Protecting valuables while snorkeling?

zitsky

I wonder if anyone has suggestions about how to protect your valuables while snorkeling or some activity where you and your spouse are in the water and away from your belongings?  We have a security bag to use when walking around but that doesn't stop someone on the boat from going through it.  I suppose we need to take some id (passport?) but we shouldn't need credit cards or cash.

Maybe I'm naive, but I figure any operation where people are going through bags and taking things is not going to stay in business for long thanks to things like forums, the book of faces, and Trip Advisor.

But I also don't carry a ton of crap with me either. My photo ID, ship key card, and a SMALL amount of cash. *Maybe* a credit card, but not likely.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

I've never worried about our belongings on a boat. If something went missing, the list of suspects would be short, and I'm guessing the crew wouldn't jeopardize their jobs to root around in bags hoping for a windfall. Your DL, sea pass card and ?credit card? are waterproof, so could just go in the pocket of your swim suit if it has one. Or just buy a waterproof case- all kinds of them on Amazon.

• Like 1

As far as protecting valuables while on excursions we choose to err on the side of caution. Accordingly, we spent a few bucks on a bag that offers a good deal of piece of mind. We tend to go off and our own thing which often has us concerned about valuables. We picked up this bag and while no option is perfect, this one gives us some sense of relief while we enjoy our time. This bag does have a padlock function but obviously you'd need to attach it to something like a beach chair/lounger.

Edit: The best part is that it has a cooler in it!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074G4KPXV/?coliid=I1H5DF223P43HA&colid=30TS475U1VPCV&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Edited by Weenah

DW and I frequently rent a car when cruising and head off to snorkel on our own. Typically, we have our passports, sea card, a credit card, some cash, drivers license, medical cards, iPhone, car keys and a pair of prescription glasses. If we are snorkeling in an area with a lot of broken corral or sharp rocks at the entry point, we also have a couple of pairs of water booties. After years of snorkeling and scuba diving, we have a selection of waterproof boxes to choose from, but generally take two, one that holds our passports, my iPhone and the glasses. Everything else fits in a very small box that fits in my bathing suit pocket. Both boxes have positive buoyancy when in use. If we wear the booties to enter the water, we also take a small mesh bag to hold the booties and both boxes and let it float behind me on a tether.

You might find this short article from Tropical Snorkeling worth reading: https://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/waterproof-snorkeling-bag.html  If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably go with their option # 3 because of the versatility. You'll also find that the website has a lot of other useful information, and I've been a subscriber for a number of years.

We have waterproof bags to carry the seapass card, a credit card and some cash. It's like a lanyard and I will wear it while snorkeling, with the strap around my neck and the bag under the swim vest. We also have a waterproof camera with a wrist strap that we bring.  

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

I wonder if anyone has suggestions about how to protect your valuables while snorkeling or some activity where you and your spouse are in the water and away from your belongings?  We have a security bag to use when walking around but that doesn't stop someone on the boat from going through it.  I suppose we need to take some id (passport?) but we shouldn't need credit cards or cash.

I don't worry about my items because others are  also on vacation and I trust them.  I typically bring my SeaPass Card and a few dollars when I go on these excursions.  Never my passport or wallet. However, when I go on snorkeling excursions, they are typically on a boat with a private crew.  However, if I am at a local beach, I may look for a locker to rent for a few hours.  Never had a problem with theft over many excursions

I would not expect this to be an issue.  There are normally people that stay on the boat.  I would expect that they would catch someone if this were  to happen.  However the people on the excursion are rather well off and have paid thousands for a vacation.  I would not expect them to be petty thieves either.

Edited by NMTraveller

Go get yourself a vacation vault.  It is lockable to a chair and me and hubby usually lock it to both ours chairs.  This way someone would have to drag 2 chairs around and that would be suspcious.  It will fit cash, phones, cards, etc.  It will not fit a bridge camera or bigger.  We use the one that looks like safego although ours does not have a key.  My son used it at sleep away camp and he is in his 20's now so it has lasted a long time.

Edited by bucky0926
spelling

I just got back from a Cozumel snorkeling excursion.  I was worried about the same thing.  The only thing we brought with us (besides the snorkel gear since we wanted to use our own) was our sea passes and copies of our passports, a towel from the ship, reef safe sunscreen (even though we were forbidden to use it!), a waterproof camera, and tip money for the tour people.  Nobody messed with our stuff.  The other people were snorkeling right along with us.  Of the crew members, one drove the boat, and 3 were in the water with us, so nobody would have had the chance to steal anything.  We adored our snorkeling excursion! It was amazing! I hope your excursion is wonderful as well!  Have a great holiday!

• 1 year later...