Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

42 minutes ago, BoatsandTrains said:

We are in the same boat (pun intended) Eastbound at the end of April and Westbound in late May.  This trip was planned long ago our 3 weeks on land  were to include Italy.   In a wait and see mode.  

Leaving aside the crossing, can you take the European section to avoid Italy, if necessary?

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, appeared on "Meet the Press" today and said “When I say protect, I mean right now. Not wait until things get worse. Say no large crowds, no long trips. And above all, don't get on a cruise ship.”  

I wonder how such comments will impact Cunard's thinking and their policy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tijc52 said:

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, appeared on "Meet the Press" today and said “When I say protect, I mean right now. Not wait until things get worse. Say no large crowds, no long trips. And above all, don't get on a cruise ship.”  

I wonder how such comments will impact Cunard's thinking and their policy.

What Dr Fauci said on Meet the Press is “If you have an underlying medical condition, don’t get on a cruise ship”.    Let’s not create more hysteria than is already out there.   

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

If that's official government advice would it be sufficient to allow people to claim on their travel insurance ?

As far as I know that's not the UK government's position at the moment.

It is the same in Canada; it is not yet a government advisory. To claim on most travel insurance policies it has to be an advisory from the Department of Foreign Affairs. Two prominent doctors - the federal chief medical officer and the equivalent in the province of British Columbia - have recommended Canadians not take a cruise.

7 minutes ago, lvmypug said:

What Dr Fauci said on Meet the Press is “If you have an underlying medical condition, don’t get on a cruise ship”.    Let’s not create more hysteria than is already out there.   

My point is that such comments are likely to influence how companies respond.  I do not believe his comments are likely to cause hysteria, and have found him to be among the most reliable of the officials tasked with speaking about the situation.

5 hours ago, BoatsandTrains said:

We are in the same boat (pun intended) Eastbound at the end of April and Westbound in late May.  This trip was planned long ago our 3 weeks on land  were to include Italy.   In a wait and see mode.  

Sounds like your are on the same eastbound TA as me. I was really looking forward to it. I used to live in NYC. I have a lot of american soccer friends who celebrate St Georges (the english version of St Patricks day). We probably won't be going. And I think it would be a nightmare being onboard no one will do much I don't think.

The NYT has a piece today about the Diamond Princess and the doctor that is head of Carnival Corp medical plans. Tells how bad his response was yet he said he has no regrets and is now in charge of the Grand Princess disaster. Maybe it is time to give cruise ships a break. We have a trip on QM for June 29. If I can get my money back I think I will. I don't believe I will get sick but could we'll get caught up in some sort of holding pattern.

• Like 1

The NYT piece was interesting.  Lots of missed chances, poor communication and bad decisions.  I think everyone learned from their mistakes, both cruise companies and governments.

33 minutes ago, tijc52 said:

We're on the same sailing as you (June 29) and hoping a few weeks will make things much clearer.

I hope so. I booked this because we live here and no planes involved so it should be easy plus all US ports but one. Maybe Trump should wave the Jones act until this changes.

I am on the June 21 sailing, westbound TA (8 nights with a stop in Le Havre). We are already paid in full for the crossing (deadline was Feb 22). Furthermore, I have another 15 days to cancel where we are charged  25% of cruise (after that it jumps to 40%). While I would have been ok taking my chances that I might not  get sick, what concerns me is the fact that any of the 2000+ other people on that crossing might get sick, and we might be stuck in quarantine for another 1-2 weeks. My job is not conducive to remote work.  I am waiting to see if Cunard will be flexible...I am happy with rescheduling for a future cruise in late 2020 or 2021. It would be the second time I am cancelling a Cunard crossing...I’m feeling jinxed!! 

Am am interested in hearing what others similarly situated are approaching the situation.

thank you in advance! 

Edited by Meliador
Typo

I have a 14 day sept 11. Final payment is May 14, after which I lose my $1100 deposit. Princess Grills. Age 72. Can no longer buy cancel for any reason. If Cunard does not extend the Final pay date, I am cancelling. Paying $14000.00for two people and the price has gone up. 

todayva friend got an offer for $700 per person for a Balcony. I don't see that when I check. Cunard needs to do something and soon. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Meliador said:

Am am interested in hearing what others similarly situated are approaching the situation.

thank you in advance! 

I have cancelled a June 7th cruise on the Queen Victoria. Final payment was tomorrow and i'm not prepared to risk it, I've lost my deposit afaik.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I thought deposits were refundable for US bookings ?

For U.S. and Canadian bookings, Cunard  recently extended the final payment date to 120 days in advance from 90. Unless I have read it wrong, a cancellation between 90 and 120 days in advance results in forfeiture of the deposit, whatever it may be. Then the sliding scale of percentage kicks in. Prior to 120 days deposits are still refundable.

Cunard has been slow to respond to passengers' comments on their Facebook page. Today there was this response:

"Hi Linda, a temporary cancellation policy has been put in place for the current situation with COVID-19. This allows more flexibility for those guests within balance due date and have been deemed unfit to travel by a medical practitioner. For more information, please call our contact centre at: 03453 550 300 who will be able to assist you."

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, texanaust said:

So am I correct in understanding that all Carnival Corp owned lines with the exception of Cunard are now allowing people to cancel and receive a FCC?

You are correct. 

44 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I thought deposits were refundable for US bookings ?

That varies from one US promotion to the next.

The last few years, Cunard has offered what they call Value Fares in the US for a few months after the launch of the new schedules. In fact, for some 2021 voyages, Value Fares are still available to book through April 30. Those special lower fares have reduced 12.5% non-refundable deposits.

Also, many of the limited-time promotions in the US (such as the Chinese New Year Offer and Presidents' Day Sale) have low $100 non-refundable deposits as part of those promotions.

Edit: And yes, for US cancellations made between 120 and 91 days of sailing (for voyages of 30 nights or less), the cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.

Edited by bluemarble