News on the Westerdam

dillpickle48

1 minute ago, kazu said:

I am fully aware that the passenger was found in Malaysia at the airport.  I have been keeping up very carefully as I had friends on this ship and have an interest as well since many are coming back to Canada.

And to correct you no, passengers at the hotel have been been tested. I am not relying on HAL’s reports 😉 

I know what I have read & seen as does my DH who is glued more than I and knowledgeable on this.  

I guess you have a bee in your bonnet and want to argue for arguments sake.

So be it.  

Good for you, check your own bonnet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

If it helps, the 400+ passengers that were held back when the one woman tested positive have all tested negative.

That’s over 35% of the passengers on the ship.  

I saw comments about what sort of testing was done at the hotel in Cambodia. It was a nasal swab. My parents are the ones in the hotel and described what was done. It was far more than a temperature check at the hotel. That’s the test the 400+ people had and all came back negative. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am here in the hotel.  The testing was conducted by a health team - some of whom were in full hazmat gear - and consisted of a temperature check, a medical information form and two swabs - one nasal, and one throat.  Please do not give false information .  We are now waiting to be flown home.  We are virus free!

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, pictonite said:

I am here in the hotel.  The testing was conducted by a health team - some of whom were in full hazmat gear - and consisted of a temperature check, a medical information form and two swabs - one nasal, and one throat.  Please do not give false information .  We are now waiting to be flown home.  We are virus free!

That’s wonderful news that you’re Negative!    Safe travels and wishing you the very best!  Also, thank you for your  updates!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pictonite said:

Yes, thanks for update from someone who is there.  Safe travels. 

9 hours ago, hal2008 said:

May be someone on this board will know better.

One of the post above as well as CDC website mention that rRT-PCR takes few hours.

Why is screening in Japan takes 2-3 days?

You wud assume that people being takem on the evacuation plane by USA wud get the best screening possible but 14 people were found during the transfer from bus to plane based on tests done 2-3 days ago.

Bit confused.

2-3 days earlier is when the samples were taken, not when the tests were completed. The actual test is a process that has to be done individually by a trained lab tech working with the required supplies and equipment.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/nih-official-diamond-princess-quarantine-failed

"The quarantine process failed," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the NIH, speaking to USA Today. "I'd like to sugarcoat it and try to be diplomatic about it, but it failed . . . Something went awry in the process of the quarantining on that ship. I don't know what it was, but a lot of people got infected on that ship."

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen said that Cambodian authorities would use three aircraft for the passenger ship of MS Westerdam from Cambodia to other countries today.

In handing over a diploma to students at the National Institute of Education today, Mr. Hun Sen said that about 500 MS Westerdam passengers staying in Phnom Penh would leave Cambodia on a 777 aircraft that could transport them. More than 300 people flew to Dubai.

Hun Sen said:  1 aircraft carrying more than 300 people from the capital to Dubai. According to information from the ship's side. Another plane will take from Phnom Penh to Japan, and there will be another plane from Sihanoukville to the capital of any country in our region. ” .

http://www.camnews.org/2020/02/18/លោក-ហ៊ុន-សែន-ថ្លែងថា-យន្ត/

44 minutes ago, dado123456 said:

Not everyone finds a flight from Cambodia

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4778856002?__twitter_impression=true

Guests in capitol stranded in hotels, are slowly but surely cleared and get travel arrangements, including medical proof that they are virus free. 

At this moment, even HAL CEO is present in the hotel, to talk to the guests.

Really good article that @Hlitner posted there.

Since coronavirus seems to hit people over 80 really hard, with 15% deaths, according to this study in China, and so many cruisers are elderly, perhaps WHO will get more aggressive in its recommendations regarding cruises.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8015951/Most-coronavirus-infections-mild-says-Chinese-study.html

Here's a better link to the new study I posted there at #1171.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51540981

Edit to add that this study refers to patients in China, with their available health care, but then if one is on a cruise, who knows where health care would be delivered.

Edited by AncientWanderer
Clarification
  • Like 1

Quick question to the Westerdam (ex-) passengers. I found threads on Twitter today, where a couple of people tried to warn and get more info because one of their friends had been confined to their cabin, after pneumonia was diagnosed by x-ray in the ship's medical center. Those exchanges started on Feb 13, you can see them by searching for pneumonia and @Halcruises on Twitter.

One passenger confirmed that people onboard knew about the pneumonia case. 

Is this true? 

49 minutes ago, Seavoyage said:

Oh my!  I guess they will have this book on the top of many bookstore displays, especially in airports.   I will have to add it to my Kindle and read it on our next cruise 🙂

Hank

• Like 1