non-Canadian Passport Holders: A valid passport is required for all non-US and non-Canadian citizens for all itineraries.

Passport validity: Many countries require passports be valid for six months after the completion of your travel. Check your passport to verify it will be valid for this period of time. Please ensure the name on the passport matches the name on the booking. Additionally, make certain that your passport contains blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If necessary, allow sufficient time to renew your passport and/or obtain additional pages. US and Canadian passport holders sailing on a domestic cruise should ensure passports or other travel documents are valid through the completion of travel. There may be occasions where we retain your passport at check-in. This is to ensure that you are not inconvenienced by immigration clearance during your cruise and where face to face inspection is not required. We recommend you bring a second government issued photo ID if you wish to have one with you while in port.

There are over 7,000 Application Acceptance locations in the US. You may locate the one closest to you by going to the US Department of State website. The United States Postal Service also provides passport services. To obtain this information, go to the US Postal website to find a Post Office location, fees, and to download a passport application.

For information regarding Passport applications, please visit Department of State travel website or call the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778 (M-F, 5am - 5pm PST).

*This information is provided as general guidance. Because governmental travel requirements change periodically, you must check with your travel agent or the government authorities for all countries you will visit to determine or verify the actual requirements at the time of sailing. Princess assumes no responsibility for advising guests of such requirements.

The part about a minor child traveling with only one adult is good for people to know.  I would have never thought that if I went on a cruise without my husband and with my kids that they would need passports too.

44 minutes ago, Irule7 said:

The part about a minor child traveling with only one adult is good for people to know.  I would have never thought that if I went on a cruise without my husband and with my kids that they would need passports too.

Absolutely.  I have been aware of this

It is a security thing I imagine if anyone was hijacking kids.  I would also travel with a letter of authorization from the other parent that includes email and cell contact info.

Thanks everyone for all the comments, information and well wishes!  My sister rarely travels as she has a special needs adult child, hence no passport. I guarantee you though,  if she is ever able to travel with me again, I will insist she gets a passport so neither of us has to worry! 

I am done worrying about this now and all packed and ready to fly down tomorrow.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Daniel1313 said:

Get a Passport....  All of this is ridiculous.... 

It's so easy for some people to be negative and dismissive, but what is the point? Does it make you feel superior in some way? The discussion so far had been helpful and informative so I am going to be equally dismissive of you as you were of me and my genuine concern.  Jeez!

• Like 4

On 10/25/2019 at 8:07 PM, tabprincess said:

My sister does not have a passport   

Why?   😮

Rules, regulations, and other red tape things are constantly changing. 

But from what that Princess rep said, should be easy at embarkation. (I have a feeling tho, that the 2 of you will be kinda sweating it out during check in on the dock. So, once your sister is back at home, pressure her to apply for a passport. It's painless, and she might never know when she'll really need to use it.) 

Other than that, hope you and sis have a great time. Bon Voyage!   🙂