HAL Thanksgiving promotion

DaveOKC

Thank you for replying, MisterBill99. I do know that HAL always asks you to "sign in" to their site for possible discounts, but that has never worked for me, so they are probably referring to the mystery (as to who gets it) "Private Fare".  We don't get mailers or emails from HAL much; it appears that if you have a cruise booked, they don't send you anything, from what I've read here on CC.

5 hours ago, PSR said:

Thank you for replying, MisterBill99. I do know that HAL always asks you to "sign in" to their site for possible discounts, but that has never worked for me, so they are probably referring to the mystery (as to who gets it) "Private Fare".  We don't get mailers or emails from HAL much; it appears that if you have a cruise booked, they don't send you anything, from what I've read here on CC.

That's an interesting theory. I usually do not have one booked. The last two I booked 5-6 weeks out and had an outstanding FCD to use, and do not have any more booked after that.

14 hours ago, PSR said:

I do not get the "Private Fare" option when I log in and tried your Koningsdam 1/2/20 cruise suggestion. So I tried with my husband's log in. That also does not work, so I guess neither of us is eligible for the Private Fare option....is this related in some way to your loyalty status?  🤔

The private fares are for very specific sailings and one person’s offer may be completely different than another’s.  With the old website it used to be really easy to scroll through itineraries to see which one had a private fare or not.  This new system does not work that way so they’re nearly impossible to find unless you luck out or receive a snail mail (or sometimes email) with the information.  Do you check your junk mail folder regularly?  Sometimes I find mine in there.

5 hours ago, PSR said:

We don't get mailers or emails from HAL much; it appears that if you have a cruise booked, they don't send you anything, from what I've read here on CC.

That used to be true, in my case, but now I get them whether I have a cruise booked or not.

17 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I'm only 2*, so I'm not sure but it's certainly not due to some high level status. I tried to find an email with a discount code that you could try plugging in, but did not find one with that cruise listed. I think the general consensus here has been that there is no way of figuring ut who gets Private Fares and there is nothing one can do to get it if you have not been assigned it. Maybe someone more familiar with HAL can expound.

One thing - it is linked to a specifc person.  This week we got a Private Sale letter from HAL with BOTH of our names on it.  But when I tried to book a specific cruise, the fare was the "normal" one.  I logged out and then logged back in using my DW's account and then the Private Sale fare appeared!  About a 10% difference.  Crazy IMO.

• Like 1

It was explained to me by my PCC that once you have a HAL cruised booked, they no longer send promotional emails.  You can opt back in, however, by calling the Mariner Society and telling them that you'd like to continue to receive these emails.  That's what I did. 😊

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

One thing - it is linked to a specific person.  This week we got a Private Sale letter from HAL with BOTH of our names on it.  But when I tried to book a specific cruise, the fare was the "normal" one.  I logged out and then logged back in using my DW's account and then the Private Sale fare appeared!  About a 10% difference.  Crazy IMO.

Exactly! I was getting the mailings and not finding them when I checked online (however, my TA found it when entering both of our Mariner numbers). Then I decided to create an account for my wife and lo and behold I saw the offers. So I complained to HAL and they had someone look into it and arranged for my account to see them, and now I do. However, whatever they did broke my wife's account and she no longer sees then. Not a big deal since I'm the one who looks.

37 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Try https:hollandamerica.com/en_US/deals/black-friday.html 

Thank you, but I am trying to find an unrelated "Private Fare" option for a possible future cruise, rather than the Cyber Sale option.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 7:07 PM, PSR said:

Thank you, but I am trying to find an unrelated "Private Fare" option for a possible future cruise, rather than the Cyber Sale option.

Private fares are addressed to specifc people.  My wife got one, but I was not able to use it (unless traveling with her), so it is very restrictive.

4 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Private fares are addressed to specifc people.  My wife got one, but I was not able to use it (unless traveling with her), so it is very restrictive.

Except that our mailings are addressed to both of us, but only show up on one account (originally my wife's, now mine). And someone else reported the same thing. Actually, MANY people reported it in the thread I created a while ago to discuss the situation. I'm not sure what HAL would do if there was a situation like yours and only one of us wanted to book but it was not showing up on the account even though we had a mailing with both names.

Meanwhile either the private fare on the cruise I booked expired or there is something wrong with the HAL system because I am not seeing it today. I know they are limited time offers, and the price I had seen was supposed to expire a week and a half ago, but stayed and then went down by $100 (also showing as a private fare).

Edited by MisterBill99

On 11/29/2019 at 2:29 PM, Taters said:

It was explained to me by my PCC that once you have a HAL cruised booked, they no longer send promotional emails.  You can opt back in, however, by calling the Mariner Society and telling them that you'd like to continue to receive these emails.  That's what I did. 😊

Not true = I have two cruises booked and during the past week we have received TWO different mailings from HAL announcing Private Sales.

On 11/29/2019 at 4:17 PM, MisterBill99 said:

Exactly! I was getting the mailings and not finding them when I checked online (however, my TA found it when entering both of our Mariner numbers). Then I decided to create an account for my wife and lo and behold I saw the offers. So I complained to HAL and they had someone look into it and arranged for my account to see them, and now I do. However, whatever they did broke my wife's account and she no longer sees then. Not a big deal since I'm the one who looks.

4 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Except that our mailings are addressed to both of us, but only show up on one account (originally my wife's, now mine). 

Perhaps because you had them change it?^^  Maybe you could ask them to separate your mailings so you each get a heads up to different offers.  You probably already get them separately; you’re just not receiving the notifications to know it.

13 hours ago, westcoastcruiser said:

Even though it took over one hour, was worth it.  Got free gratuities added to our 3 booked cruises and prices dropped on two of the cruises so got those cost savings plus kept earlier perks!  Christmas came early for us!  

Wow! Good for you!

12 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Perhaps because you had them change it?^^  Maybe you could ask them to separate your mailings so you each get a heads up to different offers.  You probably already get them separately; you’re just not receiving the notifications to know it.

I did not do anything related to the snail mailings, they have always arrived with both names. While it would be interesting to split them and each get our own (and possibly different), I really don't need more cruise mail. As I have previously mentioned I did contact them when the offers were not showing up on my account (but were on my wife's). They forwarded my note to someone and they "fixed" things so the offers now show up on my account but not on my wife's.

Edited by MisterBill99

2 hours ago, leerathje said:

Well, no private fare, no drop in prices, but have booked Mexican Riviera for February 29.....whoo hoo!  just free grats, but haven't seen prices cheaper than this.  Took the leap, and now the planning starts!

Interesting.. I actually do have a private fare on that one (did not see it on my wife's account, as usual). I guess I shouldn't have told you that :(. Anyway, at least you got free tips and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

And I guess the private fare for my 1/2/20 sailing expired since I do not see it anymore and I now know that the private pricing is working.

Edited by MisterBill99

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Not true = I have two cruises booked and during the past week we have received TWO different mailings from HAL announcing Private Sales.

This is what was explained to me when I was not getting any more email promotions.  Perhaps you were already opted in somehow.  I do not appreciate being called a liar.

4 minutes ago, Taters said:

This is what was explained to me when I was not getting any more email promotions.  Perhaps you were already opted in somehow.  I do not appreciate being called a liar.

There is a big difference between being called a liar and being told that you are incorrect. And in your case,  you may have been given incorrect information and were only passing it along.

Customer service people often make things up to try to justify why something is occurring. Yesterday at CVS a $2 electronic coupon was not working and the manager told me it was because the item was only $1.99 and that was why it did not apply. I did not point out that the same coupon had tried to attach to a different $1.99 item a couple of days earlier (but I used a different coupon on it).

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1