Splendor Has A GodMother

DeepFreeze63

She's a super model. Christie Brinkley (born Christie Lee Hudson; February 2, 1954) is an American model, actress and entrepreneur. Brinkley gained worldwide fame with her appearances in the late 1970s Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issues, ultimately appearing on an unprecedented three consecutive covers starting in 1979. She spent twenty-five years as the face of CoverGirl, has appeared on over 500 magazine covers, and has signed contracts with major brands—both fashion and non-fashion.

Thinking outside the box:  

Why not a Godfather?  Like, someone who makes an offer to potential--or past--Regent cruisers that can't be refused.  

I will default to the idea "floated" in this regard to Cruise Director John Barron back in 2017.  That was incident to his being CD during Explorer's initial itinerary from Miami, via Barcelona, to Venice.  During that delightful BTB, mentioned my suggestion that the next ship should be named--Terminator.  Like, perfect.   Obliterate the competition with the most wonderful cruise ship(s) ever launched in the history of the world.   

And, how about Arnold ("Terminator") S. as the Godfather?   Regent wants to court clients for return visits.  So--Arnold would break the champagne bottle (not over someone's head); then intone:  

"I'll be Baaaaaak!"

John initially demurred.   He did, however, mention this concept later in the Theater to an audience waiting for Regent's CEO to conduct a Town Hall forum.  Let us just say there was a mixed audience response. 

Anyway--

We will be aboard Splendor at San Diego, en route to Miami.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alidor said:

Surely they could have found somebody better than her.

And someone that people around the world might at least recognise.  Her Serene Highness Charlene of Monaco (the swimmer!) was certainly one of those.  Malala Yousafzai - Nobel Peace Prize winner - would have been a great choice IMO !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are so many issues with this selection - none of them positive.

Sometimes I really wonder what they are doing down there in Miami - there are SO MANY people who would have been a far better choice - I guess they wanted a pretty picture to hang in the reception area

Christie Brinkley is a universally beloved icon who is synonymous worldwide for her beauty, style and commitment to health and happiness,” said Jason Montague, president and CEO of Regent Seven Seas Cruises. “It’s fitting that the Godmother of Seven Seas Splendor reflects timeless elegance, vitality and sophistication, as Regent has perfected all the details of luxury onboard Seven Seas Splendor.We are deeply honored that Christie will christen our newest ship and delighted to welcome her to the Regent Seven Seas Cruises family.”

It is interesting that Jason mentions that Christie is a "universally beloved icon", yet from emails I have received from Regent friends who live overseas it seems to indicate that she is really not well known outside of the US, and possibly not well known in the US - my Mom, who is extremely well read, but I don't think has ever read a "People" magazine, asked me who she is.

I have no idea who she is.  Or what she has done.  Aside from this thread.  Either not my generation OR she is very American.  Nothing wrong with that but I fail to understand why this "Godmother" business...   Seems like a waste of time and money for Regent.  When you (or I) board a ship do we ever, once, ask ourselves "who is the Godmother" ??

13 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Malala Yousafzai - Nobel Peace Prize winner - would have been a great choice IMO !

We believe that Celebrity Cruises already has her as Godmother of the Celebrity Edge.

As an aside, a trivia point we thought about is that Christie sort of has an attachment to the sea, as she has a daughter named Sailor.  

17 hours ago, kjbacon said:

On a brighter side, Christie Brinkley is well known to be a timeless beauty and is lesser known for being a talented artist. 

6 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We believe that Celebrity Cruises already has her as Godmother of the Celebrity Edge.

As an aside, a trivia point we thought about is that Christie sort of has an attachment to the sea, as she has a daughter named Sailor.  

But her former husband, Billy Joel, is a talented artist. 

While most people know Billy Joel and are aware of his musical talent, not many people know that Christie Brinkley indeed is an artist as well. For example, she painted the River of Dreams album cover that won her the Rolling Stone award for best album cover of the year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kjbacon said:

While most people know Billy Joel and are aware of his musical talent, not many people know that Christie Brinkley indeed is an artist as well. For example, she painted the River of Dreams album cover that won her the Rolling Stone award for best album cover of the year. 

Yes, she is an artist in her own right as you stated.  She also had a leading role on Broadway in the musical Chicago; in London in the West End; several US TV sitcoms; plus she is a great activist for the environment, animal and human rights.  She is certainly a different choice than the godmother of the Explorer, but nonetheless a deserving choice by Regent.  Don't think it matters that some folks have never heard of her. 

What's with all the hating on Christie Brinkley?  Those of you dissing her must have missed the great Sports Illustrated covers a few years back.  She's as least as accomplished as Princess Charlene, whose claims to fame are some swimming success and marrying well.  Christie may not be as well known outside the U.S. as she is in her home country, but what percentage of Regent passengers are American?  50%?  75%?  More?  I believe her portrait will grace the main salon of the new ship beautifully!

17 minutes ago, fluckey said:

I believe her portrait will grace the main salon of the new ship beautifully!

And if her picture is in "main salon," maybe they can move the picture of the Mariner's godmother out of the crew areas and back to the Atrium.

Marc

Marilyn Carlson (Sister) - Seven Seas Navigator

Arleen Carlson (Mother) - Seven Seas Mariner

Barbara Carlson (Sister) - Seven Seas Voyager

Carlson family used to own Radisson Hotels, Regent Hotels, Carlson Wagonlit Travel, and of course Radisson Seven Seas Cruises.

edited to correct Mariner godmother and add the two other godmothers.

Marc

Edited by mrlevin