Princess cruise transfer in FLL 5am

leaneff

Has anyone had the experience of taking a red eye from the West Coast to FLL and landing early the following morning?  We arrive one day before our Panama Canal cruise on the Island in March, and have booked a hotel and transfers through Princess.  The transfer is supposed to take us from the airport to the hotel, and then pick us up the following day and take us to the ship after an overnight stay in the hotel.  I am concerned as we land so early.  There was a pop up on the website that there are no transfers before 10am.  Have landed before 10am before and gotten a transfer, but never at 5am.  Will the hotel let us check in since Princess set us up this way?  And what time does the transfer to hotels start?

Thanks for any help from anyone who has done something like this before!

Lorraine

1 hour ago, leaneff said:

Has anyone had the experience of taking a red eye from the West Coast to FLL and landing early the following morning?  We arrive one day before our Panama Canal cruise on the Island in March, and have booked a hotel and transfers through Princess.  The transfer is supposed to take us from the airport to the hotel, and then pick us up the following day and take us to the ship after an overnight stay in the hotel.  I am concerned as we land so early.  There was a pop up on the website that there are no transfers before 10am.  Have landed before 10am before and gotten a transfer, but never at 5am.  Will the hotel let us check in since Princess set us up this way?  And what time does the transfer to hotels start?

Thanks for any help from anyone who has done something like this before!

Lorraine

I am thinking that check in for hotels around the port are usually not until 4pm or so because they are sold out most of the time and check out for guests leaving when you arrive is Noon. So I doubt there would be a room available until later in the day.

If the website says no transfer before 10:00am then thats probably what it is.

We have arrived a few times on a red eye and because of the inflated price Princess charges for the hotel package we always book our own hotel and get a Taxi/Uber/Lyft to the hotel.

Not sure where you plan on staying but most hotels close to the port on 17th St (Renaissance/Embassy Suites/Pier 66/Hilton Marina/Hyatt Place etc are within a $20 Taxi ride to and from the airport/port/hotel.

When we arrive so early we head to the hotel which most of the time will keep your bags until you can check in. We then try and find breakfast somewhere.

• Like 3

I agree you don't need a Princess Transfer and hotel in Fort Lauderdale.    Taxi's to the port and surrounding hotels are  cheap.   Less then a 20 minute drive.   I'm sure you can find a hotel in the area that  Keith mentioned above.    They are almost walking distance to the port.   A long walk but not far.   Far cheaper to book your own hotel.  

If you were going to some foreign port  I might look at a Princess transfer and hotel but not Fort Lauderdale.  Also agree that you will probably not get into a room until at least 2 pm.   

• Like 1

Hotel check in is 3-4 pm in that area. No need for Princess package. Contact hotel and ask if you can book a day room or if they will hold luggage while you go do something until 4 pm. Use taxi/ Uber

• Like 1

most hotels in that area have adopted the practice of charging for early checkin. Have noticed the hotels being used by the cruise lines are often chaotic with people waiting prior to normal checkin times.

You might have more luck getting a nice hotel a little distance away from the port on the beach. Taxi's are easily available and fairly inexpensive.

• Like 2

Also, we were through that airport very quickly. Nothing much will be open. We rent a car at airport and return to Port Everglades. They offer shuttle to ship. Gives you option to put your luggage in, sight see, shop, lunch then check in at 3-4 pm. Renaissance clearly states 4 pm check in. Have used Priceline to bid on hotel in that area. 

• Like 1

Transfer was the WORST ever! NEVER AGAIN 😡. Arrived at 8 am exhausted after NS from SFO. Bus finally showed up at 11am. Only some made it on. Others were 'assured' that the next bus would be there within a half hour. Should have taken uber or lyft

Added: re check in: have requested and recieved early check in b4. Ask your hotel

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

Wow!  This is why I love Cruise Critic!  Your responses were so helpful and specific.  Thanks for all your help everyone.   I do now recall the hotel we used last time with Princess was so crowded, the lobby full of tired and crabby folks waiting for their rooms.  Going to cancel the hotel and transfers with Princess, pick a nice hotel ourselves where we have a history and account, take an Uber there and hope for an earlier check in after dropping our bags and going out for a nice breakfast. No way I can hang at the airport until 11am!

• Like 4

Just now, leaneff said:

Wow!  This is why I love Cruise Critic!  Your responses were so helpful and specific.  Thanks for all your help everyone.   I do now recall the hotel we used last time with Princess was so crowded, the lobby full of tired and crabby folks waiting for their rooms.  Going to cancel the hotel and transfers with Princess, pick a nice hotel ourselves where we have a history and account, take an Uber there and hope for an earlier check in after dropping our bags and going out for a nice breakfast. No way I can hang at the airport until 11am!

Love that spirit!!!!    No stress and have fun.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, leaneff said:

You GO!!!  This is the best thing to do.

• Like 1

The Embassy Suites near the cruise terminal in Fort Lauderdale definitely has a left luggage service. I came in off a redeye from the West coast and called the hotel shuttle as part of a package to the hotel, rather than pay through the nose for a Princess transfer and they were happy to check my luggage until it was time to check in. I had requested an early check in and they even managed to bring that forward, so my luggage didn’t stay there for too long. 

I do recall the cluster in the lobby next morning as it appeared the entire hotel wanted to go to the terminal and most were using the hotel shuttle package. Next time I would opt for Uber/Lyft.

• Like 2

leaneff;  if you have status with Marriot or Hilton;  suggest you look at either the marriott or Hilton on the beach. It is a few miles north of cruise port; but in a much nicer beach area.  I have stayed at both the Marriott; the courtyard Marriott and the Hilton. Last year the cost for lyft to hotel was $12

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leaneff said:

Check out the Renaissance (Cruise port/17th St) its across the street from the port and if the ship is at Pier #2 you can walk there.

They will also watch you luggage until check in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, polmcs said:

The Embassy Suites near the cruise terminal in Fort Lauderdale definitely has a left luggage service. I came in off a redeye from the West coast and called the hotel shuttle as part of a package to the hotel, rather than pay through the nose for a Princess transfer and they were happy to check my luggage until it was time to check in. I had requested an early check in and they even managed to bring that forward, so my luggage didn’t stay there for too long. 

I do recall the cluster in the lobby next morning as it appeared the entire hotel wanted to go to the terminal and most were using the hotel shuttle package. Next time I would opt for Uber/Lyft.

We've used Embassy a couple of times and have always arrived in Ft. Lauderdale early in the morning. Embassy held our bags as our room wasn't ready but we were still able to get into our room around noon (even though check in is 4PM.) We didn't pay anything extra (but are Hilton Honors members, so maybe that helps?)  Get your shuttle ticket for the transfer to the pier when you check in to save yourself the hassle of wading through the hoards in the lobby in the morning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LMADAMS91 said:

We've used Embassy a couple of times and have always arrived in Ft. Lauderdale early in the morning. Embassy held our bags as our room wasn't ready but we were still able to get into our room around noon (even though check in is 4PM.) We didn't pay anything extra (but are Hilton Honors members, so maybe that helps?)  Get your shuttle ticket for the transfer to the pier when you check in to save yourself the hassle of wading through the hoards in the lobby in the morning. 

Yup, even my early, early check in didn’t result in any extra charges and yes, I’m a HHonors member.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/27/2020 at 11:55 PM, waltd said:

I agree you don't need a Princess Transfer and hotel in Fort Lauderdale.    Taxi's to the port and surrounding hotels are  cheap.   Less then a 20 minute drive.   I'm sure you can find a hotel in the area that  Keith mentioned above.    They are almost walking distance to the port.   A long walk but not far.   Far cheaper to book your own hotel.  

If you were going to some foreign port  I might look at a Princess transfer and hotel but not Fort Lauderdale.  Also agree that you will probably not get into a room until at least 2 pm.   

Depends on the time of year. There have been posts from people who have found that sleeping on an airport bench was better than paying $400 for a room for one night.

I bet that even if you booked months in advance, there are no inexpensive hotel rooms anywhere in the area this coming wekend.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2020 at 5:29 AM, dog said:

Many suggestions on the Florida ports of call forum on this site

True as there are scores of hotels in the area.  We have used the Crowne Plaza most frequently.  It has a local Hertz outlet and you can score a car booking ahead at a great rate to go one-way from FLL to the hotel and you have a car if you want to drive around anywhere ahead of cruise day.  That Hertz outlet services PE, so they are running shuttles back and forth and that is a free ride (tip the driver discretionary, but nice to do).  Our friends have done it in reverse and picked up a car there post-cruise for the day when they had an evening flight home.  I don't like the port shuttle service as you never know when get picked up and when they will go to your pier terminal. 

PS - Don't think I have ever been in a hotel that wouldn't hold bags for guests. 

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1