Formal night? Do many dress up?

Sunrise101

We are new to Royal and going on Oasis this June.  My teens actually like the idea of getting to dress up for dinner, but they don’t want to stick out and be the only ones. I know cruising trends towards more casual these days but will we be all alone in our formal wear?

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

So in June I think Oasis is in Bayonne. I mention that because the percentage of people who dress for formal night seems to be tied to the port as much as anything. While there are less people who dress up each cruise we've done, there still are plenty who do. At Bayonne it is less than ports like Ft Lauderdale, but more than Baltimore. There are enough who participate in formal night that those who do NOT dress up are more noticeable, at least to me. No judgement, but just personally I never want to be under-dressed for anything. Don't need to be best either, but appropriate. I think these days a tux is pretty rare, but suits and ties for men is most common. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, doa70 said:

So in June I think Oasis is in Bayonne. I mention that because the percentage of people who dress for formal night seems to be tied to the port as much as anything. While there are less people who dress up each cruise we've done, there still are plenty who do. At Bayonne it is less than ports like Ft Lauderdale, but more than Baltimore. There are enough who participate in formal night that those who do NOT dress up are more noticeable, at least to me. No judgement, but just personally I never want to be under-dressed for anything. Don't need to be best either, but appropriate. I think these days a tux is pretty rare, but suits and ties for men is most common. 

4 minutes ago, tOSUSteve said:

You will be in the minority, but if they enjoy it who cares!! WEAR WHAT YOU MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!

Thank you both!

• Like 1

My family still dresses up for formal nights.  We actually enjoy it.  Our daily lives don't involve formal parties or events, so the chance to dress up and be fancy for the evening while on a cruise is something we enjoy doing.  Suits and ties for the guys and cocktail or evening gowns for the girls.  We realize the trend of dressing up is changing and now overrated, but it's something we still enjoy doing.  You will not be the only one dressed up on formal night.  As a previous poster stated, I tend to notice those not dressed up more than those dressed up.  Do what makes you and your family happy... it's your vacation!

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Sunrise101 said:

We are new to Royal and going on Oasis this June.  My teens actually like the idea of getting to dress up for dinner, but they don’t want to stick out and be the only ones. I know cruising trends towards more casual these days but will we be all alone in our formal wear?

Thanks for your help!

No you will not. Most dress up for the pictures. Very few with shorts etc.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Sunrise101 said:

I’m sorry, it was not my intention to offend. 

Don't be sorry, it is a great question and one that I had before our January 27th sailing on the Oasis from Miami.  On formal night you will see one or two men wearing tux, several wearing suits and sport jackets and the majority, like my husband, wearing docker type pants with either a dress shirt or golf shirts.  My husband wore a pullover sweater on one of the formal nights that looked very nice.  I wore black pants with a semi-shinny top and on the second formal a top with a few little jewels around the collar.  I thought everyone looked nice and we enjoyed getting dressed up a little but not so much that I got any grumbles from my husband.  Like everyone says, just wear what you feel comfortable wearing.  It's your vacation!

• Like 2

It just depends on the cruise for me. If I'm flying and am already packing a lot of clothes like on Alaska or the east coast then I probably won't also pack a suit. If we're driving to the port and going out of Galveston then I'm more likely to. 

My upcoming trip is with a bunch of my nieces and nephews who have never cruised before and we're celebrating their graduations. We're driving to the port. Most of us don't ever dress up at home so it's a good excuse to. Plus I'm sure my parents, their grandparents will want pics with everyone. I doubt they'll all be suited/gowned out but a little nicer than normal. 

Your teens may be in the minority, but with 5k people on board I'm confident in saying they won't be the ONLY ones dressed up. If they enjoy it, then go for it. They can always go back and change into comfy clothes after dinner. 

• Like 1

While cruising has become more casual, I'd say that anywhere from 45% - 75% still get dressed-up on formal night.  At least on 7-night cruises. Not tux-and-ball gown nice but going to a wedding reception nice. 

I'd say the percentage was probably higher with woman than men. So there will be plenty that you and your teens will not feel out of place.

• Like 2

My food taste the same regardless of what I’m wearing.

These days with 50lbs max per suitcase. And airlines charging for everything else. Who needs the hassle of packing dress shoes, suits, dresses, gowns ect. We pack light, not looking to impress anyone. When I’m on vacation. I usually don’t even pack underwear or sock...

Just kidding, I always pack socks...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I love wearing my bespoke suits on the formal nights.  They look great and feel great.

Question for the ladies.  How do you feel about leaving your fancy evening dress in the closet at home because your male companion is "on vacation" and "needs to feel comfortable?"  And would you rather be dancing in your shimmery cocktail dress with a man wearing a suit or tuxedo once in awhile?

I for one am happy to see my favorite lady in an evening dress as often as possible.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

No you will not. Most dress up for the pictures. Very few with shorts etc.

I disagree, there were lots of shorts on our Oasis cruise even on formal , not saying nobody dressed up but I thought they were in the minority. Need a time machine to go back several years to find most people dressing for formal. 

• Like 1

*shrugs* I wear the same thing for dinner every night regardless of what night it is.  Jeans, dress shirt with sleeves rolled up, tie, and vest.  For me it fits hits the nice enough to look good but still comfortable checkboxes just right.  I've seen a range of shorts and tank top to tuxes, and on the last one a gentleman who had a different _very_ vibrant Christmas themed suit every night.  You do you, if you're overdressed you'll likely get some attention and compliments, if you're underdressed no one's going to say a thing.  Have fun with it. 

• Like 1

Whether they dress up in a tux, suit and tie, polo and slacks, t-shirt and jeans, or t-shirt and shorts, they will not stick out and will not be the only ones wearing whatever they choose to wear.  Whatever it ends up being, enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

My opinion. Jeans are not dress up. Not even close. But it is your choice to wear them. I grew up in farm country and that is what all the farmers wore. Never when they went out. Slacks. The jeans, dungarees, denim, levies and overalls Only on the farm. All in place on laugh in. Wear what you want, I will do the same. Enjoy the cruise. Again, Just my opinion.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

You cannot be overdressed on a cruise but those that wear shorts are very vocal about there rights .

Totally agree. I would feel out of place and very uncomfortable dressed in beach clothes in the evening. Plus the ship is much colder in the evening. Brrrrr. However it is common place in the buffet and the shows.

• Like 2

We dress up, its a great opportunity to get that family picture too!  We will skip all but one formal night, if there are more than one that is, we don't have room in our suitcases for two formal outfits.  When we don't feel like dressing up or getting out of our shorts we hit the buffet :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2

I seen a bunch of kids dressed up on formal night.  Thought it was cute.    

but for me.  Shorts and nice button ups.  And on formal night.   Lol 

I can appreciate someone that gets dressed up. Especially the kids.  
But it’s just not me while on vacation.  wear what makes you feel comfortable. 
and enjoy.   

C7C4CF9F-4321-4B63-B63E-BA2F579F027E.jpeg

E9E22DD9-D438-4B7B-BC56-A9635AE9C2ED.jpeg

9298F67F-9CFE-494C-A153-ABBFB599F85C.jpeg

• Like 4

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions.  It has been immensely helpful.  I informed the kids that’s it’s a very mixed bag leaning more casual and they still want to dress up.  And are looking forward to going shopping! Ha!

Thanks again!

• Like 2

Just off Explorer of the Seas.

Formal very few tuxes, some suits, fair number of sport coats, but mostly collared shirt with casual slacks for men.

Casual night, good mix of dress/casual shorts with golf shirts or jerseys.

Fair number very dressy dresses having pictures taken.

About the only out of place look was a gentleman in 60's wearing cut off sleeves at the shoulder every casual night and the tuxedo t shirt on formal nights.

other than him, wearing what was comfortable was acceptable to most.

• Like 1