"No Show" TBA vs Named Cruiser?

amanda219

Anyone have any experience with this?

We have 1 room on our Feb cruise that booked with the lead cruiser & a TBA for second cruiser. He's waiting to see how things go with a girlfriend, but will most likely be cruising solo. He's aware he will be paying both fares regardless & final payment has already been made.

I've learned from these boards that the best approach is just to "no show" with a cruiser unable to make it. He would receive taxes/port fees back once we set sail.

Question is can we just leave it as TBA vs adding a name and it still be treated the same for a "no show"? Do we need to replace the TBA with someone's info?

I appreciate all the info I've learned here & would love to hear about any personal experiences with this.

Thanks in advance,

Amanda

This same kind of thing happened to us a couple of years ago on the Breeze.  Our entire family went - we had four rooms.  My nephew backed out the day before.  He was sharing a room with my 23 year old son.  I posted and got advice to definitely NOT cancel as they could reassign his room based on occupancy.  This was not an option as I had worked to get all the rooms on the same deck and my nephew would lose the money whether we reported or not.  When we checked-in we weren't all together and told them more would be arriving later.  They called my son on his cell phone around 3:00 and asked where the other person in the room was as he had not checked in .  My son told them honestly that he started wavering the day before and that he had begged him to go ahead and come but had not heard from him all day.  They called again at 3:30 and said that they tried to call him and he didn't answer so they were marking him as a no-show.  My son agreed and then enjoyed a room to himself for the entire cruise.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

You can  not have a TBA (a name will need to be on that paper at least 72 hours before sailing) 

and it will be cheaper for your friend to book a solo cruise-   paying twice the cruise fare but only one time for port and taxes.   He could add the G/F later    and just pay the taxes and port charges to add her

12 minutes ago, serene56 said:

You can  not have a TBA (a name will need to be on that paper at least 72 hours before sailing) 

and it will be cheaper for your friend to book a solo cruise-   paying twice the cruise fare but only one time for port and taxes.   He could add the G/F later    and just pay the taxes and port charges to add her

For a no-show, you get taxes and port fees back, it is the same thing, and changing to solo at this point could (unlikely) force a changing of room potentially.  The only difference is you pay the taxes and port fees, and then get them refunded.

Thanks for the replies. I think we will add a name (instead of TBA) & let them be a "no show" if he, in fact, decides to cruise alone. 

Sincerely appreciate the community here. People are so awesome at sharing experience/knowledge. 

22 hours ago, rukkian said:

For a no-show, you get taxes and port fees back, it is the same thing, and changing to solo at this point could (unlikely) force a changing of room potentially.  The only difference is you pay the taxes and port fees, and then get them refunded.

as long as they are paying that solo fee   they can not move the people

1 minute ago, serene56 said:

as long as they are paying that solo fee   they can not move the people

They are already booked in a room with 2, switching that at this point, could cause a room change.  Even though it is unlikely, what is the benefit, other than getting the port fees and taxes back now instead of after they sail?

It doesnt make any difference.

Just clearing up if you are paying a solo rate-- you ARE paying for two people cruise fare-- you will not be moved.

BUT if you booked a cabin for 3 people-- and cancel one you will be moved to a 2 person cabin

• Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 6:49 AM, 5 in OK said:

This same kind of thing happened to us a couple of years ago on the Breeze.  Our entire family went - we had four rooms.  My nephew backed out the day before.  He was sharing a room with my 23 year old son.  I posted and got advice to definitely NOT cancel as they could reassign his room based on occupancy.  This was not an option as I had worked to get all the rooms on the same deck and my nephew would lose the money whether we reported or not.  When we checked-in we weren't all together and told them more would be arriving later.  They called my son on his cell phone around 3:00 and asked where the other person in the room was as he had not checked in .  My son told them honestly that he started wavering the day before and that he had begged him to go ahead and come but had not heard from him all day.  They called again at 3:30 and said that they tried to call him and he didn't answer so they were marking him as a no-show.  My son agreed and then enjoyed a room to himself for the entire cruise.

Hope that helps.

Same. My two adult children were going with us. My DD decided not to go. We told check in she would arrive separately. They called the room and DS told them she's not going. All was well. Got back taxes, pre paid gratuities & port fees.

• Like 1

We were advised by PVP to book with only our son, as he didn't know if anyone would be able to go with him.  Then, if you decide to add someone to the cabin, you're good to go and no change fees to just add a person.  Only extras would be the port fees & grats for the additional person.  As it turned out, he went alone anyway.

38 minutes ago, dmdiver said:

We were advised by PVP to book with only our son, as he didn't know if anyone would be able to go with him.  Then, if you decide to add someone to the cabin, you're good to go and no change fees to just add a person.  Only extras would be the port fees & grats for the additional person.  As it turned out, he went alone anyway.

There is a small risk in this if you wait too long the ship could reach capacity life boat wise and then you would not be allowed to add a name despite having an empty spot in your room.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dmdiver said:

Did he book solo from beginning or have a "TBA"?

Haven't had much time to catch up with thread today. We were booked on Mardi Gras 15 day out of New York. Unfortunately, lots of regrouping/rethinking today 😔 

Super disappointed, but always try to find silver linings. We are looking at a sailing out of San Juan instead.

Appreciate all the information. Thanks

I was booked solo, a friend of mine decided to come along, so I added him.  Now, he doesn’t know if he can go as he recently moved and started a new job.  He hasn’t checked in as of yet.  I did on-line check-in before adding him.  If he doesn’t complete his on-line check-in and doesn’t go, can I use the boarding pass I printed prior to adding him?  Hope this makes sense.

I've cruised solo several times and booked as a solo.  My sister and I are booked on a cruise next month, but she will not be sailing (long, boring story).  My plan was to just advise the person checking me in that my sister will not be sailing.  Would this cause me any issues?

I've read several posts advising that you should just tell the check in staff that she should be checking in later - but, I really don't understand why I should do this.  Why have them call me and try to call her when I know that she won't be checking in?  Am I missing something?  

2 hours ago, sc4125 said:

I've cruised solo several times and booked as a solo.  My sister and I are booked on a cruise next month, but she will not be sailing (long, boring story).  My plan was to just advise the person checking me in that my sister will not be sailing.  Would this cause me any issues?

I've read several posts advising that you should just tell the check in staff that she should be checking in later - but, I really don't understand why I should do this.  Why have them call me and try to call her when I know that she won't be checking in?  Am I missing something?  

If you tell them at check in that she is not going, they could impose the 100% single supplement fare. Far better to just tell them she is checking in later.

1 minute ago, tonit964 said:

If you tell them at check in that she is not going, they could impose the 100% single supplement fare. Far better to just tell them she is checking in later.

But the single supplement fare wouldn't be more than the 2-person fare already paid, would it?  My PVP said that the only reason not to cancel before sailing is that they could charge a $50 fee (not sure for what) and that there would be no extra charge when I tell them that she won't be making the cruise when checking in - they will just credit my charge card for her taxes and port fees - but my PVP has been wrong in the past - lol.

I just hate to put the check in staff through making calls (and also don't want to deal with a call myself) when I know that she won't be making it.  

51 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

But the single supplement fare wouldn't be more than the 2-person fare already paid, would it?  My PVP said that the only reason not to cancel before sailing is that they could charge a $50 fee (not sure for what) and that there would be no extra charge when I tell them that she won't be making the cruise when checking in - they will just credit my charge card for her taxes and port fees - but my PVP has been wrong in the past - lol.

I just hate to put the check in staff through making calls (and also don't want to deal with a call myself) when I know that she won't be making it.  

The double fare has already been paid but if you cancel her at check in, you are now a solo and they could make you pay the single supplement, even though they already have her fare.

They may not but I wouldn't want to risk it.

The same thing happened when my adult son & daughter were booked. She decided not to go but just to make things simple, he told them she was checking in later.

Either way, have a great cruise!

4 hours ago, tonit964 said:

As someone that cruises SOLO frequently, I can assure you that just paying for the cabin whether it be for one or two is PAID. Whomever paid for the cabin paid DOUBLE the DO rate already. This is the same rate as if he/she had booked the cabin SOLO. The key is by "not showing up for the cruise" that half of the full cabin price is FORFEITED. The only issue would be who is going to get the refund of taxes and fees which will come later.

If the person that actually sailed paid for the 2nd passenger that didn't show he/she will get the taxes and fees refund. If the 2nd passenger that didn't show paid for her/his passage she/he will get the taxes and fees refund.

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 1