First time I received this ... Name matching exactly

AlexandNessa

Just now, njhorseman said:

And it just takes them a few seconds to do it. My travel agent changed my profile yesterday and as soon as I got off the phone my records for all 14 cruises (no joke...14)  I have booked were updated. By updating your profile the correct information will automatically populate your cruise reservation records.

NCL could save their reps and travel agents a lot of work by allowing you to enter your own middle name on line, but at present you can't. I think the problem took them by surprise so it will take a while for the website to be updated to permit you to do this on your own.

I suspect the real reason for this suddenly becoming an issue was not the cruises per se, but all the airline tickets NCL had been booking because of the fee air promotion. Probably a lot of passengers were having problems at the airport with airline tickets booked in names that didn't exactly match their ID.

Certainly up until now DHS really didn't care if there was a a slight discrepancy in the middle name for the cruise itself. The only thing they cared about was that the first and last names on the booking matched your ID. In fact NCL's email directly references that, not the middle name issue. The email directly addresses name changes due to marriage, divorce, etc. The middle name issue is only implied. 

And I do have airfare via NCL for two of my booked cruises. Fortunately, I have a little more time than some of the other folks that have posted to this thread to get necessary changes made. Perhaps NCL will get their website updated sooner than later that will allow us to edit/update our own account profiles as needed.

Thanks again, and enjoy all those cruises!

25 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I suspect the real reason for this suddenly becoming an issue was not the cruises per se, but all the airline tickets NCL had been booking because of the free air promotion. Probably a lot of passengers were having problems at the airport with airline tickets booked in names that didn't exactly match their ID.

Certainly up until now DHS really didn't care if there was a a slight discrepancy in the middle name for the cruise itself. The only thing they cared about was that the first and last names on the booking matched your ID. In fact NCL's email directly references that, not the middle name issue. The email directly addresses name changes due to marriage, divorce, etc. The middle name issue is only implied. 

I suspect you are correct that it is more an airline issue, as the "Real ID" enforcement is scheduled for 10/1/2020 (and I live in a non-compliant state, so my DL will not be adequate ID at that point!)

I got my middle name added through my TA no problem.  But I tried calling the airlines to get my tickets corrected and that's apparently an issue because I'm flying out on American and coming back on United but the tickets are tied together - same record locator number.  They (UA) are telling me that they can't make the change but "the airline will know when you get to the airport and go to check in"  So now I have to worry that because my passport doesn't match my boarding pass I'll have an issue.  At least I have about a month to see if I can get it corrected.

5 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I suspect you are correct that it is more an airline issue, as the "Real ID" enforcement is scheduled for 10/1/2020 (and I live in a non-compliant state, so my DL will not be adequate ID at that point!)

I got my middle name added through my TA no problem.  But I tried calling the airlines to get my tickets corrected and that's apparently an issue because I'm flying out on American and coming back on United but the tickets are tied together - same record locator number.  They (UA) are telling me that they can't make the change but "the airline will know when you get to the airport and go to check in"  So now I have to worry that because my passport doesn't match my boarding pass I'll have an issue.  At least I have about a month to see if I can get it corrected.

It makes more sense that the discrepancy (middle name initial only and not the full middle name) in how your name appears on your passport to how it appears on the airlines boarding pass would be a for sure issue. Not so much a boarding issue at the cruise ship terminal. My PCC did state that he knows of no one being denied boarding of an NCL ship as long as ones middle name initial is on the edocs. Bet it's a different story at the airport. 

On 11/8/2019 at 10:11 AM, AlexandNessa said:

This is maybe our tenth NCL cruise, but the first time we've received this. Our cruise docs have middle initials. Passports list full middle names. Wrote my TA to update, but I guess they're cracking down on these things? 

Thanks, just called NCL and updated my middle name.

Edited by mbleackl

1 hour ago, kdmbluerzr said:

It makes more sense that the discrepancy (middle name initial only and not the full middle name) in how your name appears on your passport to how it appears on the airlines boarding pass would be a for sure issue. Not so much a boarding issue at the cruise ship terminal. My PCC did state that he knows of no one being denied boarding of an NCL ship as long as ones middle name initial is on the edocs. Bet it's a different story at the airport. 

i actually called my airline after speaking with NCL and they said for domestic travel it is not an issue as of yet but starting next year they will have the same requirements

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smong said:

i actually called my airline after speaking with NCL and they said for domestic travel it is not an issue as of yet but starting next year they will have the same requirements

Did the airline indicate if that will take effect January 1st or....?

2 hours ago, Smong said:

she said starting 2020 so i would think so  better safe then sorry

35 minutes ago, kdmbluerzr said:

Did the airline indicate if that will take effect January 1st or....?

"Real ID" is effective October 1, 2020.  At that time you will need proper ID for domestic flights, as well as for some government buildings.  For most people, your driver's license will be fine (I believe it should say something like real ID somewhere).  Some states - like Oregon where I live - aren't compliant yet, so people without a "real id" license will have to have a passport even for domestic travel.

Per the airline earlier today, not having a middle name on a boarding pass is not a problem as long as first and last name match.  Got the same info from 2 different airlines, so I'm going with that for now and will make sure that all future travel plans are done with my full name - what a pain!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Your booking has to match your passport. If your passport has your full middle name your booking also has to have your full middle name. If your passport just has just a middle initial then your booking should just have your middle initial. 

Sorry but u are wrong.

On 11/9/2019 at 7:28 PM, njhorseman said:

OK...well please feel free to not comply. :classic_rolleyes:

Have not rec'd the above mentioned email and when called to upgrade, told the NCL agent bout this and he laughed and said not to worry.  Have 3 future cruises booked, first one in 4 weeks.  Just saying.

20 minutes ago, stormynow said:

Have not rec'd the above mentioned email and when called to upgrade, told the NCL agent bout this and he laughed and said not to worry.  Have 3 future cruises booked, first one in 4 weeks.  Just saying.

Amazing how everyone else who spoke to their agents, whether NCL or independent travel agents were told to comply. 

I don't understand why you wouldn't do it regardless of what that person told you. It requires no more effort or time on your part than the phone call you had already made.

By the way, if you haven't figured this out on your own yet there's a high percentage NCL customer service reps who are less than competent. It could have been your lucky day to get one of them on the phone.

• Like 4

I am guessing that some of this brouhaha is from the "new Real ID" driver license, I have a passport, a military ID, a renewed DL (Getting a California Driver's license  simply means that you are allowed to operate a vehicle within the state of California and to carry an identity card proving that fact. Obtaining a California Driver's license does NOT give you any sort of legal status in the United States.), a Global ID, and a TSA Known ID number. I am known through facial recognition (thanks Miami Port for allowing us to disembark by matching my face). Does this sound like an issue for NCL and a passenger getting on the ship - maybe but I think it is one of those things that have gotten out of hand. Should I receive a message I will go along because let's face it there are bigger things to be worried about , but I think this is something else going over the top. BTW I just sailed on another cruise line in May and I did not have my middle name on the boarding paperwork.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Amazing how everyone else who spoke to their agents, whether NCL or independent travel agents were told to comply. 

I don't understand why you wouldn't do it regardless of what that person told you. It requires no more effort or time on your part than the phone call you had already made.

By the way, if you haven't figured this out on your own yet there's a high percentage NCL customer service reps who are less than competent. It could have been your lucky day to get one of them on the phone.

Agree with everything you said.  This rep just didn't want to do it.  Will call pcc tomarrow and see what he does.

42 minutes ago, stormynow said:

This rep just didn't want to do it.  Will call pcc tomarrow and see what he does.

If you have a PCC, I don't know why you'd call anyone else at NCL.  In any event, we'll be on the Gem in early January (and the Jade next Fall).  We haven't received the emails mentioned in this thread (yet), but when I saw the thread on Friday I sent my PCC an email and he added our middle names to our reservations in a flash.   And when I checked our e-docs for the January cruise, which had been issued some time ago, they had been updated with our middle names.  Whether this was really needed or not, it was simple and fast to take care of.  No downside and all upside.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, adam_s_allen said:

If this is really needed NCL needs to update their website to reflect that. I did a mock booking as a “new user”. It only allows you to enter first and last name of passenger. 

This whole topic is a non issue i think. When you do the online check in and put in your passport number and then they swipe that passport into the check in at the terminal, your middle name is automatically added to your booking.

I just got off the Dawn on Saturday. All of my cruise documents had my first and last name and when i step onboard the ship i noticed my middle name was added automatically. I also noticed this in all of my previous cruises too in the past. 

So far i did not get any emails about this possible change, my Encore cruise still has my first and last name and i dont think they will ever be a problem if i forget to add my middle name in the future

1 hour ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

I just sailed on another cruise line in May and I did not have my middle name on the boarding paperwork.

I sailed on NCL four weeks ago and my middle name wasn't on the paperwork, but now they apparently want it. Just because something happened in a particular way yesterday doesn't mean it won't be different today. 

16 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i dont think they will ever be a problem if i forget to add my middle name in the future

Except that NCL has already told many of us it will be or they expect it to be and that we need to change our records. Maybe DHS is going to start enforcing that requirement on cruises in the near future and NCL is preparing for it. Or perhaps as I speculated earlier it's because they're issuing so many airline tickets because of the free airfare promotion that an increasing number passengers have found they were being given a hard time by TSA when using their NCL-issued tickets. At least in theory, subject to TSA judgement, for years now they have had the power to prevent you from boarding your flight if the name on your ticket doesn't match your ID. Perhaps they're enforcing that more strictly in advance of the REAL ID requirement coming into place next year.

I just don't understand statements like "I don't think they will ever be a problem". How could you possibly know what the government has planned. Maybe they've told NCL they're unhappy with their procedures and have warned them to change.

10 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

If you have a PCC, I don't know why you'd call anyone else at NCL.  In any event, we'll be on the Gem in early January (and the Jade next Fall).  We haven't received the emails mentioned in this thread (yet), but when I saw the thread on Friday I sent my PCC an email and he added our middle names to our reservations in a flash.   And when I checked our e-docs for the January cruise, which had been issued some time ago, they had been updated with our middle names.  Whether this was really needed or not, it was simple and fast to take care of.  No downside and all upside.

It was on the weekend and pcc didn't pickup.  Wanted to make the upgrade change b/4 rates changed.  Maybe I need a new pcc.

I will add into the chorus of people who saw this email and initially ignored it. 

I did book through an agent but after reading this thread on the weekend, called NCL directly on Saturday. The agent I got through their general number added our middle names to our documentation and told me that since we have air booked through NCL, she would have to contact the air dept. on Monday (they are closed on the weekend) to get that corrected as well. Am still waiting to hear back, as promised.

Interestingly, my booking documentation from my TA has always included our middle names but NCL has never picked it up for check-in documents... nor is there a place on NCL's site to add a middle name. If this is becoming the standard, they might want to add that field so passengers can manually add this info themselves.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 12:11 PM, AlexandNessa said:

This is maybe our tenth NCL cruise, but the first time we've received this. Our cruise docs have middle initials. Passports list full middle names. Wrote my TA to update, but I guess they're cracking down on these things? 

Screenshot_20191108-120426_Email.thumb.jpg.87b0ec5d8efc7eeed76a0ed9cad93344.jpg

Great tip.

Except now you've got me fully freaked out.

I'll be sussing this out with our account first chance I get tonight.