Bring a travel mug?

coolio111

A coffee mug is a great idea, but no, we have never bothered to take one on a cruise.  As to water bottles and water it is not our thing.  That is why the good lord made beer, soda, crystallite, etc.  Just as an aside, we live in Puerto Vallarta for part of the year which is a major cruise port.  DW sits on our balcony looking at the walkway below  (known as the Malecon) and can generally pick out the cruise passengers because they carry water bottles.  Most of us who live here would never do that.

Hank

45 minutes ago, clo said:

So you're not into the whole "reuse, reduce, recycle" think I guess.

The plastic water bottles are recyclable, and AFAIK, the ships DO recycle them. At least the ship's that we sail on. Ashore, we try to dispose of empties in a recycle bin, or crumple them up and keep them in our day bag until we return to the ship. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mom says said:

The plastic water bottles are recyclable, and AFAIK, the ships DO recycle them. At least the ship's that we sail on. Ashore, we try to dispose of empties in a recycle bin, or crumple them up and keep them in our day bag until we return to the ship. 

Oh, I hear you. But there's a reason that "recycle" is the last word 🙂 I loved it that Oceania had large glass bottles in our cabin that got refilled each day. Our attendant realized we used a lot (filling our bottles from it) so she left us two.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mom says said:

But are you spending several hours away from your home, out in the hot sun, and not intending to drop into the local bars for a beverage?

Still wouldn't carry a water bottle in this town..  There are convenience stores on almost every corner that sell cold water and just about any other beverage for a lot less then you pay on the ship.  And it is cold....not warm from being lugged around.  Of course many here would prefer a nice cold beer or Margarita 

Hank

2 hours ago, clo said:

I have a dry mouth so I would be the exception. It was 19F here this AM and I still had my water bottle.

We drink a lot of water.  On the ship we each use a 24 oz SS water bottle (filled from ship cups) or have 2-3 ship cups at the table so we aren't getting up several times during breakfast and lunch for water.

On shore we take a 3L hydration pack/backpack combo which also holds a few essentials.  We would be the exception along with you.

ETA: I saw the 19F and read 19C - in cold weather I might drink more from the dry heat in buildings.

Edited by pacruise804

We take 20 oz SS insulated cups.  We mainly use them at night.  Filling them up with lemonade or ice tea and ice before retiring for the evening to place on the night stand.  I get dry mouth a lot at night on cruises and prefer something ice cold to drink.  At ports we usually just pick up a bottle of water at a local store if we need it rather than carrying our cups around with us.  I sometimes fill up my cup with iced tea if heading to the lido or our balcony to lay out as well.  

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never use water bottles .I assume I am in the minority.

I suspect that you probably are.😁   I have a good quality tumbler that I use for hot coffee when I have a long drive or I go fishing.   I do not bring water bottles or insulated cups on cruises.   

Edited by ldubs

On 1/15/2020 at 3:20 PM, clo said:

Oh, I hear you. But there's a reason that "recycle" is the last word 🙂 I loved it that Oceania had large glass bottles in our cabin that got refilled each day. Our attendant realized we used a lot (filling our bottles from it) so she left us two.

Probably filled from the tap in your sink. 😄

16 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

NCL has announced that they will no longer permit Single Use plastic bottles onboard (after a certain date?).

Will other cruise lines follow ?

I read somewhere that world wide , less than 30% of these Single Use plastic bottles are ever recycled.

Did I mention that I have shoes made by Rothys from recycled plastic water bottles?

70876656_2410059302403881_6004118964160954368_o.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Will other cruise lines follow ?

Other cruise lines have already reduced the use of single use plastic bottles by providing refillable glass bottles or they have specific water bottle refill stations. They still permit plastic bottles, but they don't provide them. Some still provide them at the exit when you go on excursions.

I don't think that poor countries have recycling facilities. We asked in Cambodia and the guide told us that one (1)  company collects recyclables.