As we say goodbye to plastic straws here are the straws that will be available soon on all the ships from most of the bars

theeddie

36 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Good lord, don't give them any ideas. They already took advantage of the situation and started selling the stupid reusable straws. How about they take some of the money saved from eliminating plastic items and profiting from reusable straws, and funnel it into bringing back more stewards & wait staff.

It is probably all going to the fines for dumping trash in the ocean.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 4:39 PM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

On the Breeze the only straws they had were the sugar straws. The coffee bar used metal stirrers that after you used you put in a used container. I think I saw wooden stirrers at Red Frog or Alchemy. I’m glad I didn’t bother bringing straws with me because after the first day the no straw thing was a non issue. I got used to not using a straw very quickly. I think it’s really a bigger deal here on CC then it is in reality.

I've found that I can do without a straw for most situations.  I always used straws before.  An easy change for me.  I can't figure out how they are doing mixed alcoholic drinks. Any input?  The way it has been done for decades....ice, booze, mixer, stirrer and passed to consumer.  Now what do they do?  Do they use a stirrer to mix the drinks?  Do they do it the same old way and you receive an unmixed drink?  I don't order my drinks directly at the bar for the most part, so how would you know?  Doesn't seem well thought out to me.     

23 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Three weeks ago on the Liberty, paper straws were not provided. They also refused to provide a sugar straw with soft drinks and only with alcoholic drinks. I ended up carrying my own plastic straws anywhere I went.

Two weeks prior to that, unlimited paper straws provided on the Independence of the Seas. Currently onboard Coral Princess and paper straws are provided upon request without any issues. For 4 days, paper and plastic products will be banned shipwide (including cups and plates — replaced with ceramic) while in Antarctica. No worries though... I brought plastic straws with me.

So other than that Mrs Lincoln how was the play (cruise)?

On 1/7/2020 at 10:16 AM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

My question is, what do you do with reusable straws after you finish your drink? Run to a bathroom immediately to rinse it out? Walk around with a sticky, drippy straw? What do guys do without a purse to stash them in?  

We brought our own metal straws on our cruise last Nov.  The straws we bought were foldable, an had a case with a carabiner clip that we just clipped to our lanyards.  When we were done using them, I would fold it up and put it back into the case.  I drank lots of fruity, frozen drinks, and honestly the stainless steel didn't get all that sticky.  When we were back in the room I would rise out the straw, and use the included brush to clean it out.  I would also rinse out the case.  I guess if things were really sticky, you could just wipe it on a napkin, but it wasn't really that big of a deal in practice. 

My husband wasn't sold on the straws before we left, he was one of you all that complained endlessly about taking straws away.  However- after the cruise even he admitted how easy it was to use a reusable straw, how it was seamless and didn't impact his vacation.  Getting a straw with a case and clip is really the key, just about everyone wears a lanyard anyway, clipping a straw case to it isn't a big deal. 

On 1/5/2020 at 8:09 AM, TrinaLC said:

The environmental footprint of a metal straw taking into account ore mining, smelting, converting, trucking and packaging is probably thousand times worse!

but those things don't adversely affect the sea turtles - it's those pesky plastic straws. insert eye roll....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Oh, it totally is an initiative to be more revenue producing. Why else would they refuse to provide a paper or sugar straw with soft drinks and offer a metal or silicone one for purchase? 

Your starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

We ate in a local Bonefish restaurant a few nights ago.  Their biodegrable straw held up throughout the duration of my club soda, about 1/2 hour.

Wow a half hour on a club soda, that is impressive. 

On 1/4/2020 at 10:13 PM, adventuredancer said:

so i teach at a science museum and we of course teach about resusable stuff and no single use plastics. of course sometimes you can't avoid them. but we have come across paper, sugar, metal, reuseable plastic, pasta straws.

we decided to test them all. and of course the paper and  sugar melted. so we tried freezing them in a regular freezer, freezing them with dry ice, and freezing them with liquid nitrogen. (we sometimes go off on the deep end of a rabbit hole in our curiosity).

freezing them in a regular freezer did make the sugar last longer, but not a whole lot. it didnt make a difference with the paper.

dry ice: sugar lasted even longer. paper lasted less

liquid nitrogen: they both were initially more brittle. but they quickly warmed up and didn't make a difference.

probably the most interesting post in this thread. Straws....who knew? Thanks!

So Carnival is no longer going to be using plastic straws.  Over the past year or so I've stocked up and have several cases of them and will be bringing my own going forward.  Once the straw police decide to ban them, I'll be selling them on ebay.  I'll also travel with extra for anyone else on board that wants to use them.  I've already been successful doing this at local restaurants that went to paper straws.  Problem solved.

22 hours ago, TNT Wagner said:

So Carnival is no longer going to be using plastic straws.  Over the past year or so I've stocked up and have several cases of them and will be bringing my own going forward.  Once the straw police decide to ban them, I'll be selling them on ebay.  I'll also travel with extra for anyone else on board that wants to use them.  I've already been successful doing this at local restaurants that went to paper straws.  Problem solved.

I bet this slowly fades away in the near future.  The 'hippycrites' will move on to their next cause, probably saving the trees again after the push to go back to paper, and things slowly go back to business as usual.