RCI UK - no more flights or hotels on website - why?

38anchor

Not booked through RCI for a while but just pricing up a couple of cruises and I can see the website has changed. Nothing wrong with that but it seems you can no longer add flights or hotels. This was such a useful tool as sometimes the 'package' had really good flight deals so made it a better deal than booking DIY. Is the only way now to phone up or am I missing something? 

1 hour ago, 38anchor said:

Not booked through RCI for a while but just pricing up a couple of cruises and I can see the website has changed. Nothing wrong with that but it seems you can no longer add flights or hotels. This was such a useful tool as sometimes the 'package' had really good flight deals so made it a better deal than booking DIY. Is the only way now to phone up or am I missing something? 

As with everything Royal Site, they take away precruise options. Heres link we use in US. Not sure same for you: http://www.cruisingpower.com/choiceair/protected/home.do

One of the reasons why I wont do RCCL out of Southampton is they do a lousy job with hotel packages a year in advance.

Twice I changed reservation back to US port.

They claim hotels get booked up by other agents and companies which is a joke.

I can go on various non cruise websites and find London hotels even 60 days before a cruise.

Funny while planning trip to Canaries for this past Sept, I sailed with Celebrity who had no issues with hotel pkgs that included transfer to ship.

Yet their sister company RCCL could not provide same offer even a year in advance.

Me thinks that RCCL does not have same negotiations with London that Celebrity.

9 hours ago, normannna said:

I tried to price up a cruise on the UK site earlier and was nowhere for me to add my C&A to show my diamond plus balcony discount.

You have to go all the way through to booking - putting in names etc and there is an option there to add C&A number. Bit of a faff just to get a price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, normannna said:

Thanks.  Used to be able to get to discount price earlier and hadn't thought of going further.  Agree it's a real faff as I like to compare US and UK pricing as sometimes UK is cheaper or shows cabins being available that US site does not.

Is this still the case since the enhancements?

2 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Is this still the case since the enhancements?

Not sure.  Certainly UK site was less expensive for the Dubai cruises I booked a couple of months ago.  Hadn’t noticed any changes on the site except inability to put C&A numbers in up front.  I never found flight and hotel options to give decent prices so used to skip that option mostly.  For my recent Dec cruise I had to book through UK site as showing lack of availability on US site but that was booked maybe 4/5 months ago.

6 minutes ago, normannna said:

Not sure.  Certainly UK site was less expensive for the Dubai cruises I booked a couple of months ago.  Hadn’t noticed any changes on the site except inability to put C&A numbers in up front.  I never found flight and hotel options to give decent prices so used to skip that option mostly.  For my recent Dec cruise I had to book through UK site as showing lack of availability on US site but that was booked maybe 4/5 months ago.

Thanks!

The UK site used to be useful for showing extra cabins, especially if looking for two together, but neither US or UK site is worth the hassle for using on a daily basis. 

There are much more user friendly sites for cAsual browsing and so I haven’t found the need to check out UK site since it was “updated”.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, 38anchor said:

You have to go all the way through to booking - putting in names etc and there is an option there to add C&A number. Bit of a faff just to get a price.

However there is still nowhere to put in the code to show the 340 point solo discount now. 🤷‍♀️
It is a pain in the a to have to fill in all names etc just to see your c&a discount. 

18 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I don't believe so.

Sorry but never too sure to how to answer a question put in the 'negative'. Much fewer cabins are now being shown as available or offered for booking. I refuse to believe that only 18 balcony cabins were available to book on Anthem in May 2021.

11 hours ago, little britain said:

However there is still nowhere to put in the code to show the 340 point solo discount now. 🤷‍♀️
It is a pain in the a to have to fill in all names etc just to see your c&a discount. 

There has been a relatively short exchange of tetchy emails between me and various departments in Miami/Guatemala - in short they admit the omission was an 'oversight' and will be corrected.

Regards,

Cublet

9 minutes ago, cublet said:

There has been a relatively short exchange of tetchy emails between me and various departments in Miami/Guatemala - in short they admit the omission was an 'oversight' and will be corrected.

Regards,

Cublet

Because on the previous front screen there were 2 distinct separate fields for C&A and for discount codes ....
and some bright spark made the conscious “oversight” to remove these....!? 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

I have also had email exchanges regarding the website failings and lack of functionality.

They 'must' be aware of people's frustration?

I am becoming convinced that Royal want to push people to using an agent.

Edited by icsys

1 hour ago, icsys said:

I have also had email exchanges regarding the website failings and lack of functionality.

They 'must' be aware of people's frustration?

I am becoming convinced that Royal want to push people to using an agent.

Would not surprise me.

2 hours ago, cublet said:

Much fewer cabins are now being shown as available or offered for booking. I refuse to believe that only 18 balcony cabins were available to book on Anthem in May 2021.

So what? Welcome to the new normal where RCI is withholding info.

It’s just so frustrating that RCI doesn’t seem to want or be interested in helping the customer with booking with them. The website is not customer friendly and must put so many people off.

Personally having booked with 3rd party vs rci direct I will ALWAYS want to book direct if possible - unless the savings are too much to ignore. Having been on too many cruises where I have needed to change things after initial booking and not being able to talk to rci direct has caused us sooo many problems.

We nearly always book direct but usually phone instead of using the website and have never had any problems. I talk it all through with them, ask if certain cabins are available, sometimes add flights (usually find they offer good prices for re- positionings) and get them to email the invoice while I'm still on the phone. I find it much easier than dealing with their website which has never been any good.

9 hours ago, kernow said:

We nearly always book direct but usually phone instead of using the website and have never had any problems. I talk it all through with them, ask if certain cabins are available, sometimes add flights (usually find they offer good prices for re- positionings) and get them to email the invoice while I'm still on the phone. I find it much easier than dealing with their website which has never been any good.

I do exactly the same but usually book my own flights and transfers plus make a note of the booking agents name and telephone extension should I need to change anything.

Also I have written down a check list of everything I need to confirm with them at the time of booking.

Ship sail date stateroom ( s ) dining sitting crown and anchor number.

Any extras drinks packages dining packages MTD time excursions entertainment gifts that I may need I then normally book direct on the cruise planner.

Doing it this way I’ve never had a problem.