Deluxe Balcony or Balcony on Regal

styme123

I'm currently booked on guaranteed Deluxe Balcony on the Regal this summer to BI. Would you go with a regular balcony where you can pick your location and room or go with the larger room and Princess picking for you?  The price for the larger Deluxe Balcony is only $100pp. I like the idea of the added room, just not the idea I could be anywhere.

Also which deck has the most overhang? I burn easily. I was thinking the decks toward the top but was also worried about noise from the clubs/buffets. I was thinking about Caribe deck as I heard positive reviews about it for being quiet.

Thank you

There is equal overhang on all decks. Some cabins have angled balconies where part are not under the overhang. You can see these on the deck plans. I would avoid the cabins directly under the seawalk especially those on the upper decks. Sun on the balcony has more to do with the direction of the ship than with the balcony overhang.

11 hours ago, styme123 said:

I'm currently booked on guaranteed Deluxe Balcony on the Regal this summer to BI. Would you go with a regular balcony where you can pick your location and room or go with the larger room and Princess picking for you?  The price for the larger Deluxe Balcony is only $100pp. I like the idea of the added room, just not the idea I could be anywhere.

Also which deck has the most overhang? I burn easily. I was thinking the decks toward the top but was also worried about noise from the clubs/buffets. I was thinking about Caribe deck as I heard positive reviews about it for being quiet.

Thank you

The most overhang is mid-aft to aft on Marina Deck 15.  If it was me, I would book a regular balcony in that area (if available.)  I prefer my balcony shaded and in this area, the lido deck extends far beyond the balcony, making ours usable almost all the time.  

I do like having the extra seating area in the deluxe balcony, but it really isn't a lot of space.  

22 hours ago, styme123 said:

Thank you

Size difference is minimal.  The real difference is if you have a 3rd person in your room.  In a regular balcony the 3rd bed is a dropdown from above.  In a deluxe balcony the 3rd bed is a sofa bed that is made up, closed, then opened and turned down daily.  Also a regular balcony no longer seems to have the sofa in the room, only a desk and chair.  A deluxe balcony has the loveseat/sofa that all the balconies used to have.

21 minutes ago, katisdale said:

I have been sailing on Princess for 18 years and except for the Pacific Princess have never had a standard balcony with a sofa. There did used to be a barrel chair which was removed in the last year.

Correct no sofa in regular balconies.

Deluxe Balconies/Premium Deluxe Balconies with a sofa are only on Royal/Regal/Majestic/Sky.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

The most overhang is mid-aft to aft on Marina Deck 15.  If it was me, I would book a regular balcony in that area (if available.)  I prefer my balcony shaded and in this area, the lido deck extends far beyond the balcony, making ours usable almost all the time.  

I do like having the extra seating area in the deluxe balcony, but it really isn't a lot of space.  

I just re-booked and went with your recommendation of Marina Deck. I felt like it was worth it saving money and being able to pick where I wanted to be. The large overhang for me is very important as I burn so quickly. Thank you

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mamkmm2 said:

Size difference is minimal.  The real difference is if you have a 3rd person in your room.  In a regular balcony the 3rd bed is a dropdown from above.  In a deluxe balcony the 3rd bed is a sofa bed that is made up, closed, then opened and turned down daily.  Also a regular balcony no longer seems to have the sofa in the room, only a desk and chair.  A deluxe balcony has the loveseat/sofa that all the balconies used to have.

You must be confusing them with every other mainstream line. Princess is the only line that didn't have a small sofa in any stateroom below a mini suite category except on the newer ships where the deluxe balcony has one.  Now they are the only line without any chair except one at the desk.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, styme123 said:

I just re-booked and went with your recommendation of Marina Deck. I felt like it was worth it saving money and being able to pick where I wanted to be. The large overhang for me is very important as I burn so quickly. Thank you

Did you choose aft / mid aft?  I don't think the forward balconies have the extended coverage.  We've done this location twice and loved it.  We booked the same are on the Sky hoping for the same coverage.  Here's a shot looking aft from our mini-suite M522.  You can see how far beyond the railing that the Lido Deck extends.   A few months earlier we were on the Royal with a deck 14 balcony and noticed the extended coverage for balconies above us, so set our sights on that location.  

IMG_2823.JPG

11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

You must be confusing them with every other mainstream line. Princess is the only line that didn't have a small sofa in any stateroom below a mini suite category except on the newer ships where the deluxe balcony has one.  Now they are the only line without any chair except one at the desk.

I don't see how.  The only line that I've ever had a balcony on was Princess.  It could have been that the TA booked a "deluxe" but that isn't what we paid for.  Just a plain balcony.  We haven't done a balcony for a few years but we are doing one on our Baltic Cruise this coming summer. 

The forward balconies on Marina also have the extended overhang.   We sailed in one!

I just wanted to add that we would not book that again.  There was a considerable amount of motion up there, due to some very high winds that came thru.  And, for me, I became very tired of that HIKE to the cabin and back!!!

We did book one day in the Sanctuary, and spent time at the adult Retreat pool.  This was very convenient for those.  But not anything else!

2 hours ago, mamkmm2 said:

I don't see how.  The only line that I've ever had a balcony on was Princess.  It could have been that the TA booked a "deluxe" but that isn't what we paid for.  Just a plain balcony.  We haven't done a balcony for a few years but we are doing one on our Baltic Cruise this coming summer. 

I would guess that the TA was able to book you a mini suite at a balcony price. This happens occasionally, the lowest category minisuite is the same price as a higher category balcony.   It did for us years ago on our 1st cruise, we were able to upgrade to the mini suite at the same price. Talk about being spoiled!

29 minutes ago, knbcruisers said:

It did for us years ago on our 1st cruise, we were able to upgrade to the mini suite at the same price. Talk about being spoiled!

yep, Princess thru out the bait ( mini ) and then set the hook for future cruises on Princess ...MKTing 101...:classic_biggrin:

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

yep, Princess thru out the bait ( mini ) and then set the hook for future cruises on Princess ...MKTing 101...:classic_biggrin:

Well it worked....we can only cruise in a balcony or above, DH won’t consider ocean view.   We did one NCL cruise and DH said “ never again go back to Princess”.  We’ve got our friends hooked on Princess.  They booked an inside for their 1st Princess Cruise with us and got upgraded to ocean view.   They’ve now done 4 cruises with 2 more booked😄

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

Did you choose aft / mid aft?  I don't think the forward balconies have the extended coverage.  We've done this location twice and loved it.  We booked the same are on the Sky hoping for the same coverage.  Here's a shot looking aft from our mini-suite M522.  You can see how far beyond the railing that the Lido Deck extends.   A few months earlier we were on the Royal with a deck 14 balcony and noticed the extended coverage for balconies above us, so set our sights on that location.

That's exactly the large over hang I was looking for. We booked way back in aft almost at the end under the food court. The only thing that has me concerned now is I saw a photo of the decks from the back and the ship kind of tapers in. Don't know if we are too far back now. I couldn't find any other photos with different angles to see. 

• Like 1

This photo of the side of the Regal may help you.  If you are wanting to be under the larger overhang you don't want to be too far aft.  We had the last port side aft deluxe balcony cabin on deck 14 and the balcony was covered but not to the extent the cabins would be that are under the large overhang.   

DSC_2621.JPG

2 hours ago, rnff2 said:

This photo of the side of the Regal may help you.  If you are wanting to be under the larger overhang you don't want to be too far aft.  We had the last port side aft deluxe balcony cabin on deck 14 and the balcony was covered but not to the extent the cabins would be that are under the large overhang.   

DSC_2621.JPG

That picture is great! Yeah I can see I'm too far back. I wonder where the bump out starts in aft. I tried to move to middle but rooms are all sold out now:classic_sad:

On 11/9/2019 at 9:44 PM, styme123 said:

That picture is great! Yeah I can see I'm too far back. I wonder where the bump out starts in aft. I tried to move to middle but rooms are all sold out now:classic_sad:

It looks like you need to be in front of the aft stairs.  If you're not you will still have a covered balcony you just won't have the extra overhang.  Keep checking back I'm sure there will be available cabins especially right around final payment time.  

8 minutes ago, rnff2 said:

It looks like you need to be in front of the aft stairs.  If you're not you will still have a covered balcony you just won't have the extra overhang.  Keep checking back I'm sure there will be available cabins especially right around final payment time.  

Lol that's what I did first thing this morning. I'm in front of the steps now. Crisis avoided 🤣 My fair skin will be happy!