Big Ships (Riviera) vs. small ships (Regatta)

molemaui

2 hours ago, StanandJim said:

I do not consider the Windstar boats to be in the same luxury league as the R ships.  Their cabin  bathrooms make those on the R ships look like Ballrooms.

FWIW I also find their "Chariots of Fire" sail away routine to be inane and mindless.

You must not have been on one of the former Seaborn yachts then. The bathroom in the standard stateroom are very large, have double sinks, and tubs in all cabins. All of the cabins have a large walk in closet and all stateroom are suites of 277 sq feet of cabin space. Very few verandas, but on a small ship you don't need them as you are never far from an open deck.

The sail away music is not from "Chariots of Fire". It is the theme from the movie "Hunt for Red October". When you are on one of the sailing ships and they do the sail away ceremony at night, with the sails lit up, it is very dramatic. Windstar is the best alternative for a small ship experience without getting into the Siversea/Crystal/Regent category and high prices. I go back and forth between Oceania and Windstar for my cruises, with an occasional Princess thrown in depending on where I am going. After 50= cruises over my life so far, I rate O and W as my 2 favorite cruise lines and recommend both to my friends.

9 hours ago, susiesan said:

You must not have been on one of the former Seaborn yachts then. The bathroom in the standard stateroom are very large, have double sinks, and tubs in all cabins. All of the cabins have a large walk in closet and all stateroom are suites of 277 sq feet of cabin space. Very few verandas, but on a small ship you don't need them as you are never far from an open deck.

Seabourn got rid of those ships because cabins without verandas are a drag in the modern luxury market.

Windstar bought them cheap and modified them in a particularly tacky manner. 

Their pool decks manage to be both hideous AND ridiculous.

IMG_7888.jpg

The R ships, even those not operated by Oceania are far, far superior 

Insignia-Pool.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, StanandJim said:

I do not consider the Windstar boats to be in the same luxury league as the R ships.  Their cabin  bathrooms make those on the R ships look like Ballrooms.

FWIW I also find their "Chariots of Fire" sail away routine to be inane and mindless.

Plus no walking track on Windstar. Very important feature for my exercise minded DW.

22 hours ago, ORV said:

Bermuda, docking in Hamilton or St George vs Royal Dockyards. 

O class ships could certainly dock in Hamilton if they should choose. Current Oceania itineraries only show Insignia docking there, However, I have seen 1250 passenger HAL ships dock right in downtown Hamilton and P & O 1800 + passenger ships are on the schedule to dock there next month.

48 minutes ago, edgee said:

O class ships could certainly dock in Hamilton if they should choose. Current Oceania itineraries only show Insignia docking there, However, I have seen 1250 passenger HAL ships dock right in downtown Hamilton and P & O 1800 + passenger ships are on the schedule to dock there next month.

Ok, I assume either the 2 or 3 times I've been there on an O ship they preferred to dock at the Royal Dockyard, or there wasn't availability at Hamilton. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Ok, I assume either the 2 or 3 times I've been there on an O ship they preferred to dock at the Royal Dockyard, or there wasn't availability at Hamilton. 

I wonder because I would chose Hamilton over Dockyard any day. .

HAL Statendam class - Veendam  is 57092 tons with 101 ft beam and 719 ft length

Oceania Marina is  66084 ton with 106 ft beam and 785 ft length

Here is a pic of Veendam arriving in Hamilton Bermuda

Veendam arriving in Hamilton Bermuda.JPG

30 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

It may also depends on wind and sea conditions.

I would imagine That docking Marina in Hamilton in strong winds would be a bigger challenge than docking her in Dockyard.

P & O Aurora will dock in Hamilton on February 18. It weighs 76,152 tons with 885 ft.  length and 110ft.beam. Sounds like a challenge but this is done routinely.