CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

36 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

No. But the point is that this is a fluid situation. The extreme measures that China and these countries are taking: closing their borders and ports, banning all flights to/from and quarantining citizens, when the reported number of deaths worldwide is less than 1,000 while 10,000 people in the US have died of flu in the 2019-2020 season leads me to believe that these governments know more than we know.

Add to that the images, stories and videos out of China and the fact that the Diamond Princess has 130+ cases and I do not want to take the risk that I am on a train, plane or bus let alone a cruiseship isolated in the middle of the ocean with someone who is infected.

This virus seems to have a long incubation and people seem to be able to be infected and asymptomatic, so that's a huge risk.

The Caribbean Princess that left 2/2/20 had a noro outbreak, was denied port calls in St. Kitts and Barbados and is returning to port in Florida 5 days early.  Is that really because of noro, or are these tiny Caribbean nations looking for any excuse to deny port stops to MegaLiners?  I don't want to be on a 12 day Caribbean cruise to nowhere whether there's noro/corona or no virus on-board. 

If people come and go for the next 30 days on cruises in the Caribbean without a problem, then maybe I'll get to enjoy my cruise with it's 6 ports on the 15th, too!   If people report their experiences, then in aggregate I'll have accurate, first hand, real time, real world information before I make a decision to board. That is hard to come by these days.

Let’s all hope the Diamond Princess is an isolated case.   I can only measure the incubation period by what the experts say.  This is being treated seriously for due cause.  That said, we should take solace in their actions not gas on the fire of fear.   

2 hours ago, Thorncroft said:

Still not enough.  Everytime another case is confirmed on Diamond Princess the 14 day clock starts over again. Those people may never get off until every last one of them gets sick.  In about a month people will be faking symtoms or actively trying to get sick just to try to escape from the ship. 

The folks on Princess ship in quarantine were told it would end on Feb 19 and as of tonight the gentleman who has been posting regular updates based on information they are receiving from Princess said the clock has not reset based on new cases....or at least not yet

Edited by Host Carolyn
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Think critically.  So much is unknown.  Pay attention to what is happening in the world around you and that should inform your understanding.  I want to go on my cruise, but I also want to stay safe.  

Totally agree. But until there is a case in the Carribean, or a heavier concentration in the US, or something that would affect my cruise, Then there is literally nothing to do but wait and see.

If information changes, then my thinking will change. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierpop said:

Then there is literally nothing to do but wait and see.

Exactly. That's why I asked posters to report from their cruises for the the next 30 days, so I could be informed while I wait and see.  Everyone cruising in the next 60-90 days should be searching for accurate information.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

The folks on Princess ship in quarantine were told it would end on Feb 19 and as of tonight the gentleman who has been posting regular updates based so on information they are receiving from Princess said the clock has not reset based on new cases....or at least not yet

Thank you, is this on the Princess board?

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Maybe I misunderstood.  Are there any ships other than the Diamond Princess that have had an outbreaK?  We were in contact with someone on Anthem OTS while they sorted that out.  They knew less than we knew.  Has anyone seen any regular posts from the Diamond Princess?

Yes, a British man has been doing regular updates from onboard for a week

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

The folks on Princess ship in quarantine were told it would end on Feb 19 and as of tonight the gentleman who has been posting regular updates based so on information they are receiving from Princess said the clock has not reset based on new cases....or at least not yet

Thank you. Best to have actual information instead of relying on uninformed speculation.

25 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

Yes, a British man has been doing regular updates from onboard for a week

I am answering this question:

"Maybe I misunderstood.  Are there any ships other than the Diamond Princess that have had an outbreaK?"

No, I don't think this information is accurate.

I think Diamond is the only one with confirmed cases.  Caribbean Princess has a Noro outbreak and is returning to port but as far as I know, they do not have Corona test kits so they have to send samples to the CDC. This was the protocol all over the US until a few days ago since test kits were so limited.

I think the British Man that Carolyn is referencing is David Abel on the Diamond.  Carolyn, is that correct?

Edited by SunNFunCruzer
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not sure how I missed that, thanks.  

Here is a link to David Abel's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBs-M0p8pDy1yIQgatSE2-w

Last one from 2 hours ago:

I have not heard about any confirmed cases on any other ship.

Edited by SunNFunCruzer

8 hours ago, Joe817 said:

For those following this, The Princess board on CC has blown up to 41 pages on this topic, since Feb. 2. I'm starting to follow there as well:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2730905-diamond-princess-passenger-tested-positive-for-wuhan-coronavirus/

Fascinating read

9 hours ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

The Caribbean Princess that left 2/2/20 had a noro outbreak,

was denied port calls in St. Kitts and Barbados

-  Is that really because of noro,

or are these tiny Caribbean nations looking for any excuse

to deny port stops to MegaLiners? 

Let me assure you that visiting cruise ships and their passengers

are a necessary part of our island economy.

"Looking for any excuse to deny port stops" -does not compute, sorry.
Our taxi drivers are saddened by your non-arrival

- and lunch places likewise.

We need you, and are glad to have you land here

although our public health officials must do what they think best

in the island's interest. No offence or nuthin...

Just clarifying.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aplmac said:

Just clarifying.

Well said and oh so true

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Just clarifying.

While I understand the concern and angst, there is simply no reason not to cruise (or travel)in the US or Caribbean.  Enjoy life, fear is a life sucker. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

We sail Sunday. I am concerned but am still sailing unless something drastic happens before then. I am more concerned because I have a cough from allergies that they could deny boarding to me.

Laura

I have allergies as well and understand the thought process.  Enjoy your cruise!

I have not gone through this entire thread, so this may have been posted already.

Anyway, this is a useful "tool" from John Hopkins to follow what's going on with the virus and where it's spread:  LINK

The 135 "others" are the passengers from Diamond Princess who are known to be infected.

Approximately 90 total doctors and nurses have been brought aboard Diamond Princess yesterday so passengers are anticipating they will now all be tested regardless of whether or not  have fever or symptoms.  Feb. 19 still date they are to be released from ship quarantine

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 9:09 AM, WashCoCruisers said:

That's right - I forgot about the manifest submission.

However, I thought that was primarily used for terrorism suspects. 

Not entirely the case!  Had a friend of a friend who was ready to embark with her husband, Homeland Security came and arrested him for outstanding warrants in Florida, he spent the cruise time in jail and she had to go ahead and go on the cruise!!! They wouldn't even let her get off the boat!

I know this to be a fact as well.  Last August we sailed to Alaska with a friend, who had the same date of birth and exact name as a wanted fugitive in Canada.  He was taken when we docked in Canada by Canadian authorities and spent several hours before being returned when they confirmed it was a mistaken identity.   

2 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

We sail Sunday. I am concerned but am still sailing unless something drastic happens before then. I am more concerned because I have a cough from allergies that they could deny boarding to me.

Laura

I don’t sail until May, but if things are still crazy by then I think I’ll ask my doctor for a note saying my cough is from allergies and my blood pressure medicine.  I think if I sailed as soon as you do a note from your doctor may come in handy if you can get it.

Enjoy your cruise!